Bills QB of future unlikely to come from next draft

As I was thinking about the prospects for Edwards, Fitzy, and Brohm it suddenly became clear to me that the chances are more likely that the Bills view one of the three current QBs standing up to assume the QB of the future role than us finding that QB in the next draft.

The simple likelihood is that even if we draft a stud QB in 2011 that the he and the team almost certainly will not make the playoffs his first year. Yes there is the single example of Ben RoboQB not only making the playoffs as a rookie QB but winning it all, However, a 2011 Bills team even with a stud rookie QB will be coming off of 11 straight playoff less years.

Bills fans pretty much grudgingly accept that 2010 will be a rebuilding year with no playoffs likely. However, if the Bills end up depending on the 2011 draft to give them their QB for the future there is a good likelihood that even if that QB is Peyton Manning quality like Manning his rookie year will be a learning experience.

Teams like the Jets with rookie Sanchez did go deep in the playoffs with their rookie QB, but the team did at least make the playoffs recently in their pre-Sanchez iteration. This will not be the case with the Bills. Its hard for me to believe that Nix in the crew are going to be wiling to wait until 2012 at the earliest to end the playoff drought.

I must admit to having little faith in in any of the three QBs currently on the roster proving to be our next savior at QB. Thus I think that the plan B when our current QB does not cut it is gonna be FA (or even a trade) instead of expecting the 2011 draft to be the key one for us.

As I was thinking about the prospects for Edwards, Fitzy, and Brohm it suddenly became clear to me that the chances are more likely that the Bills view one of the three current QBs standing up to assume the QB of the future role than us finding that QB in the next draft.

The simple likelihood is that even if we draft a stud QB in 2011 that the he and the team almost certainly will not make the playoffs his first year. Yes there is the single example of Ben RoboQB not only making the playoffs as a rookie QB but winning it all, However, a 2011 Bills team even with a stud rookie QB will be coming off of 11 straight playoff less years.

Bills fans pretty much grudgingly accept that 2010 will be a rebuilding year with no playoffs likely. However, if the Bills end up depending on the 2011 draft to give them their QB for the future there is a good likelihood that even if that QB is Peyton Manning quality like Manning his rookie year will be a learning experience.

Teams like the Jets with rookie Sanchez did go deep in the playoffs with their rookie QB, but the team did at least make the playoffs recently in their pre-Sanchez iteration. This will not be the case with the Bills. Its hard for me to believe that Nix in the crew are going to be wiling to wait until 2012 at the earliest to end the playoff drought.

I must admit to having little faith in in any of the three QBs currently on the roster proving to be our next savior at QB. Thus I think that the plan B when our current QB does not cut it is gonna be FA (or even a trade) instead of expecting the 2011 draft to be the key one for us.

Why don't we let Chan do this thing and play a few games before we go here.

Why can't the QB of the future be from next year, even if the Bills decide to stick with one of the current QBs for the next couple of years to avoid rebuilding? The worst possible situation, IMO, is to rush a QB into the starting role.

I think it real simple. If our QB's are a disaster and we win 0-4 games, we take a stud QB, with one of the top 3 picks in the draft. If we get into that gray area and win 6-8 games, and draft 9-12 that stud Qb is not going to be there anyway. Like most people the 10 year drought has really gotten to me. I really wanted Cowher or one of the other big 3 to come in and give us instant credibity, but the more I look and read about the the bills, the more I like the way chan and buddy are building this thing. I would love to see one of the current QB break out and become the next big thing, but i don't really believe that going to happen. I think you let Chan and Buddy play out this year to see what they have on the roster, and go from there. With the loss of the CBA and all the potential free agents, who became restricted, it made it almost impossible to improve the team this year. You would of had left tackles like Gaithers, Penn, McNeill, Brown as free agents with their team trying to resign them and balance the cap. This would of given us a greater chance as landing one of these guys as a free agent. If you think about it there were 200 potiential /5 year free agents that were taken off the market this year. Hopefully Chan can get a grasp on the roster, draft a QB, and with a new CBA, in addition to the 2011 free agents, all those guys who were restricted in 2010 will be unrestricted next year, and the team can rebulid quickly. I think it better to write off this season, I don't think winning 6-8 games really helps us in the long term. Unless your a fan of missing the playoff every year.

:devil:

It's June, why fret about worst case scenarios?

Sure, we've all watched through 10 years of waste, but let's give Nix, Gailey and co. a Training Camp at least - before we decide we're doomed for all time . . .

