DiCesare column: Schobel wanted his schedule

Buffalo News

Kind of a throwaway but DiCesare says Schobel wanted to work on his own schedule and apparently the Bills said no.

PTR

A Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith....ok. Schobel? Nice player but not one to set apart from what everybody else is expected to do. It's a shame, he would have made us better this year. Clearly it's time for the kids to step in and step up.

I am predicting Schobel will have a change of heart either just before or during training camp....no way he walks away from another 6 mil

if he was set on retiring he would just do it but since he hasnt that says all you need to know

He wanted to fly in and play, then fly out again. I dont think he expected his terms to be taken seriously. I think he wanted to be traded. I heard from a reliable source he wanted the Bills to fly him in for practices and games, obviously not going to happen.

The fact that Schobel said that "it's in the Bills' hands" is quite telling.

It is? :) Then please clue me in on what exactly it tells? It tells me the guy wants the Bills to give in to his terms and we said "no".

PTR

He wanted to fly in and play, then fly out again. I dont think he expected his terms to be taken seriously. I think he wanted to be traded. I heard from a reliable source he wanted the Bills to fly him in for practices and games, obviously not going to happen.

More likely he wanted an extra day off during the week, to spend in Houston.

This probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if Chan wasn't in his first year, trying to establish himself and a new defense. In other words, had Chan been here for a couple of years, this might not even come to light, as they would likely accommodate Schobel. (I am speculating, of course.)

I can understand Schobel's position, as well as the Bills'. It just may be the right time for him to retire. If it takes him another few weeks to decide, I'm OK with that, too.

Will the Texans give up a 4th rounder?

They kind of have us over a barrel in negotiations.

Who says they are interested at all? Even Schobel downplayed it. He may not want to play there, when push comes to shove.

if that is the case trade him to the texans and get a pick for him . a 4th is better then nothing

Will the Texans give up a 4th rounder?

They kind of have us over a barrel in negotiations.

If you don't mind him retiring, then it doesn't matter. But let yet another well paid, under contract player dictate terms of his employment to the team? Nope. Moulds, McGahee,Spikes, Clements, Peters, Lynch.....yeah, enough is enough.

Buffalo News

Kind of a throwaway but DiCesare says Schobel wanted to work on his own schedule and apparently the Bills said no.

PTR

Bottom line is this is a Team sport. For a Team to be effective, everyone must be in sync and understand their role as it pertains to the entire unit's objective. You just can't do that working out on your own schedule. Everyone needs to be on hand.

Bottom line is this is a Team sport. For a Team to be effective, everyone must be in sync and understand their role as it pertains to the entire unit's objective. You just can't do that working out on your own schedule. Everyone needs to be on hand.

Except the games are played on Sunday. Who the hell cares where he wants to be on Monday and Tuesday after games. I wouldn't want to be in Buffalo on a Monday after another Bills loss either...

I completely agree with the F.O. on this one. If h'es going to be part of this team, than it's time he acted like one of the guys. He's not and never has been Bruce where he could show up late to OTAs/ Training camp because he's Bruce. Aaron Schobel is not Bruce, not even close.

schobel deserves to play with a contender. he wants to be traded to a contender but doesn't want to say the Buffalo won't contend.

Why does he deserve to play for a contender? He should not have signed that huge extension before the 2007 season if he wanted to play for a contender so badly. Why are so many of you so sympathetic to Schobel? Sure he was a good player..But absolutely NEVER a leader on the team. And he certainly did not make everyone around him better. We have won absolutely nothing with him on our team. Maybe if he was more of a leader, this team would have been in much better shape. I think what most of you do not realize is that a team needs its best players to be vocal leaders. He has never been that. He does his job, but never took it upon himself to be even the slightest spokesperson for the team. He played in a vacuum like most of the guys on this team have done. Not the kind of guy who inspires those around him to play better.