Does the Wang injury force a move?

If Wangs injury is serious is there any chance that it forces the Bills hand and they go ahead and meet Baltimores demands for Gaither or will they sign some new scrub to add to our LT depth?

As you said, depends how serious. If he is ready by camp then no.

Wang wasn't figuring into a starters position anyway...yet...so he'll miss a bit of the "learning curve" however long he will be out. Hopefully he's ready by camp to get some game reps. I was hoping Wang would also get some reps at RT since that's where he first started in college.

There doesn't seem to be any depth at RT either. I haven't heard thing-one about the RT the Bills picked in the 7th (Kyle Calloway). That's either a good thing or very bad.

Wang wasn't figuring into a starters position anyway...yet...so he'll miss a bit of the "learning curve" however long he will be out. Hopefully he's ready by camp to get some game reps. I was hoping Wang would also get some reps at RT since that's where he first started in college.

There doesn't seem to be any depth at RT either. I haven't heard thing-one about the RT the Bills picked in the 7th (Kyle Calloway). That's either a good thing or very bad.

He's playing guard.

Force is too strong a word. I don't think anyone seriously had Wang pegged as anything more than providing back-up depth on this OL as a fifth round choice. Before the Wang injury the Bills had something between serious question marks to glaring holes at LT and RT with Green and Bell. Today with injury to Wang the Bills have the same issue and holes at the T positions.

Few (if no one seriously) saw Wang as the likely answer here. The Bills had big time pressure yesterday and it has only increased marginally today.

Nix is big on keeping draft picks, but he has to finally say 'hey will a 2nd rounder next year do more for this team than X player we can trade for'?

I don't see any LT's out there that can do better coming out in the 2nd round than Gaither can do for us now. It makes sense to pull the trigger for someone.

Hell we might go out and get fat boy that is still on the street. That would at least be a 1-2 year stopgap while we got one of our other guys ready.

Im just at a loss as to how the Bills front office and coaching staff can take a look at our tackles, both starters and depth, and not shudder. Last year we went in with major questions on the line and the staff said we will be fine and we were not. By the looks of things this line may actually be worse than it was last year. Bell and Wood comming off injury. Cornell Green..... really? I think Hangarder is a solid depth guy but not a top notch starter. LeVitre is the only guy I have confidence in this year. Yes I do think that LeVitre and Wood are our guards for years to come and I love those picks but..... what is more important in todays NFL tackles or guards? DO YOU KNOW HOW EMBARASSING GAMES AGAINST THE JETS BLITZ ARE GOING TO BE!!???!!!

If there plan is to let young guys get experience and lose a lot so we can draft our QB of the future next year with a top 3 pick than fine. But how does that solve the protection issue. You failed to address it in the draft again and now with a possible chance to get a very solid if not very good LT from Baltimore for a 2nd you decide against it? Is it because we know for sure that pick will be a top 3 in round 2? Why not move Lynch for a third and see if they will take two thirds for Gaithier instead? I know its not as simple as im making it sound but when I read articles saying that the Bills line this year may be one of the worst in history it is freaking depressing.

Through all that though I will still say.......GO BILLS!!

Im just at a loss as to how the Bills front office and coaching staff can take a look at our tackles, both starters and depth, and not shudder. Last year we went in with major questions on the line and the staff said we will be fine and we were not. By the looks of things this line may actually be worse than it was last year. Bell and Wood comming off injury. Cornell Green..... really? I think Hangarder is a solid depth guy but not a top notch starter. LeVitre is the only guy I have confidence in this year. Yes I do think that LeVitre and Wood are our guards for years to come and I love those picks but..... what is more important in todays NFL tackles or guards? DO YOU KNOW HOW EMBARASSING GAMES AGAINST THE JETS BLITZ ARE GOING TO BE!!???!!!

If there plan is to let young guys get experience and lose a lot so we can draft our QB of the future next year with a top 3 pick than fine. But how does that solve the protection issue. You failed to address it in the draft again and now with a possible chance to get a very solid if not very good LT from Baltimore for a 2nd you decide against it? Is it because we know for sure that pick will be a top 3 in round 2? Why not move Lynch for a third and see if they will take two thirds for Gaithier instead? I know its not as simple as im making it sound but when I read articles saying that the Bills line this year may be one of the worst in history it is freaking depressing.

Through all that though I will still say.......GO BILLS!!

Amen brother...

Plus the Bills new O line coach is an assistant from KC... that gives me some peace of mind :thumbsup:

Look at it this way, should the Bills lose enough to be in position to draft next years #1 overall ...I highly doubt Gailey will still be the head coach. Looking at the draft and the way the team is being built with no real changes to the O line-QB-WR positions, I believe the Bills hired an offensive minded Dick Jauron.

How this franchise can keep paying millions of dollars to inferior coaches is beyond me, the old adage "you get what you pay for" still escapes RW. The Bills coulda had Martyball...he wanted the Bills job badly.

I had so much hope for the Buffalo Bills finally becoming a winner again after RW fired Jauron, and there was talk about Shanahan and Cowher becoming the next Bills head coach. Now, I find that that hope has done a rapid 180, and as the season gets closer all I can do is despair at the thought of what this team will look like in 2010. ;)

If Wangs injury is serious is there any chance that it forces the Bills hand and they go ahead and meet Baltimores demands for Gaither or will they sign some new scrub to add to our LT depth?

I don't know Wang alone forces Buffalo's hand, but in my opinion I think they should try to add talent at every opportunity to the Offensive line, especially at left tackle when the opportunity presents itself. I think they should try to trade Lynch for Gaither even up as Lynch could become a very good to great running back if he gains some mental maturity. I think Gaither is good to very good and would fit Buffalo's needs. He obviously isn't a good enough all-around player for Baltimore to bypass drafting Michael Oher 2 yrs ago, but he is an obvious upgrade to what we have currently on our roster. Baltimore feels that he only fits at Right tackle on their roster and during his absence the Ravens had a couple players step-in and impress the coaching staff making Gaither expendible.

I think this trade would be valuable to both clubs, and Lynch may have more upside in the long-term. I think that there is a reluctance on Baltimore's part to trade with Buffalo, as the Willis McGahee deal really hasn't panned out as well as Baltimore had hoped for. I think that Baltimore realizes that their defense is of championship caliber, and that they need to continue to improve on offense. I think that Lynch could potentially be an added dimension to Baltimore's offensive dynamics. I feel that Buffalo may have some reservations on trading for Gaither as there have been whispers about him lacking in work ethic and having an attitude similar to Jason Peters.

The first thing that Gaither's agent will attempt to do after Gaither is traded is to seek a new contract. The big bucks that left tackles demand in the NFL may may be more than the Bills are willing to spend on a roster that is young, rebuilding, and still missing parts. This may be the very reason that I would want to land Gaither in a trade. It comes down to risk versus reward, and this is the same reason why the Bills waited until late in the draft to select a QB instead of selecting one of the front-runner QB's that were available in the draft. They instead made a more conservative, safe pick instead of spending big money on a 1st or 2nd round QB that could be the next Jim Kelly or a bust in the likes of Ryan Leaf. I don't see the Bills actually making this trade with Baltimore. I believe which ever team blinks first loses in a trade of Lynch for Gaither, and I could see Baltimore asking for an additional draft pick besides Lynch or next year's 2nd round pick instead of a player, which has already been established in previous reports. Either way trading for Gaither is a balzy move, and there is an element of risk involved, just like any trade. I really believe Buddy Nix is trying to build almost solely through the draft process, and if that approach works it will require patience, and time. I believe the Bills could become playoff capable in 2012 based on that philosophy...providing they retain their better players and pay to keep them here, rather than losing them in free agency. .

Here is my guess as to what the Bills are really doing in regards to Lynch, think the Bills are going to hang on to Lynch until a team in the league sustains a RB injury on it's roster. I think the Bills realize that eventually there will be a need for a RB somewhere, and when that need arises that the Bills will hold the advantage and be able to demand the second round draft pick for 2011 that they covet for Lynch's services. It's poker time at One Bills Drive!!! :thumbsup:

Wang is listed as the 3rd string LT right now, so of course losing Wang now forces the Bills to cave into whatever demands Baltimore has for an unmotivated, and lazy starter LT!

Make Sense. Without Wang, All is Lost.

When looking at entire OL roster, just amazing how youthful it is ...

More Than 2 Years Experience:

74 Green, Cornell 6-6 315 33 9 Central Florida

63 Hangartner, Geoff 6-5 301 28 6 Texas A&M

73 Chambers, Kirk 6-7 315 31 6 Stanford

2nd Year:

70 Wood, Eric 6-4 315 24 2 Louisville

77 Bell, Demetrius 6-5 307 26 2 Northwestern State

61 Gaddis, Christian 6-1 300 25 2 Villanova

67 Levitre, Andy 6-2 305 24 2 Oregon State

69 Meredith, Jamon 6-5 304 24 2 South Carolina

76 Ramsey, Andre 6-5 322 22 2 Ball State

1st Year (but non-rookie):

66 Watkins, Jason 6-6 325 24 1 Florida

79 Hennessey, Nick 6-5 291 23 1 Colgate

Rookies:

75 Allen, Sean 6-3 305 22 R East Carolina

60 Calloway, Kyle 6-7 315 22 R Iowa

62 Guerra, Jorge 6-3 300 22 R Texas A&M - Kingsville

68 Howard, Cordaro 6-4 314 22 R Georgia Tech

71 Wang, Ed 6-5 301 23 R Virginia Tech

2nd Year:

Rookies:

And this is a good thing?

Nix has already said you can't do it all in one year. I'm paraphrasing of course, but the point is this is a 2+ year rebuild and results probably won't be there very quickly.

The OT starters and depth are very poor, but offensive lineman don't sell tickets either. While some fans are gushing about Spiller, I bet every personnel guy at OBD realizes that the OL is again a huge question mark with marginal talent. Last year plenty of fans on this very board glossed over the details of moving guys, trading Peters, and starting rookies. We know how that worked out. And it's happening all over again thinking project players like Bell, Meredith, and Wang are going to be dependable starters.

Nix has already said you can't do it all in one year. I'm paraphrasing of course, but the point is this is a 2+ year rebuild and results probably won't be there very quickly.

The OT starters and depth are very poor, but offensive lineman don't sell tickets either. While some fans are gushing about Spiller, I bet every personnel guy at OBD realizes that the OL is again a huge question mark with marginal talent. Last year plenty of fans on this very board glossed over the details of moving guys, trading Peters, and starting rookies. We know how that worked out. And it's happening all over again thinking project players like Bell, Meredith, and Wang are going to be dependable starters.

hey - it's not like Bell or Wang are injured and missing time or anything

what's the problem?

these guys are all young, so they will all mature and jell together

They have to be good since Buddy said so and did not bring in any replacements or upgrades

the more time passes, the more they will magically become real NFL players

Amen brother...

Plus the Bills new O line coach is an assistant from KC... that gives me some peace of mind :thumbsup:

Look at it this way, should the Bills lose enough to be in position to draft next years #1 overall ...I highly doubt Gailey will still be the head coach. Looking at the draft and the way the team is being built with no real changes to the O line-QB-WR positions, I believe the Bills hired an offensive minded Dick Jauron.

How this franchise can keep paying millions of dollars to inferior coaches is beyond me, the old adage "you get what you pay for" still escapes RW. The Bills coulda had Martyball...he wanted the Bills job badly.

I had so much hope for the Buffalo Bills finally becoming a winner again after RW fired Jauron, and there was talk about Shanahan and Cowher becoming the next Bills head coach. Now, I find that that hope has done a rapid 180, and as the season gets closer all I can do is despair at the thought of what this team will look like in 2010. ;)

looks like the world cup's gonna have a new fan, eh?

You are equating a 5th round rookie with a proven starting LT???? Don't be ridiculous. If he is done for the year he goes on IR and we sign some other stiff to be a back-up swing guard- tackle. If we are serious about getting a quality LT then they go after Gaither. My hunch is they are going to stick with Bell at LT and they were hoping Wang might be suitable for RT in a year or two.

looks like the world cup's gonna have a new fan, eh?

Every head coach that gets hired figures he has at the very least the length of his contract to prove he can turn the team into a winner.

Clearly Jauron figured after his extension he would have time to develop Aaron Maybin, even if it took 2-3 years. What coaches don't realize is that it is a "win now" league. Drafting players that need 2-3 years to develop can kill a coach. Kay Stephenson drafted Bruce Smith, a lot of good it did him.

I'm sure Cam Cameron thought he had more then one year in Miami, and 1-15 did him in.

Bottom line, I like Chan Gailey and really want to see him get a shot at further developing Trent Edwards, but looking at that O line and both tackle and center positions needing upgrades, and then he ignores them in the draft and free agency so far. It shows me he can't develop any QB who is playing behind such a bad line.

I'll still cheer for the Bills and hope that Gailey proves me wrong, although I highly doubt it. I suppose I'll await his firing and hope for the Bills owner to finally get fed up with losing. Something which he will never do as long as fans keep buying tickets.

People forget what prompted RW to hire Chuck Knox ...10 straight years of losing to the Dolphins. He got very lucky with Bill Polian after back to back 2-14 seasons. Just don't forget that Polian was only promoted because the incumbent GM had a heart attack. Its not like Polian was hand picked to build the team, he fell into the job.

Amen brother...

Plus the Bills new O line coach is an assistant from KC... that gives me some peace of mind :wallbash:

Look at it this way, should the Bills lose enough to be in position to draft next years #1 overall ...I highly doubt Gailey will still be the head coach.

The Bills have already understood that they are likely to be lousy this year. If they hadn't accepted that, they would have picked up Clausen or Pike and an LT.

We're rebuilding. You don't seem ready to accept it, but it's very obvious that the Bills brass have. We're going to be lousy this year. If we're still lousy in 2012, they'll start to think about canning Gailey.

Wang is listed as the 3rd string LT right now, so of course losing Wang now forces the Bills to cave into whatever demands Baltimore has for an unmotivated, and lazy starter LT!

If Gaither was so lousy and unmotivated, they would be happy to get something like a third for him. They won't, because they like him.

But you're right on about Wang. When your 3rd stringer goes down, it doesn't put a whole lot of pressure on you to replace him immediately with a high-level guy.

2nd Year:

Rookies:

This is Bell's third year, not his second. There seems to be a desperate wish to believe that he was a rookie last year, probably because it would make his lousy performance seem more palatable. I've seen a lot of people make the same mistake. However, look it up and you will find that Bell has been a Bill for two years. This will be his third year.

The Bills have already understood that they are likely to be lousy this year. If they hadn't accepted that, they would have picked up Clausen or Pike and an LT.

We're rebuilding. You don't seem ready to accept it, but it's very obvious that the Bills brass have. We're going to be lousy this year. If we're still lousy in 2012, they'll start to think about canning Gailey.

I am totally ok with rebuilding. I welcome rebuilding. But drafting a RB in the top 10 as your first pick of the new regime does not scream out rebuilding to me it says we want a new way to sell tickets without building a good team. Drafting front 5 on O and front 7 on D is how you rebuild a team.

And to the two year plan concept: if this is year number one and we added a RB, DT, DE, WR with out first 4 picks does that mean that next year the plan is a QB a LT and a RT?

Seems backwards to me.

Im just at a loss as to how the Bills front office and coaching staff can take a look at our tackles, both starters and depth, and not shudder.

Maybe because they're lifelong students of football and professionally accomplished evaluators of talent and you're not?

Neither am I so I think I'll put my trust in Nixley. For now.

I don't know Wang alone forces Buffalo's hand, but in my opinion I think they should try to add talent at every opportunity to the Offensive line, especially at left tackle when the opportunity presents itself. I think they should try to trade Lynch for Gaither even up as Lynch could become a very good to great running back if he gains some mental maturity. I think Gaither is good to very good and would fit Buffalo's needs. He obviously isn't a good enough all-around player for Baltimore to bypass drafting Michael Oher 2 yrs ago, but he is an obvious upgrade to what we have currently on our roster. Baltimore feels that he only fits at Right tackle on their roster and during his absence the Ravens had a couple players step-in and impress the coaching staff making Gaither expendible.