Even without the stud quarterback, you're better off being a Bills fan than a Lions fan.

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or a required FA QB acquisition. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

You want gloomy -- go watch the world cup -- that'll remind you how good it is to be a football fan in Buffalo rather than a futbol fan anywhere else in the world! That stuff makes your eyes, and now your ears, bleed!

:lol:

:lol:

Sure, we've all watched through 10 years of waste, but let's give Nix, Gailey and co. a Training Camp at least - before we decide we're doomed for all time . . .

Even without the stud quarterback, you're better off being a Bills fan than a Lions fan.

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or an required FA QB. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

You want gloomy -- go watch the world cup -- that'll remind you how good it is to be a football fan in Buffalo rather than a futbol fan anywhere else in the world! That stuff makes your eyes, and now your ears, bleed!

:beer:

once they read your post, and realize they arent appealing to your obviously sophisticated sports palate....im sure theyll cancel the next world cup :devil:

I have to totally disagree with your premise. The way the Bills have conducted their personnel decisions are quite clear that they are willing to wait until 2012 as long as they feel they've built the team to have multiple winning seasons starting 2-3 seasons from now. They didn't fill all the holes with a bunch of veterans who might get them 1 or 2 more wins in 2010 & they're willing to build a winner their way rather than hit the Donahoe mode & sign flashy names to satisfy the fan base. For the 1st time in years, the GM is looking long range & does not appear to want to jump the gun just to make the playoffs without any chance at going for a real championship.

These guys know they have garbage at QB, but also didn't like Clausen, McCoy or any other 1st, 2nd or 3rd round projected QB, so because they couldn't get McNabb, they're looking at the right way to build. We're fortunate that Nix & Gailey do not have this fan mentality, because if they do it right we'll have 12+ win seasons by 2012 or 2013 instead of treading water between 6 & 10 wins with no shot of ever going to the Super Bowl. Unless Trent Edwards picks up his play & proves to be durable, the chance of both happening being slim, there will definitely be a 1st round QB on the 2011 roster.

Why can't the QB of the future be from next year, even if the Bills decide to stick with one of the current QBs for the next couple of years to avoid rebuilding? The worst possible situation, IMO, is to rush a QB into the starting role.

The answer to your question is really one of how long is the Bills braintrust willing to wait to make the playoffs and what are they shooting for.

My GUESS is that one of the prime questions Mr. Ralph probably asked any candidates for the GM or HC job that given the team they were taking over how long did they think it would take to turn this team into a winner and to make the playoffs,

Given that it has been proven possible for a team to turn from a losing record to a winning record in one season, an answer that the new GM/HC expected to produce a winner in 2010 would in my mind not be impossible but such an answer would have been unrealistic enough given the shambles the new GM/HC would inherit that any answer that the new king was on an immediate turnaound expectation would be foolish.

My GUESS is that the answer a Nix (and a Gailey) would have given would be that they would in fact make a real run at an immediate winning record, but they are realistic that though they would always say and operate with the expectation of winning (in fact if this is not true one is guaranteed to lose) to be real amongst the true braintrust they are shooting for a playoff berth in the 2011 season, It will be tough to do this and the team may not make it, but I simply do not see Mr. Ralph hiring anyone who had a 3 year plan to rebuild this team with no realistic shot at even producing a winning season until 2012.

I say this because:

1, A decade of nonplayoff futility simply has to effect all parts of the business franchise and the game. From it simply be not as much fun to own a consistent loser to marginal business impacts that it is simply just tougher to roll the rock up the hill, this team has a crucial need to win and win now. Even if this is not likely at all, it would simply be crazed for the braintrust to invest in a multi-year strategy to rebuild and actually have a decided upon strategy of losing 12-14 games to get a shot at a top 3 pick in order to draft the new Jim Kelly. This strategy would be nuts.

2. Mr, Ralph may not even admit it to himself or ever give it a voice but he knows that he like us all is not going tol ive forever. I simply do not see Mr. Ralph going for any other plan than one which seeks to win in 2010 even if this is unlikely and seeks to make the playoffs in 2011.

I am sorry but a strategy which calls for drafting the QB of the future in 2011 and then almost certainly losing while he trains up as a rookie and maybe makes a run in 2012 just makes little sense.

My GUESS is that Gailey was attractive because he had a proven record of rehabbing horribly unproductive vet QBs and plan A is really to try to revive Edwards, OR squeeze more out of Fitzy, OR rehabilitate Brohm.

