Best Bills Arm of All Time

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not asking who the greatest quarterback was......not the greatest reader of defenses......im just talkin BEST ARM.

Who had the prettiest deep ball, fluidity of motion, zip on the ball.......say he had perfect protection.

Who had the most talent in purely delivering the ball downfield?

I remember Harris as having the strongest arm... but I never thought he had a 'pretty deep ball' or was very much impressed with his 'fluidity of motion'... he was just strong, that's all.

So if Lamonica as a Raider doesn't count, I would have to say Kelly before he got all beat up.

You've obviously have not seen James Harris throw the ball

I went to a game when harris was on the team. Warming up he was standing on the 25 or so and tossing through the goalposts at the far end. The impressive thing was they never got higher than maybe 10 feet above the cross bar. They were roped down the field.

I am really surprised nobody has mentioned Gail Gilbert. He easily had a stronger arm than Kelly. While I can't comment much about lamonica, Harris, or Fergy. I would have to say Gilbert, Bledsoe, and Losman are the 3 strongest arms the Bills have had in the past 20 years.

Not sure if he had the "best" arm -- but couldn't Gale Gilbert throw the ball something like 90 yards in the air?

Can't win the big one

I had been reading all these posts and the bvious names popped up and for some reason i remember Gilbert the little of him seen (2-3 years in preseason) having a very strong arm wasn't going to post theh bingo read yours!

The guy with "the best arm" ever on the Bills was probably James Harris, who played with OJ, and was the first black QB to start the season as a #1 QB. He didn't harness it with enough consistency, however, although he had a decent career with the Rams, and still holds an executive position with the Lions.

Jim Harris by far. Trouble was, he only threw with one speed and one trajectory.

For some reason I can't remember seeing Gale Gilbert throw much. I remember he was reputed to have a howitzer, but can't recall it.

Fergy (especially considering his stature) had a great arm. Howitzer. Frozen ropes. Dude was 6'1 and 195 tops. His arm was 6'5 and 230 though.

I started following the Bills during Kemp's last season in football. Don't really remember his arm.

I remember Daryle Lamonica. Seems like he also threw a great deep ball but I don't recall him having cannon-like velocity, like James Harris or Fergy.

Kelly was a complete QB, but his arm strength was very average

This is not a popular opinion. And I don't completely agree. Kelly had a strong arm, above average I would say. IMO, the things that made Kelly such a great passer were his great touch and accuracy.

Also, Jim Kelly threw perhaps the best, most accurate deep balls ever. Like rainbows into pots of gold. Beautiful arc, great accuracy.

Im not asking who the greatest quarterback was......not the greatest reader of defenses......im just talkin BEST ARM.

Who had the prettiest deep ball, fluidity of motion, zip on the ball.......say he had perfect protection.

James Harris

C. Bennet.

This is not a popular opinion. And I don't completely agree. Kelly had a strong arm, above average I would say. IMO, the things that made Kelly such a great passer were his great touch and accuracy.

Also, Jim Kelly threw perhaps the best, most accurate deep balls ever. Like rainbows into pots of gold. Beautiful arc, great accuracy.

Ok maybe very average was a bit over the top, but kelly did not have a rocket. Accuracy, that is where he completely blows away the field.