16 years ago today

I was glued to the TV. I think that was the same day as Game 7 of the Knicks-Rockets NBA Finals.

It was as surreal as surreal could get.

It was game 5.

The only reason I know this is I just watched ESPN's 30 for 30, one hour program last night. On June 7th, 1994, you had OJ, the Knicks v Rockets game 5 final, Arnold Palmer's last round at the US Open, and the NY Rangers Stanley Cup celebration.

Great news day for sports.

I remember walking into my classroom the day of the aquital and talking with my students about their reactions. The most outspoken black students pretty much universally were glad he was not convicted, and thought he was framed. The whites were, if not outraged, convinced of his guilt. There were some, both black and white, who did not want to speak about it, and it's tough for me to say what they thought.

It really did emphasize the racial divide in the U.S. What it showed to me was how--I think rightly though in this case it led to the wrong verdict--Black people in our society have a deep (and warranted) distrust of the police and the legal system.

I was glued to the TV. I think that was the same day as Game 7 of the Knicks-Rockets NBA Finals.

It was as surreal as surreal could get.

I was driving down the 99 from central California to LA. Wife and I listened to the radio...surreal is a good word.

OJ=worthless POS

I remember walking into my classroom the day of the aquital and talking with my students about their reactions. The most outspoken black students pretty much universally were glad he was not convicted, and thought he was framed. The whites were, if not outraged, convinced of his guilt. There were some, both black and white, who did not want to speak about it, and it's tough for me to say what they thought.

It really did emphasize the racial divide in the U.S. What it showed to me was how--I think rightly though in this case it led to the wrong verdict--Black people in our society have a deep (and warranted) distrust of the police and the legal system.

I think the reason OJ was aquitted was to appease the black community after the injustice of the Rodney King incident (among others). If OJ was convicted, there would have been rioting again in Los Angeles.

I was at the Soundgarden show in NYC at the Lexington Ave. armory - about 115 degrees in there that night with no AC and the accoustics were TERRIBLE (the NY Times review of the show was "Soundgarden Seen, But Not Heard at Armory").

At one point Chris Cornell came out and said that OJ was leading police on some sort of wild chase, but I didn't get to see anything until I got home after the show - it was weird.

The Murderous Ex-Player.

Watched the whole thing.

It is one of those things that is frozen in my mind: I was at law school and about to go out to dinner with a couple of friends of mine. We went to a pizza place, man I literally can still remember the pizza even though I can't remember what I had for lunch a week ago...then we came back to my place and watched everything unfold.

OJ's white Bronco chase. Did you watch it live?

A bad day for Bills fans

I was on terminal leave awaiting final out processing from the Air Force. He was a great player, but a crappy human being. But in the end, what goes around, comes around. He got his and I'm sure he doesn't worry too much about dropping the soap on the shower floor. :mellow: