The New York Jets

From time to time here we've discussed the Jests and have commented with grudging admiration on the aggressiveness with which they've pursued free agents and trades for big-name players.

We've also complimented them on the the way they've built a strong offensive line and defense as a means to becoming competitive.

However, things are not going as well as the Jests would like. Cracks are appearing in their foundation and the window is closing quickly on their championship aspirations.

The Jests are facing numerous problems. Most people here already know that they have core players looking to renegotiate their contracts in Darelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and David Harris.

That's one shutdown corner (one of the two best in the NFL, Asomugha), a Pro Bowl center, a franchise left tackle, and an outstanding linebacker. That's a lot of money.

It's likely that none of these players will get what they want this year (CBA concerns, years left on their contracts) and there are indications that all four are prepared to withhold their services, to holdout.

To make matters worse, the team has a recent history of messy player negotiations with former Pro Bowl guard Pete Kendall and guard Brandon Moore accusing the team of breaking promises to extend their contracts. Former players Leon Washington, Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles have made the same accusations.

They've also recently jettisoned big-time contributors to their recent success in Alan Faneca, Leon Washington, and Thomas Jones.

Even further muddying the situation is that the team has brought in lots of big-name players via trades and free agency: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, LaDanian Tomlinson, Brodney Pool, and Nick Folk.

This has led to accusations within the team that the Jets are spending money on outsiders, but not the guys they've drafted and developed (Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris).

The final problem is that several of the Jests recent acquisitions are playing on expiring contracts: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie are all set to become free agents after this year.

Some in the New York media have accused the Jets of trying to build a fantasy football roster. The Jests seem to be using the Washington Redskins model to some degree, albeit with a bit more success.

In some regards, the Jests franchise looks like a house of cards and it could come crashing down quickly. There simply isn't enough money to keep all their players happy. A storm is brewing.

Let's hope the Bills are doing their rebuild with brick and mortar, and in a sustainable way more along the lines of the Pittsburgh Steelers or Baltimore Ravens.

Guest dog14787
From time to time here we've discussed the Jests and have commented with grudging admiration on the aggressiveness with which they've pursued free agents and trades for big-name players.

We've also complimented them on the the way they've built a strong offensive line and defense as a means to becoming competitive.

However, things are not going as well as the Jests would like. Cracks are appearing in their foundation and the window is closing quickly on their championship aspirations.

The Jests are facing numerous problems. Most people here already know that they have core players looking to renegotiate their contracts in Darelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and David Harris.

That's one shutdown corner (one of the two best in the NFL, Asomugha), a Pro Bowl center, a franchise left tackle, and an outstanding linebacker. That's a lot of money.

It's likely that none of these players will get what they want this year (CBA concerns, years left on their contracts) and there are indications that all four are prepared to withhold their services, to holdout.

To make matters worse, the team has a recent history of messy player negotiations with former Pro Bowl guard Pete Kendall and guard Brandon Moore accusing the team of breaking promises to extend their contracts. Former players Leon Washington, Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles have made the same accusations.

They've also recently jettisoned big-time contributors to their recent success in Alan Faneca, Leon Washington, and Thomas Jones.

Even further muddying the situation is that the team has brought in lots of big-name players via trades and free agency: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, LaDanian Tomlinson, Brodney Pool, and Nick Folk.

This has led to accusations within the team that the Jets are spending money on outsiders, but not the guys they've drafted and developed (Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris).

The final problem is that several of the Jests recent acquisitions are playing on expiring contracts: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie are all set to become free agents after this year.

Some in the New York media have accused the Jets of trying to build a fantasy football roster. The Jests seem to be using the Washington Redskins model to some degree, albeit with a bit more success.

In some regards, the Jests franchise looks like a house of cards and it could come crashing down quickly.

Let's hope the Bills are doing their rebuild with brick and mortar, and in a sustainable way more along the lines of the Pittsburgh Steelers or Baltimore Ravens.

I know one thing, the AFC East will be a brutal division to play in this coming up season and whoever comes out on top is in all probability going to be a Championship caliber football team.

I know one thing, the AFC East will be a brutal division to play in this coming up season and whoever comes out on top is in all probability going to be a Championship caliber football team.

As I've stated, the Jests can definitely be viewed as a high-priced, and very flammable, house of cards.

The Patsies? In spite of maneuvering very nicely to pick up all those draft picks, they simply have not drafted well. On top of that, Brady, Moss, and Welker are not players who can easily be replaced and Belichick (and I believe he's a great coach) simply did not have much success until Brady stepped in for Bledsoe.

Both the Patsies and Jests are high payroll teams with lots of older veteran players.

If you look at which teams might be trending up and which teams might be trending down, you could build a reasonable argument that it will be the Dolphins and Bills leading the division 2-3 years from now.

In some regards, the Jests franchise looks like a house of cards and it could come crashing down quickly. There simply isn't enough money to keep all their players happy. A storm is brewing.

The impending crisis, as you suggest, is a product of their good drafting. There is no way around your quality players getting restless over their contract situations. When a premier player for another team establishes a new high contract benchmark it is understandable that a player of equal or superior ability will desire a similar or better contract. That is a product of the NFL cap system. It can't be avoided.

In today's NFL you can't keep all your good players together for an extended period of time because the accumulated contract numbers will be greater than your cap limit. Smart organizations run by good GMs such as Polian, Ozzie Newsome, Pioli when with the Pats and others draft well and have a steady supply of cheaper young players who will replace some of the higher priced veterans.

If you noticed the Jets have brought in a number of veterans with short term contracts which will give them greater cap maneuverability. A good organization is able to manage the cap, give smart talent/value contracts (compare the bloated contracts given to Dockery and Walker under Levy) and drafts well so it is in position to replace those players it is not able to keep. Player movement is part of today's NFL landscape. Certain teams consistently win for the primary reason that have good organizational strength.

The Bills have consistently lost because their ownership and organization are very hollow. I'm hoping that will change for the better under Nix who has an understanding how to run a football operation in a very complex pro environment.

Some organizations exude stability and sustainability.

Others don't.

I think the Jests are a prime candidate to flame out. For one thing, they don't have the track record.

There were the tampering charges regarding the Michael Crabtree situation.

The fact that Woody Johnson went from being Mara-like to being the second coming of Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder.

The acrimony caused by many former Jests players regarding promises broken by the organization.

The shuffling of the deck approach with jettisoning big name players and bringing in other big name players (LT for Thomas Jones being the prime example).

The fact that Ryan can't keep his mouth shut.

Add the number of players unhappy with their contracts + those whose contracts are set to expire.

The math on all these players and contracts doesn't add up to a happy ending.

These are all factors which makes me view the Jests as being an organization that is flying by the seat of their pants.

When you factor in the further destabilizing effects of the NY media, I could see this unravelling very quickly.

You do realize, of course, that the Jets will continue to draft players in the upcoming years, right? I mean, some of those vets that we're added through FA are not going to be with this team after this year. We already know that.

BTW, who are these vets that came in with their huge contracts? Cromartie? Nope. last year of his rookie deal. Tomlinson? Nope, less than what Thomas Jones cost. Taylor (who just pisses me off)? Nope. Signed for kicker money. The last two big free agent pickups that got HUGE contracts we're Faneca and Bart Scott. Faneca steadied two growing youngsters and became a quick captain. Doesn't seem like money poorly psent to me. How about Bart? Gee, guy comes in explicitly to lead the defense in the Rex Ryan way, and we end up #1 defense overall. Again, money well spent.

Revis and Mangold are also the only two of the four the OP mentioned as "possible holdouts" (lol) that have even mentioned new contracts. Both Brick and Harris have stated that they have no problem being patient. Will we be able to keep all four? Probably not. But three out of four ain't so bad... (according to Meatloaf) We also get to pick between Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes after this year, to see who stays with the Jets. Not too bad of a group to have for a 1-year tryout, I think.

Good luck and all that, but the Jets are going to be fighting for the top of this division for a long, long while. <_<

The fact that Ryan can't keep his mouth shut.

I have a hunch Ryan will eventually be the downfall of the Jests. His bravado make work short-term, but it's becoming clear he has the mookish tendencies of his father and brother. I think he will do and/or say something that pisses off players/fans/etc. And if things start to go bad, I think he will contribute to the meltdown.

Just a hunch, of course.

You do realize, of course, that the Jets will continue to draft players in the upcoming years, right? I mean, some of those vets that we're added through FA are not going to be with this team after this year. We already know that.

The most encouraging thing about the Jests organization from the Jests viewpoint is that they seem to have a GM in Mike Tannenbaum (and his staff) that are pretty good at identifying talent…Vernon Gholston being a notable exception.