If this fails then my guess is that FA or dealing with a longshot like our late pick this year is the plan B and planning to draft and develop a savior next year is not even a thought.

:mellow:

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or a required FA QB acquisition. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

:huh:

Good post Bill, Lets wait and see. I was a doom and gloomer and now I am thinking more positive after reading so many positive posts here. I think the Bills can make it to the AFC championship game. I believe Coach Gailey has the smarts, schemes, and magic to get the most out of all his players. Once we win the opener and gain confidence and believe there will be no stopping us. We will get on a roll all the way to the playoffs.

Predictions:

Spiller roookie of the year.

Edwards pro bowl QB. Has QB rating of 125 or better. 8 games of 300+ passing yrds. Throws 25 td to 5 ints.

Evans 13 td receptios and a pro bowl

Jairus Byrd pro bowler with 10 ints

Gailey coach of the year.

Poz leds team in tackles pro bowl appearance.

Troup has monter year.

Maybin leads team with 12 sacks.

Nelson has monter year with 8 td catches.

Gotta believe....Go Bills!!!! Doom and gloomers don't rain on my parade. All positives may way!!!!

Maybe without Jauron ball, changing offensive schemes, and with an offensive line our qbs will develop into better players.

SO when did we get the offensive line? Or are we gonna add that for 2011, then play out 2012, draft a QB for 2013, then hopefully in his second season - 2014 - we make the playffs!!!!!

:mellow:

If that were that case - hoping to make the playoffs in year 5 with a second year QB - then I think Buddy Chan will be shown the door before we get to 5 years.

We had amazing opportunities this offseason to add a QB (McNabb/Tebow or Clausen rd 1/Clausen rd2 among others) and the Bills passed.

I have to assume that Buddy Chan is happy withthe current crop of QBs and willing to bet their careers on them.

Well thought-out post. Though I disagree.

For me, the question is whether there will be a good QB available when we draft next year.

Yeah, I think Gailey is genuinely giving the three on the roster from last year a real shot at the job, even to the point of not drafting Pike or Clausen to give these guys their chance. But if none of them step up, the best move would be to replace the guys who will never be good enough with a guy who might take a year or three to be good enough.

Yeah, I think Gailey is genuinely giving the three on the roster from last year a real shot at the job, even to the point of not drafting Pike or Clausen to give these guys their chance. But if none of them step up, the best move would be to replace the guys who will never be good enough with a guy who might take a year or three to be good enough.

Hopefully this is the case and one of the guys step up and prove to be a quality NFL starter. Gailey should be given time to attempt to develop these guys. Of course, the angry mob has probably already decided that they all suck and have no hope of ever becoming any kind of decent QB, even w/ better coaching.

Of course, the angry mob has probably already decided that they all suck and have no hope of ever becoming any kind of decent QB, even w/ better coaching.

I have a force assembled with pitchforks and torches. We are ready to storm the castle.

Who's with me?

Well thought-out post. Though I disagree.

For me, the question is whether there will be a good QB available when we draft next year.

I agree with the reasoning behind this post. I just wanted to point out the irony of stating we should replace our QBs with someone who make take 1-3 years to be good enough, given that all of our current QBs (save Fitz) essentially fall into this category. With a few exceptions, QB is a position that needs time to develop... and this development is contingent on having the coaching in place to facilitate it. For the first time in ? 5 years ? we might have the coaching in place to get the most out of our QBs, and now because of this 1-3 year clock, it's time to move on... and the cycle continues.

As far as this past draft, Bradford aside, I think the remaining QBs were as much of a gamble as what we have on the team already, therefore why waste the pick. If there was someone they thought had more potential than what we already have, they would have picked him.

I have a force assembled with pitchforks and torches. We are ready to storm the castle.

Who's with me?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Have fun storming the castle!

Do you think they have a chance?

It would take a miracle.

It is what Gailey and Nix have said it is. The offense was so badly conceived and coached that they have little idea if the players can actually get it done or not. I mean the moves they made last year alone on the offensive side of the ball were daffy and gelastic. Really, they cannot gut both a terrible and aged run defense and the offense as well, but at least with the offense most of these guys are young enough to be given a chance to demonstrate that they don't really, really suck.