What is it with this man crush some of you have on Gaither? Stop and think for a minute: why would a team be ready and willing to get rid of a guy who was a high draft pick just a couple of years ago? That should be a huge flashing red light that something ain't kosher with the guy.

What is it with this man crush some of you have on Gaither? Stop and think for a minute: why would a team be ready and willing to get rid of a guy who was a high draft pick just a couple of years ago? That should be a huge flashing red light that something ain't kosher with the guy.

The reason they want to move him is because Oher fell into their lap last year and is a franchise LT. Sure moving Gaither to RT sounds smart to us but they don’t want to pay a right tackle left tackle money. That is the main reason they want to move him.

Oh and you go right ahead and keep ur faith in Nix and his eye for talent and we will rehash this convo at the end of the year when the Bills are 2-14 took the most sacks in the NFL and lost at least 2 QBs to injury.

You cannot be serious when you say that you are ok with this O Line and or the direction of this quote unquote rebuilding plan. Im sure you have been a Bills fan long enough to not be that naive.

Your absolutely correct, I'm not ready to accept it...and neither should any head coach.

That rebuilding crap is for 1-15 / 2-14 teams,this Bills team has been rebuilding for TEN YEARS!

Every time they hire a new head coach he has to implement his schemes and system and players and it hasn't worked yet!

This team was like 5 players away from being very good and most every Bills fan knows exactly what positions needed filling. (Left tackle)-(Right Tackle)- (Starting WR) -(OLB)-(NT for the 3-4) Ignoring that one position is going to haunt this team just like it did last season when jauron ignored it.

The Bills could have addressed the WR position by making a play for Brandon Marshal- Anquan Bolden-Santonio Holms, instead the Dolphins, Jets and Ravens got way better.

When Marv Levy was hired his first statement was " we are going to get as good as we can, as fast as we can!" Rebuilding is for losers and is an excuse for losing.

This is Bell's third year, not his second. There seems to be a desperate wish to believe that he was a rookie last year, probably because it would make his lousy performance seem more palatable. I've seen a lot of people make the same mistake. However, look it up and you will find that Bell has been a Bill for two years. This will be his third year.

You may be correct, but I pulled this information directly from BuffaloBills.com roster.

I am totally ok with rebuilding. I welcome rebuilding. But drafting a RB in the top 10 as your first pick of the new regime does not scream out rebuilding to me it says we want a new way to sell tickets without building a good team. Drafting front 5 on O and front 7 on D is how you rebuild a team.

And to the two year plan concept: if this is year number one and we added a RB, DT, DE, WR with out first 4 picks does that mean that next year the plan is a QB a LT and a RT?

Seems backwards to me.

or what it says is that the offence had no play makers and was unbearble with its inability to score points.

This team ended the last few years with the same record when they had a Pro Bowl LT and a Revolving Door at LT. Your line just has to be good/serviceable to have success

The reason they want to move him is because Oher fell into their lap last year and is a franchise LT. Sure moving Gaither to RT sounds smart to us but they don’t want to pay a right tackle left tackle money. That is the main reason they want to move him.

Oh and you go right ahead and keep ur faith in Nix and his eye for talent and we will rehash this convo at the end of the year when the Bills are 2-14 took the most sacks in the NFL and lost at least 2 QBs to injury.

You cannot be serious when you say that you are ok with this O Line and or the direction of this quote unquote rebuilding plan. Im sure you have been a Bills fan long enough to not be that naive.

What makes you actually believe this? They had basically this exact same o-line last year and yet they won 6 games (and were in many others they could have won)

Seems backwards to me.

I didn't like taking an RB in the first either, even though I do like Spiller.

But there are a lot of ways to rebuild. The one crucial thing is that you need to get a QB as early as possible, IMHO, but a few teams don't even go by that. Except for QB and WR, it doesn't take 3 years to learn most positions. So, there's a lot of flexibility in how to go about it.

I wouldn't have done what they did. But they're still well within the boundaries of rebuilding.