BTW, who are these vets that came in with their huge contracts? Cromartie? Nope. last year of his rookie deal. Tomlinson? Nope, less than what Thomas Jones cost. Taylor (who just pisses me off)? Nope. Signed for kicker money. The last two big free agent pickups that got HUGE contracts we're Faneca and Bart Scott. Faneca steadied two growing youngsters and became a quick captain. Doesn't seem like money poorly psent to me. How about Bart? Gee, guy comes in explicitly to lead the defense in the Rex Ryan way, and we end up #1 defense overall. Again, money well spent.

I never said huge contracted vets who came in. I said "big-name vets." I feel with the poor treatment of departed players and also the younger drafted players that there is a good possibility of the Jests having chemistry problems and acrimony, further stirred up by the NY media.

Revis and Mangold are also the only two of the four the OP mentioned as "possible holdouts" (lol) that have even mentioned new contracts. Both Brick and Harris have stated that they have no problem being patient. Will we be able to keep all four? Probably not. But three out of four ain't so bad... (according to Meatloaf) We also get to pick between Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes after this year, to see who stays with the Jets. Not too bad of a group to have for a 1-year tryout, I think.

I hadn't read that about Ferguson and Harris. I'm happy for you. As for the one-year tryout thing, that's great. I didn't say the Jests were gonna suck this year. I clearly stated that the window is closing, IMO.

Good luck and all that, but the Jets are going to be fighting for the top of this division for a long, long while. <_<

I don't think the Jets are gonna be on top of the division for a long time. The Jests had one good moment in their history. They won the Super Bowl against the Colts. Other than that, the Jests have, quite frankly, sucked.

The Bills have a higher all-time winning percentage than the Jests, .473 to .455.

The Bills lead the all-time series against the Jests, 53-43.

There is no evidence that the Jests are going to enjoy long term success. We'll see.

Went to the sports book yesterday. They have the Jets to win the AFC Conference 9/2 odds. So Jets and Colts are the top two outta the AFC. Probably because they went to the AFCC game last year.

Again, the Jests will be good this year. They'll go as far as Sanchez can take them. He was their most limiting factor last year. After this year, all bets are off.

I don't get the feeling that I'm seeing a dynasty being built here.

More like a desperate stab at a championship while the window is still open.

Being a Jets fan and coming onto this board must be entertaining for you, huh? Any football fan with half a brain cell would like having the problems NYJ supposedly is having with Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, et al. Then again, they've actually drafted impact players the past few years, and now those guys' contracts are coming due. It happens.

In three drafts, NYJ took LOT Ferguson, C Mangold, CB Revis, ILB David Harris and TE Dustin Keller. And while they busted on Vernon Gholston, they traded for Kris Jenkins, found their man at QB, and took Shonn Greene during the 2009 offseason.

The Jets will have issues signing everyone, but their recent history on draft day shows they know what they're doing and can replace players.

This was an excellent post. I found this easier to read, and made more sense than a lot of the opinionated articles on major sports site blogs.

For all the Bills' woes, at least we don't have the issue of having future holes opening up. Eveyone that should be is locked up.

I have a hunch Ryan will eventually be the downfall of the Jests. His bravado make work short-term, but it's becoming clear he has the mookish tendencies of his father and brother. I think he will do and/or say something that pisses off players/fans/etc. And if things start to go bad, I think he will contribute to the meltdown.

Just a hunch, of course.

Well said Dean. If they don't win early, that team could ignite and Ryan has shone to be a flame thrower and not a fireman.

Hard to believe the JESTS will get more run production out of a broken-toe LT and they would have from Thomas.

I look for their running game to stall and stall often.

Blustery Rex Ryan won't protect Dirty Sanchez as much in his 2nd season and if the INTs start coming like TO's popcorn, that could be - as The Dean suggested - the fuse that lights the meltdown. Come on Sophomore Slump.

If there is a Gosh in Heaven, that franchise will have 3 or 4 blackouts in 2010. I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth now! <_<

I disagree. I see just 1 team making the playoffs, and making an exit in the 1st or 2nd round. The Jets went further than they had a right to go last year, and as mentioned, made some changes to key personnel, while they have other players who are disgruntled.

The impending crisis, as you suggest, is a product of their good drafting. There is no way around your quality players getting restless over their contract situations. When a premier player for another team establishes a new high contract benchmark it is understandable that a player of equal or superior ability will desire a similar or better contract. That is a product of the NFL cap system. It can't be avoided.

In today's NFL you can't keep all your good players together for an extended period of time because the accumulated contract numbers will be greater than your cap limit. Smart organizations run by good GMs such as Polian, Ozzie Newsome, Pioli when with the Pats and others draft well and have a steady supply of cheaper young players who will replace some of the higher priced veterans.

