For God's sake innoculate

Beerball

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into a discussion with a professor about vaccinations she actually said that she feared that autism was caused by vaccinations and that vaccinations had no purpose. I pointed out that protecting your kid from Polio, Malaria, and other illnesses was a pretty good thing. She retorted who has Polio anymore, I told her no one has it because the is a vaccination for it.

I don't get why people want to avoid even the most basic vaccinations (I could see the argument for only getting the major ones but none at all makes no sense) for fear of that's what causes autism even thought most research supports the fact that vaccinations do not have any link to autism. Even the evidence that supports the theory that autism is caused by vaccinations is basically either anecdotal (Well my child had autism and he had vaccinations) or well they happened at the same time so one causes another (The old correlation equals causality fallacy).

The research paper that began all this insanity was retracted by The Lancet earlier this year as well. As JA said..nucking fut-jobs!

Link

The medical journal The Lancet on Tuesday retracted a controversial 1998 paper that linked the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine to autism.

The study subsequently had been discredited, and last week, the lead author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, was found to have acted unethically in conducting the research.

The General Medical Council, which oversees doctors in Britain, said that "there was a biased selection of patients in The Lancet paper" and that his "conduct in this regard was dishonest and irresponsible."

I never understood how ANYONE could not vaccinate their kids for things like Polio. Really? You want your kid to be a cripple because you're afraid he'll be autistic? Nice.

Polio has been spread exclusively through vaccinations in the U.S. since 1979. I think some vaccines are worse than the risk. In any case, vaccines are not as safe as they should be. Thimoserol can and should be removed from flu vaccines. Mercury free vaccines are roughly double the price.

I do not get vaccines anymore because they make me very sick.

Polio has been spread exclusively through vaccinations in the U.S. since 1979. I think some vaccines are worse than the risk. In any case, vaccines are not as safe as they should be. Thimoserol can and should be removed from flu vaccines. Mercury free vaccines are roughly double the price.

I do not get vaccines anymore because they make me very sick.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. The good these vaccines have done for humanity FAR outweigh the risks. Polio alone was a DEVASTATING disease from bot an individual and societal perspective. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Scarlet Fever all used to take the lives of thousands of children each year. There's no such thing as a perfect solution, but the law of averages is definitely behind the use of vaccines.

You are answering a straw man argument. I never claimed all vaccines are bad. I do not see the relationship between my post and what you wrote.

I think the swine flu vaccine was not worth the risk for healthy people, and most medical professionals agreed by not getting one.

Recent changes in our laws have virtually required vaccines be made to lower standards outside the U.S., resulting in less production capacity and less safe vaccines. Doctors should be able to choose and order vaccines independently of the government provided vaccine supplies.

Since other posters assume that although the main source of mercury ingestion in this country is through shots, shots do not cause autism, what does? Why have rates of autism risen so dramatically?

I got into a discussion with a professor about vaccinations she actually said that she feared that autism was caused by vaccinations and that vaccinations had no purpose. I pointed out that protecting your kid from Polio, Malaria, and other illnesses was a pretty good thing. She retorted who has Polio anymore, I told her no one has it because the is a vaccination for it.

I don't get why people want to avoid even the most basic vaccinations (I could see the argument for only getting the major ones but none at all makes no sense) for fear of that's what causes autism even thought most research supports the fact that vaccinations do not have any link to autism. Even the evidence that supports the theory that autism is caused by vaccinations is basically either anecdotal (Well my child had autism and he had vaccinations) or well they happened at the same time so one causes another (The old correlation equals causality fallacy).

Dat dere is one smert perfessor.

Thats like saying why do we need seat belts, no one flys tru the windshield anymore.

Jim, polio was declared extinct on every continent save the wilds of Africa decades ago. I think there is more information to learn than just taking the stance that all vaccines are always good in every way, like most posters on this thread have suggested.

I got into a discussion with a professor about vaccinations she actually said that she feared that autism was caused by vaccinations and that vaccinations had no purpose. I pointed out that protecting your kid from Polio, Malaria, and other illnesses was a pretty good thing. She retorted who has Polio anymore...

So... what were you doing at Liberty University? :censored:

Why have rates of autism risen so dramatically?

For one thing, the disorder is better understood today than it was even 20 years ago. For another, it's probably over-diagnosed. My money is on additives to food.

The link between autism and vaccines is spurious at best, horrifying in consequence at worst.

You could make the same claim for type 1 (not weight related) diabetes. Perhaps there is a relationship between the recent increases in a number of diseases/conditions. Theories on latent genetic traits being activated by an environmental trigger are hot areas of intrigue and research. Whether it's this or something else, I hope they can prove a causal relationship soon.

Jim, polio was declared extinct on every continent save the wilds of Africa decades ago. I think there is more information to learn than just taking the stance that all vaccines are always good in every way, like most posters on this thread have suggested.

I understand your point, it is rare, but still exists. If all vaccines were stopped, it would take only one "typhoid Mary" to spread it to the general population. And on the record, I have and never will get a "flu" vaccine. I do not blanket endorse any and all vaccines.

I understand your point, it is rare, but still exists. If all vaccines were stopped, it would take only one "typhoid Mary" to spread it to the general population.

I might add that in this day and age, it is very likely that such a Mary would indirectly spread it to 6 continents rather quickly.

Who knows. But I doubt these 5 sets of parents are saying "oops, my baby is dead, but at least we didn't give him the autism!"

One other think to keep in mind, is that a lot of these kids that are called autistic today, would have just been called mentally retarded 30 years ago. So have the rates really shot up that much, or do we have a better understanding of the "disease".