Best Bills Arm of All Time

Jack Kemp (1962-1969)

Picked up off waivers from San Diego in 1962, Kemp is most remembered for leading the Bills to three AFL Championship games, winning two in 1964 and 1965.

A former AFL MVP (’65) and six-time All-AFL player, Kemp is the AFL’s all-time leader in pass attempts, completions and passing yards. He’s also just one of 20 players to play in the American Football League for its entire existence.

Kemp is in the AFL Hall of Fame and the Bills Wall of Fame and was a member of the Bills 25th Anniversary Team.

“Jack could throw sidearm as hard as he could over the top, he could zoom that ball in their real hard,” said former Bills receiver Elbert Dubenion. “He probably had the strongest arm of anyone I had ever played with.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...a0-4282eb80270e

Kemp was a very very strong armed qb. And he won the AFL championship. I gotta go with him, although I think Kelly was the best overall qb.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy with "the best arm" ever on the Bills was probably James Harris, who played with OJ, and was the first black QB to start the season as a #1 QB. He didn't harness it with enough consistency, however, although he had a decent career with the Rams, and still holds an executive position with the Lions.

True, but I would place Bledsoe a very close second. He made some freak throws too.

Exactly. kelly could hit the deep ball with amazing accuracy. The guy could 'flip' the ball over 50 yards it seemed.

Some fans really need to go back and watch 90's tapes of this guy throw.

Bledsoe had so much more arm strength than Kelly that there is really little room for comparison.

Bledsoe had so much more arm strength than Kelly that there is really little room for comparison.

Do you remember the blizzard game against the (then) Phoenix Cardinals in (I think) 90' ?

I you watched that game (I was in the stands covered with blankets getting pelted with 40mph sideways snow chunks) there's no way you'd be saying this. Bledsoe may have had a stronger arm literally speaking, but to say no comparison is a stretch. Part of it is technique. Nobody in the league other than Elway could have thrown like Jim did in that game. I think it was 3 TD strikes in that blizzard.

Do you remember the blizzard game against the (then) Phoenix Cardinals in (I think) 90' ?

I you watched that game (I was in the stands covered with blankets getting pelted with 40mph sideways snow chunks) there's no way you'd be saying this. Bledsoe may have had a stronger arm literally speaking, but to say no comparison is a stretch. Part of it is technique. Nobody in the league other than Elway could have thrown like Jim did in that game. I think it was 3 TD strikes in that blizzard.

OK...did you see the pass (20 or so yards) that Bledsoe (on NE) threw against the Steelers in the 4th quarter to put the pats in the SB? He was subbing for Brady. It was sidearm and off balance. He floated it over the head of a db and into the receivers hands to ice the game. It was sick.

This is to say nothing of his 50 yard passes that were a mile high and dropped straight down like arrows into the hands of receivers. If Kelly never had shoulder problems it would have been close imo.

My Bills knowledge dates to the very end of the Ferguson era and I would be inclined to say that in terms of sheer arm strength, Losman may very well be no. 1.

edit: not knowledge, but that's how far back I've actually watched the Bills. I know full well who Jack Kemp is, but I can't intelligently discuss his arm strength.

OK...did you see the pass (20 or so yards) that Bledsoe (on NE) threw against the Steelers in the 4th quarter to put the pats in the SB? He was subbing for Brady. It was sidearm and off balance. He floated it over the head of a db and into the receivers hands to ice the game. It was sick.

This is to say nothing of his 50 yard passes that were a mile high and dropped straight down like arrows into the hands of receivers. If Kelly never had shoulder problems it would have been close imo.

That was quite a pass indeed. Just trying to keep things in perspective. Bledsoe was a tank for sure...

You guys are funny. it isn't even close. James Harris easily had the strongest arm.

edit: kelly, I guess we were posting at the same time. but looks like we agree,

I agree with you and the others who say James Harris. When he was drafted by the Bills Howard Cosell called Ralph Wilson and congratulated him on the selection.

A year or two later the Bills drafted Dennis Shaw from San Diego State to replace Harris. Shaw's career with the Bills didn't last too long.

The Bills have been in existence for half a century. Looking back I can only think of Jack Kemp and Jim Kelly having sustained successes as a franchise qb. That is a sad commentary on the franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_(quarterback)