If you noticed the Jets have brought in a number of veterans with short term contracts which will give them greater cap maneuverability. A good organization is able to manage the cap, give smart talent/value contracts (compare the bloated contracts given to Dockery and Walker under Levy) and drafts well so it is in position to replace those players it is not able to keep. Player movement is part of today's NFL landscape. Certain teams consistently win for the primary reason that have good organizational strength.

The Bills have consistently lost because their ownership and organization are very hollow. I'm hoping that will change for the better under Nix who has an understanding how to run a football operation in a very complex pro environment.

Why should Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, and Harris ask for more money? The Jets didn't add any high-priced, under-performing players at their respective positions.

Why should Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, and Harris ask for more money? The Jets didn't add any high-priced, under-performing players at their respective positions.

Is that the only reason for players asking for more money?

For all the spending/acquisitions the Jets have made, their season still rests in Dirty Sanchez. He showed very little in his rookie year (albeit, he wasn't asked to do much). His play needs to improve as expectations do. If he has the same type of season in year 2 that Flacco did, the Jets are in for an early exit in the playoffs.

And as San Jose said, the Jets are fine for this season, but in the coming year or 2, they have lots of players with expiring contracts. There's no way they can keep them all.

For all the spending/acquisitions the Jets have made, their season still rests in Dirty Sanchez. He showed very little in his rookie year (albeit, he wasn't asked to do much). His play needs to improve as expectations do. If he has the same type of season in year 2 that Flacco did, the Jets are in for an early exit in the playoffs.

And as San Jose said, the Jets are fine for this season, but in the coming year or 2, they have lots of players with expiring contracts. There's no way they can keep them all.

Agreed. He is also coming off a knee injury as well. Few QBs have been in a better situation to succeed and if the Colts & Bengals didn't lay down, they were a .500 team at best. I hope hey get away from what makes them successful & tries to throw the ball more. Thomas Jones and Faneca are going to be bigger losses than they imagined.

Is that the only reason for players asking for more money?

Seems like it. Some are saying that the Bills signing Dockery and Walker was the reason Peters asked to be one of the top LT's in the game.

Being a Jets fan and coming onto this board must be entertaining for you, huh? Any football fan with half a brain cell would like having the problems NYJ supposedly is having with Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, et al. Then again, they've actually drafted impact players the past few years, and now those guys' contracts are coming due. It happens.

In three drafts, NYJ took LOT Ferguson, C Mangold, CB Revis, ILB David Harris and TE Dustin Keller. And while they busted on Vernon Gholston, they traded for Kris Jenkins, found their man at QB, and took Shonn Greene during the 2009 offseason.

The Jets will have issues signing everyone, but their recent history on draft day shows they know what they're doing and can replace players.

Dammit BillsVet. You know I love you and all. But I need more than what you gave our visitor. Every once in awhile things happen that are litmus tests. If a Jests fan comes around, you gotta give 'em a rough ride:

I don't think the Jets are gonna be on top of the division for a long time. The Jests had one good moment in their history. They won the Super Bowl against the Colts. Other than that, the Jests have, quite frankly, sucked.

The Bills have a higher all-time winning percentage than the Jests, .473 to .455.

The Bills lead the all-time series against the Jests, 53-43.

There is no evidence that the Jests are going to enjoy long term success. We'll see.

I don't get the feeling that I'm seeing a dynasty being built here.

More like a desperate stab at a championship while the window is still open.

Next time IceColdBruschi comes around here, I want you to give it to him hard!

WE'RE BILLS FANS!!!

Dammit BillsVet. You know I love you and all. But I need more than what you gave our visitor. Every once in awhile things happen that are litmus tests. If a Jests fan comes around, you gotta give 'em a rough ride:

Next time IceColdBruschi comes around here, I want you to give it to him hard!

WE'RE BILLS FANS!!!

:huh:

lol. I understand. I'm the same way with fish fans. as much as the Jets have other rivalries, the blowholes will always be my "most hated".

...and I can't let your list of past accomplishments bother me either... I just think of one stat: 1 for 1, and 0 for 4. ;)

Your mother turns tricks at the truck stop to feed her semen addiction, Rex. Look, ts not personal, but since youre a classless Jets fan, I know it is true.

I wonder why they parted with washington. I am not exactly shaking in my boots about the prospect of playing against ladainian tomlinson or jayson taylor, either.