A New Story About What Happened........

H2o

According to the NY Post, Michael Vick's cousin and Thursday night shooting victim Quanis Phillips smashed cake in Vick's face after Michael and his brother Marcus told Phillips to leave Vick's birthday party last week.

Phillips was told to leave because associating with him is a violation of Vick's parole. "Michael didn't react, I was surprised," said a witness of the cake smashing. Marcus Vick did get "very agitated," and Phillips was later shot in the leg outside the nightclub. Since Phillips was not an invited guest and Michael Vick had no role in the shooting, he should avoid NFL discipline

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vick still appears to be walking a fine line - why not have the party at someone's house? Then you may have a bit more control over who is trying to bust in on the party. Good for him that he did not react poorly in the situation but he set himself up in a plce where the situation could have been bad.

Vick still appears to be walking a fine line - why not have the party at someone's house? Then you may have a bit more control over who is trying to bust in on the party. Good for him that he did not react poorly in the situation but he set himself up in a plce where the situation could have been bad.

A man has to be able to live his life without rules that some idiot like you define for him.

A man has to be able to live his life without rules that some idiot like you define for him.

Whoa, there--kind of harsh?

BuffaloBill makes a good point-- Vick needs to take precautions not to put himself in situations like that, which means having his party at home, or having security guards around him, etc.

true but you could call that more of a lesson of oversight than active bad judgement as was the case in most of his previous trouble. depending on that situation it might have been relatively reasonable not to expect a troublemaker to show up or at least think you can handle it if they do

just speculating but im hoping its one of those situations where when you try to clean up your act your old crowd tries to drag you back. so far vick hasnt shown me much true growth but it would be nice if this story turned out to be something like what really happened

it would be a relief to see one brother saved from the mentality that has marvin harrison standing in the street like some black wild west gun slinger raining bullets on some other ghetto doucherat

Vick's lucky to not be working construction right now. When you can get suspended for nearly anything, and considering all the things he did in the past, you'd think he would have a better handle on who comes to the party, so nothing like this happens.

I think he is way better off that this party was at a public place as opposed to his or someone's house. If there was gunfire on his property and the cops were called, he is in way deeper hot water. Here there is at least plausable deniability.

Whoa, there--kind of harsh?

BuffaloBill makes a good point-- Vick needs to take precautions not to put himself in situations like that, which means having his party at home, or having security guards around him, etc.

I don't have the caliber of home that Michael Vick has (ability to entertain, security, etc), so my frame of reference. Having said that, the scenario may not have been better if he had the party at his home.

If I have a party at my house, and an uninvited former acquaintance hears about it, its possible that there will be a confrontation when he is asked to leave. If I have a party at a bar (not a club person), the exact same scenario is possible. Either way, this guy clearly heard about the event, knew he was uninvited, and showed up with the intent of making a scene if he was told to leave.

Granted no one would be shot if they were leaving my house or a bar I'd go to, but I haven't heard any report say whether the shooting involved any of Vick's friends. If Vick's friend shot him, it doesn't look good. If a bouncer shot a guy that just hit a wealthy patron with a cake, its pretty blameless.

Actually, the commissioner of the NFL has defined those rules for Vick as a condition for allowing him to play in the league.

Someone else said it perfectly in another, similar, thread. "Has anyone on this board ever been to a party where someone was shot?" Highly doubtful; and even more likely that no one even KNOWS someone who's been to a party where someone was shot.

Vick put himself in this mess; because it's all he knows. He's a thug. Plain and simple.

I think the NFL has every reason to discipline him and get him out of the league for good. And I hope they do just that.

Get up on the wrong side this morning?

I was not trying to set rules for him. Given there are conditions, assigned by Goodell (not me) that he has to abide by to continue his career, other arrangements to celebrate his b'day may have been better. Keep in mind that being a high paid athlete is not a right. In Vick's case it is a gift that comes with conditions.

Those rules didn't include not having a 30th birthday party in a public place.

Maybe not is those exact words but I bet there is something about the type of people you hang out with, alcohol or maybe firearms in the the area. He doesn't have to be guilty by the law but the commish can be very liberal in his interpretation of what happened.

Get up on the wrong side this morning?

I was not trying to set rules for him. Given there are conditions, assigned by Goodell (not me) that he has to abide by to continue his career, other arrangements to celebrate his b'day may have been better. Keep in mind that being a high paid athlete is not a right. In Vick's case it is a gift that comes with conditions.

unfortunately, you are right.

look. mike vick can hang with anyone he wants at anytime. well, absent the arrest and prison time he would be able to. given his prison time and rules associated with his release, he has to be more careful than a pre-arrest michael vick. given his potential earning power as an nfl player, one might logically assume he would want to extend his own personal checklist of people to avoid to include those who might pop a cap in someone's ass. we can argue all day about whether or not people should smash cake or throw cake or hit cake, and what the result should be.

all the other arguments to the contrary, it seems he only needs to follow timmo's 3 Simple Rules to Multi-Million Dollar Succces for Michael Vick:

1. don't screw up again.

2. don't hang out with people who screw up.

3. don't hang out with people who might know people who screw up.

after you factor out all those people, there are still tons of people left to hang out with. besides, he only needs to follow timmos' 3 simple rules for another 24-36 months or so. then, he can hang out with anyone the law will allow him to hang out with.

so say i.

Here's a simple rule to follow if your Michael Vick: If your friends carry guns, and would pull them out at a frickin birthday party, then maybe they're not the kind of people you should be around.

Michael Vick is known to hold a high opinion of himself, and likes the thug image. He has to incur some responsibility having people with guns around him, plain and simple. It's hard not to see the same attitude that got him into trouble the first time, and I'm sure he had plenty smartass remarks to say while in the company of his thug entourage that would make someone smash cake into his face. Does anyone really think this guy just walked in, grabbed a handful of cake and smashed it into poor, innocent, sweet, kind, soft spoken, gentle Mike Vick's face? Yeah right!