I don't really follow your logic here at all. It simply does not follow that because it takes a new, rookie QB 2-3 years of seasoning before he hits his stride that the Bills won't draft a QB. How would that be any different from starting a guy who, despite being a veteran, can't get the job done? You can spend 2-3 years not making the playoffs but getting a QB ready who can eventually take you to the promised land, or you can spend it not making the playoffs and with no hope to end to the misery. If one of the guys we have plays well enough this year to be a starter, then they aren't going to take a QB. If none of them do, which is the most likley scenario, they will take a QB next year. If we don't have a decent QB on the roster right now, then we are going to spend the next 2-3 years in purgatory anyway.

I don't really follow your logic here at all. It simply does not follow that because it takes a new, rookie QB 2-3 years of seasoning before he hits his stride that the Bills won't draft a QB. How would that be any different from starting a guy who, despite being a veteran, can't get the job done? You can spend 2-3 years not making the playoffs but getting a QB ready who can eventually take you to the promised land, or you can spend it not making the playoffs and with no hope to end to the misery. If one of the guys we have plays well enough this year to be a starter, then they aren't going to take a QB. If none of them do, which is the most likley scenario, they will take a QB next year. If we don't have a decent QB on the roster right now, then we are going to spend the next 2-3 years in purgatory anyway.

You say "if none of them do, ... they will take a QB next year." I would just add "if a decent one is available when we draft, or if we can trade up for one." That is not a given.

The answer to your question is really one of how long is the Bills braintrust willing to wait to make the playoffs and what are they shooting for.

My GUESS is that one of the prime questions Mr. Ralph probably asked any candidates for the GM or HC job that given the team they were taking over how long did they think it would take to turn this team into a winner and to make the playoffs,

Given that it has been proven possible for a team to turn from a losing record to a winning record in one season, an answer that the new GM/HC expected to produce a winner in 2010 would in my mind not be impossible but such an answer would have been unrealistic enough given the shambles the new GM/HC would inherit that any answer that the new king was on an immediate turnaound expectation would be foolish.

My GUESS is that the answer a Nix (and a Gailey) would have given would be that they would in fact make a real run at an immediate winning record, but they are realistic that though they would always say and operate with the expectation of winning (in fact if this is not true one is guaranteed to lose) to be real amongst the true braintrust they are shooting for a playoff berth in the 2011 season, It will be tough to do this and the team may not make it, but I simply do not see Mr. Ralph hiring anyone who had a 3 year plan to rebuild this team with no realistic shot at even producing a winning season until 2012.

I say this because:

1, A decade of nonplayoff futility simply has to effect all parts of the business franchise and the game. From it simply be not as much fun to own a consistent loser to marginal business impacts that it is simply just tougher to roll the rock up the hill, this team has a crucial need to win and win now. Even if this is not likely at all, it would simply be crazed for the braintrust to invest in a multi-year strategy to rebuild and actually have a decided upon strategy of losing 12-14 games to get a shot at a top 3 pick in order to draft the new Jim Kelly. This strategy would be nuts.

2. Mr, Ralph may not even admit it to himself or ever give it a voice but he knows that he like us all is not going tol ive forever. I simply do not see Mr. Ralph going for any other plan than one which seeks to win in 2010 even if this is unlikely and seeks to make the playoffs in 2011.

I am sorry but a strategy which calls for drafting the QB of the future in 2011 and then almost certainly losing while he trains up as a rookie and maybe makes a run in 2012 just makes little sense.

My GUESS is that Gailey was attractive because he had a proven record of rehabbing horribly unproductive vet QBs and plan A is really to try to revive Edwards, OR squeeze more out of Fitzy, OR rehabilitate Brohm.

If this fails then my guess is that FA or dealing with a longshot like our late pick this year is the plan B and planning to draft and develop a savior next year is not even a thought.

Fake-Fat, welcome back. I dig the new handle.

I don't think you answered my question, or perhaps you didn't really understand it. Let's say all of your assumptions are correct. I agree Ralph will try to win in 2010 and 2011 and will not want to go into full-bore rebuilding (although what is going on now, is pretty close).

None of that precludes the Bills drafting a QB next year. It only precludes the Bills STARTING that QB next year, or maybe even the year after.

The Bills QB of the future is, and isn't, on the roster, depending on how you define "future". The Bills will draft another QB sometime in the future. I see nothing to suggest it WILL NOT be next year. Even if one of the current crop gives them a pretty good year, if a really good looking prospect is there next year, I see no reason they wouldn't consider picking him....you know, for the future.

