Felser article on Gailey

ACor58

I think Larry got his "Bills" mixed up, i.e., Cowher vs. Parsells. I am glad to see that his editors just give him a pass.

The fans wanted someone else coaching their team, preferably a big name. A popular choice was Bill Parcells, "The Tuna."

The public remembered that Parcells had won two Super Bowls as coach of the New York Giants. Apparently it was like yesterday with the grousers, since Parcells' last Super victory came 20 years ago, courtesy of "Wide Right." Parcells last coached from 2003 to 2006, in Dallas. He had a 34-32 record with the Cowboys, qualified for two playoffs but lost twice, left coaching and now runs the Miami front office.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/26/1095...o-judgment.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Larry got his "Bills" mixed up, i.e., Cowher vs. Parsells. I am glad to see that his editors just give him a pass.

The fans wanted someone else coaching their team, preferably a big name. A popular choice was Bill Parcells, "The Tuna."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/26/1095...o-judgment.html

I saw that and had the same reaction. That's more than a typo. It's a complete brain fart on his part.

The Tuna might have been a "popular choice" in the sauna room at Larry's country club, but not on any Bills fan site that I ever saw.

I thought it was an interesting stream-of-unconsciousness piece by Felser. He connected some interesting dots. I thought that this was a an interesting comment, too:

"It's been almost six months since Gailey was hired and a large chunk of the sporting public here is still treating him like a pariah."

My sense of the mood amongst Bills fans is that Gailey was not a popular hire but since then, a combination of optimism, resignation, and ultimately acceptance has set in. It seems to me that the prevailing sentiment is that "this guy might have a chance to succeed, let's give him that chance and see what he can do."

Felser might not have his finger on the pulse as much as he used to.

I thought it was an interesting stream-of-unconsciousness piece by Felser. He connected some interesting dots. I thought that this was a an interesting comment, too:

"It's been almost six months since Gailey was hired and a large chunk of the sporting public here is still treating him like a pariah."

My sense of the mood amongst Bills fans is that Gailey was not a popular hire but since then, a combination of optimism, resignation, and ultimately acceptance has set in. It seems to me that the prevailing sentiment is that "this guy might have a chance to succeed, let's give him that chance and see what he can do."

Felser might not have his finger on the pulse as much as he used to.

From what I've seen around here, people are giving Gailey too much credit & think he'll be a miracle worker with at least one of our QBs. I don't see any Gailey is worse than Jauron posts, at least not yet. I'm sure at some point we will, especially when the poster's guy is not picked as the starting QB & the guy he hates the most is.

From what I've seen around here, people are giving Gailey too much credit & think he'll be a miracle worker with at least one of our QBs. I don't see any Gailey is worse than Jauron posts, at least not yet. I'm sure at some point we will, especially when the poster's guy is not picked as the starting QB & the guy he hates the most is.

As Felser says (even though he's totally off-base on the fans wanting Parcells), we should wait until the team plays games before making a determination. But I can't see anyone in their right mind claiming that Gailey is worse than Jauron, even if his/her QB isn't picked to start.

I've always like reading Felser's articles. He is extremely knowledgeable about football.

Thing is - I'm really getting sick of his references to "the old days" of football. He is kind of stuck in the past as far as his article content & references. Can he please stop bringing up Sid Gillman, 50's & 60's stuff??!!! Join the new millenium Larry!

Felsers' article is the first time anywhere that I heard that bills fans were clamoring for parcells. I can't imagine it was more than a handfull of people. I personally CAN"T STAND parcells and would have hated him being our coach. I'm still pissed at him for beating us in Tampa! and he's an arrogant a-hole as far as I am concerned. Many of us, me included, wanted cowher. But somehow, I think we got the right man for the job. Only time will tell of course, but I don't cringe anymore like I used to with jauron. and that's a good thing.

Felsers' article is the first time anywhere that I heard that bills fans were clamoring for parcells. I can't imagine it was more than a handfull of people. I personally CAN"T STAND parcells and would have hated him being our coach. I'm still pissed at him for beating us in Tampa! and he's an arrogant a-hole as far as I am concerned. Many of us, me included, wanted cowher. But somehow, I think we got the right man for the job. Only time will tell of course, but I don't cringe anymore like I used to with jauron. and that's a good thing.

There was a rumor that Parcells was going to leave the Dols, because he had an opt-out clause in his contract. But he never exercised it, so I have no idea what Felser is talking about.

As for Parcells, his teams have steadily done worse. The Giants were SB winners. The Pats were SB losers. The Jets lost in the AFCCG. The Cowboys and Dols didn't win a a playoff game.

great pick-ups from everyone on here......i was shaking my head at that article too; larry felser is a true gem for us here in WNY; one of the original beat reporters covering the NFL; but he's ancient; he retired for a reason and his columns frequently prove that people's skills decline with OLD age, not necessarily with just age......

but having said that, it's really more about the decline of the Buffalo News as well; they are in a total cost-cutting mode, getting rid of senior reporters and going with short-term and inexperienced replacements.....also part of the "newspapers are dying" and they don't know what the new business model is scenario.......the fact that they have to make felser produce an article nearly every sunday is a shame, and something they think is good reporting. i'm sure larry's flattered to still be in print, but they're using each other for different purposes......

from a huge felser fan and a huge bills fan, its terrible to watch the buffalo news decline to the point of a near-pennysaver type of publication.

maybe local government can mandate better coverage, create a new department for the mandate, and hire a staff to study this......that's about the only solution we ever get to a problem.

and actually, the solution has become twobillsdrive.com; it's got the best bills coverage anywhere and hopefully the new business model will allow for press passes for people from twobillsdrive so we can get some first-hand coverage......that would be a free and quality solution.

There was a rumor that Parcells was going to leave the Dols, because he had an opt-out clause in his contract. But he never exercised it, so I have no idea what Felser is talking about.

As for Parcells, his teams have steadily done worse. The Giants were SB winners. The Pats were SB losers. The Jets lost in the AFCCG. The Cowboys and Dols didn't win a a playoff game.

You have just cited what I like to call the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns (BPLoDR for short). It can be joined with the Jimmy Johnson Corollary, which states that it is easier to look like a genius with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith than with Damon Huard and, well, nobody. ;)

I've always like reading Felser's articles. He is extremely knowledgeable about football.

Thing is - I'm really getting sick of his references to "the old days" of football. He is kind of stuck in the past as far as his article content & references. Can he please stop bringing up Sid Gillman, 50's & 60's stuff??!!! Join the new millenium Larry!

There are plenty of sports "journalists" and reporters covering the game as it stands today. Larry, bringing with him the history of the game and the old AFL days, is frankly quite refreshing. Sadly, when the facts begin to get distorted, or confused, then it may be time for Larry to find another avenue for his passion.

Before Pat Summerall "retired" it became very painful to listen to him. Van Miller wasn't the same his last couple of years either. Age doe slow one, and the mind does not always stay sharp either. That may not be politically correct to say, but there is truth there.

The trust invested in a HC who hasn't done the job in 10 years defies logic. That's not to say Gailey cannot do it, but expecting immediate results in year 1 is a little much, particularly with this team. The Bills are in rebuild mode for 2010.

Parcells' last coaching stop did in fact result in a 34-32 record, albeit with QB's Quincy Carter, Vinnie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, and Tony Romo in his first season. Despite those guys, he went to the playoffs twice in his 4 seasons. Gailey has many of the same challenges, i.e., playing in a tough division without much at QB, and having to rebuild his team.

The trust invested in a HC who hasn't done the job in 10 years defies logic. That's not to say Gailey cannot do it, but expecting immediate results in year 1 is a little much, particularly with this team. The Bills are in rebuild mode for 2010.

Most (sober) fans are very well aware that the Bills are in a rebuilding mode. What most of us are looking for is a front office and coachng staff which is competent. With Gailey and Nix I get the sense that they understand what it takes to rebuild a shattered franchise.

This staff has handled the Lynch foolishness, Schobel vacillations, the qb competition, free agent acquisitions, the draft in a mature and rational way. Whether one agrees with the draft picks there is a sound reason for the approach which was taken and for every draft selection. A similar understandable approach was taken with our second tier free agent pickups in Davis, Edwards and Green.

Chan Gailey is not a genius HC who is going to win because he is capable of overcoming a limited talented roster. What Chan Gailey is is a sound coach who knows how to install a system suited to his players or find players who are suited to his system.

I strongly suspect that the Bills record will not be much better than last year's record. That however doesn't mean that the Bills won't be better and play at a higher level. Moving in a positive direction is certainly much better than being stuck in the mud as it was with the prior group running the operation.

In a long winded and meandering way I am agreeing with your assessment. LOL