Has it occurred to you that actually, the Ravens DON'T seem all that eager to get rid of him. If they were, he would be gone already. Why? Because he's damn good? Because they might well have a shot at the championship this year and are a much better team with Gaither? That's definitely something that is in their thinking.

And in what universe is a fifth-rounder a high draft pick? Gaither was a supplemental draft fifth-rounder, who was the sixth-best tackle in the league last year according to the excellent profootballfocus.com.

Your absolutely correct, I'm not ready to accept it...and neither should any head coach.

That rebuilding crap is for 1-15 / 2-14 teams,this Bills team has been rebuilding for TEN YEARS!

Every time they hire a new head coach he has to implement his schemes and system and players and it hasn't worked yet!

This team was like 5 players away from being very good and most every Bills fan knows exactly what positions needed filling. (Left tackle)-(Right Tackle)- (Starting WR) -(OLB)-(NT for the 3-4) Ignoring that one position is going to haunt this team just like it did last season when jauron ignored it.

The Bills could have addressed the WR position by making a play for Brandon Marshal- Anquan Bolden-Santonio Holms, instead the Dolphins, Jets and Ravens got way better.

When Marv Levy was hired his first statement was " we are going to get as good as we can, as fast as we can!" Rebuilding is for losers and is an excuse for losing.

You're right. Rebuilding sucks.

The only problem is that the only alternatives are much much worse. Such as continued sub-mediocrity.

As a quick example .... how did that "we are going to get as good as we can, as fast as we can" thing work out for us?

You may be correct, but I pulled this information directly from BuffaloBills.com roster.

Actually, I am indeed correct, regardless of where the info comes from.

Check anything about Bell and you can find out when he came out.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft for example.

He was a 7th rounder in 2008.

He spent 2008 on the roster, not the practice squad, but was never activated to play in any games in 2008, and we all know about 2009.

or what it says is that the offence had no play makers and was unbearble with its inability to score points.

This team ended the last few years with the same record when they had a Pro Bowl LT and a Revolving Door at LT. Your line just has to be good/serviceable to have success

If your OL is only serviceable, and you want to have success, you had better be absolutely excellent pretty much everywhere else on your roster.

That argument about how we didn't have success when we had Peters on the lineup and therefore a good LT is unimportant is crap. The Saints didn't have success with the terrific Archie Manning in the lineup at QB, and therefore a good QB is unimportant if we go by this specious logic.

A good LT becomes hugely important when the rest of the line has no weak links. The whole time Peters was here, teams just attacked our weak links, such as center and LG instead. When there are no obvious weak links, then most of their attacks will come around LT, and that's when having a good one becomes huge.

What makes you actually believe this? They had basically this exact same o-line last year and yet they won 6 games (and were in many others they could have won).

You know, I think you missed the main point. Winning six games ... is that good? Yeah, they were in many others they could have won ... DID THEY WIN THEM? I don't believe they did.

They had the exact same o-line last year? Really? Oh, man, am I relieved. I thought that Butler had retired. Glad he rethought that, because there's no question that he was the best OL on our team last year and will be again this year. And I'm so relieved to hear that they re-signed Incognito. Man, things are looking up indeed. And Bell will be out for eight games or so this year? Because that really helped us when he went out and Jonathan Scott came in. And speaking of Scott, who played eight games for us at LT last year, thank goodness the Bills did an about-face on that and decided to re-sign him. I had thought that he was gone, but if you say that we will have the same line, Scott must be on the roster, and thank goodness, because he played a lot better than Bell did. Kendall Simmons played a bunch for us, too. I could have sworn he hadn't returned. Must have been wrong.

Seth McKinney played quite a bit last year too. Surprised to hear that he's back.

Actually, I am indeed correct, regardless of where the info comes from.

Check anything about Bell and you can find out when he came out.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft for example.

He was a 7th rounder in 2008.

He spent 2008 on the roster, not the practice squad, but was never activated to play in any games in 2008, and we all know about 2009.

That's the key line right there -- "was never activated". That's why he is listed as a 2nd-year guy instead of a 3rd-year guy. But I agree with you -- he should be considered to have more experience and thus more should be expected from him.