It is what Gailey and Nix have said it is. The offense was so badly conceived and coached that they have little idea if the players can actually get it done or not. I mean the moves they made last year alone on the offensive side of the ball were daffy and gelastic. Really, they cannot gut both a terrible and aged run defense and the offense as well, but at least with the offense most of these guys are young enough to be given a chance to demonstrate that they don't really, really suck.

gelastic?

BTW, I hope you World Cup fans enjoy the show and that the US does well . . . I just won't be watching. Though, apparently, it makes me somewhat less sophisticated than the next hooligan. :mellow:

The Bills will draft another QB sometime in the future. I see nothing to suggest it WILL NOT be next year. Even if one of the current crop gives them a pretty good year, if a really good looking prospect is there next year, I see no reason they wouldn't consider picking him....you know, for the future.

Even if one of current crop does well enough that we have a better than expected record, next year's QB crop is VERY deep. We won't have to be drafting in the top 5 to get a stud. People will focus on Locker, Luck and Mallet, but there's also Ponder, Pryor, Stanzi and even others who people like: Devlin, Foles, Gabbert, Johnson, the guys from Houston and Wisconsin . . . There's a ton of them! The 2011 class will potentially be compared to '83 when all is said.

Even if one of current crop does well enough that we have a better than expected record, next year's QB crop is VERY deep. We won't have to be drafting in the top 5 to get a stud. People will focus on Locker, Luck and Mallet, but there's also Ponder, Pryor, Stanzi and even others who people like: Devlin, Foles, Gabbert, Johnson, the guys from Houston and Wisconsin . . . There's a ton of them! The 2011 class will potentially be compared to '83 when all is said.

Hell, you can draft the QB of the future in the 3rd or 4th round, if it's the right guy.

Can't keep waiting for next year. In a win now league composed of free agents next year never comes. They need to choose one QB hopefully Brohm and move on. We have no money and are always non competative in the FA market so that is out the window. Win now, the future is too far off.

Hell, you can draft the QB of the future in the 3rd or 4th round, if it's the right guy.

...and the right coaching staff, cuz you can also draft the next HOF QB first overall and destroy him by surrounding him with ineptitude and getting him killed. (Before we get out the torches, I'm in NO WAY suggesting anyone currently on the roster is headed to the HOF)

The logic is based not on whether the Bills will draft a QB (they sure will if they see one who they think is worth it). The logic is based on what constitutes being worth the cost for the Bills.

There were folks who strongly advocated that the Bills spend their #0 on one of the QBs virtually certain to be there such as Claussen or Tebow. There were even those who advocated we spend what ever was necessary to move up to get Bradford. What I argue and the Bills pretty clearly seem to have made the same judgment last year and I argue will make the same judgment in the next draft is that the opportunity cost of drafting a stud QB is simply too high to make this a viable strategy for a team that for a range of reasons must win NOW (or come as close as they can at least).

The Bills were confronted last draft with putting all their eggs in the basket of a young QB who might after a couple of years of watching and even at better might after a couple of years of losing but learning turn out to be the answer we need. Alternatively, we instead went for a player who has more immediate upside for being a difference maker (arguably bizarre strategy as we already have 2 starter quality RBs under contract but even as bizarre as this is I think it is actually lower risk than if we had gone a draft a QB route).

We handled the QB situation the right way by taking a rediculous longshot at Levi Brown for the minuscule cost of a 7th. Brown will likely not work but it only cost us a 7th. This compares to taking Clausen or Tebow who also almost certainly would not work but they would have cost us a 1st to find out.

This is pretty simple as I see it...if one of our guys steps up this year, then it will be that guys job again next year. If none of our guys right this offensively challenged ship, then we will draft a QB high next year or acquire one via trade or FA if there is one they like available. Its not that complicated really...What I can assure you is that if all 3 guys falter there will be a QB leading this team the following year not currently on this roster.

The logic is based not on whether the Bills will draft a QB (they sure will if they see one who they think is worth it). The logic is based on what constitutes being worth the cost for the Bills.

There were folks who strongly advocated that the Bills spend their #0 on one of the QBs

I assume #0 is some sort of mistake, or code I don't understand.

But moving on, I think the Bills simply weren't enamored with the available QBs in this years' draft. Quite frankly, neither was I. I was surprised they didn't take Clausen when he became available in the 2nd. But I think the fact they passed makes it clear they simply didn't like Clausen as a QB.

I also assume if there is a QB they like, at a draft position they think he is right for, they will pick a QB. As 2010 looks to be FAR deeper in decent QB prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if they take on next year.