Charlie Whitehurst Should Be Worrying About JP Losman, Not Matt Hassel

Charlie Whitehurst Should Be Worrying About JP Losman, Not Matt Hasselbeck

AUTHOR: Andrew Auger

"...Pete Carroll has already put his hand picked quarterback of the future on notice, and we haven’t even reached training camp.

"Although former Bills first rounder JP Losman is still learning the system, Carroll is already praising his newest reclamation project on his major league arm:

“He’s got a lot to learn, but he has a terrific arm — a major-league arm, he’s really hungry. He wants to jump right into this thing.”

"... The competition Whitehurst should be worried about for now, shouldn’t be pushing Hasselbeck to be the week one starter; but to make sure he can hang onto his backup job with someone who has had success in this league chomping at the bit to relegate him to third string status once again.

"From ESPN: The coach has already warned Charlie Whitehurst, the backup who is pushing three-time Pro Bowler Matt Hasselbeck, that Losman is already pushing Whitehurst.

"Quote from Carroll on Seattle PI: 'I’ve already talked to Charlie (Whitehurst) about feeling the push from J.P. That’s kind of how this goes.'"

"This could all prove null and void though if Losman shows flashes of his 2006 form when he passed for 3,051 yards, 19 TD’s, 14 INT’s, a 62.5 CMP %, and an 84.9 QBR.

"That’s the difference between these two, Whitehurst hasn’t shown us his true colors yet. In contrast we already know what Losman bring to the table; a former first rounder who did not live up to expectations but has proven he can be productive in the NFL.

"It’s going to be an interesting situation to watch play out; what happens if Losman does indeed outperform Whitehurst in training camp?"

http://12thmanrising.com/2010/05/24/charli...att-hasselbeck/

Color me not surprised...

I've felt a lot of our players have been subjected to abnormal situations, such as crappy coaching, revolving doors for OC/DC's, etc. Although I do not think JP will be showing up at the Pro Bowl anytime soon, I do think he can be successful in the NFL if given the right system. We may see more of our past and even present "busts" go on to play well elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've felt a lot of our players have been subjected to abnormal situations, such as crappy coaching, revolving doors for OC/DC's, etc. Although I do not think JP will be showing up at the Pro Bowl anytime soon, I do think he can be successful in the NFL if given the right system. We may see more of our past and even present "busts" go on to play well elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I agree...and while I think most of our "busts" are truly busts, there's been a number of them who simply didn't fit into our systems (John Parella springs to mind) or were the victims of bad coaching (Antowain Smith)...I'm hoping JP fits into that group and can turn it around in Seattle

Yeah a relatively young qb who was a borderline bust/may still have potential cause he has a great arm pushing some guy who's never thrown a pass in the NFL,despite being in the league for 4 years. The guy couldn't even get mop up duty playing on the Chargers, who have blown the doors off some teams. I guess it's more impressive than "winning a qb battle" between Kelly Holcomb and Craig Nall. At some point Losman/Whitehurst will get to start a game here or there maybe more. Hasselbeck is at the tail end of his career. It's than we'll see just who Pete Carroll favors. Thats by no means a remotely good qb situation.

I agree...and while I think most of our "busts" are truly busts, there's been a number of them who simply didn't fit into our systems (John Parella springs to mind) or were the victims of bad coaching (Antowain Smith)...I'm hoping JP fits into that group and can turn it around in Seattle

Hype .... 32 teams passed on JP in his first free agency period. The guy has a great arm and one somewhat solid season. Not likely that he will emerge from the ashes.

Charlie Whitehurst Should Be Worrying About JP Losman, Not Matt Hasselbeck

AUTHOR: Andrew Auger

"...Pete Carroll has already put his hand picked quarterback of the future on notice, and we haven’t even reached training camp.

"Although former Bills first rounder JP Losman is still learning the system, Carroll is already praising his newest reclamation project on his major league arm:

“He’s got a lot to learn, but he has a terrific arm — a major-league arm, he’s really hungry. He wants to jump right into this thing.”

"... The competition Whitehurst should be worried about for now, shouldn’t be pushing Hasselbeck to be the week one starter; but to make sure he can hang onto his backup job with someone who has had success in this league chomping at the bit to relegate him to third string status once again.

"From ESPN: The coach has already warned Charlie Whitehurst, the backup who is pushing three-time Pro Bowler Matt Hasselbeck, that Losman is already pushing Whitehurst.

"Quote from Carroll on Seattle PI: 'I’ve already talked to Charlie (Whitehurst) about feeling the push from J.P. That’s kind of how this goes.'"

"This could all prove null and void though if Losman shows flashes of his 2006 form when he passed for 3,051 yards, 19 TD’s, 14 INT’s, a 62.5 CMP %, and an 84.9 QBR.

"That’s the difference between these two, Whitehurst hasn’t shown us his true colors yet. In contrast we already know what Losman bring to the table; a former first rounder who did not live up to expectations but has proven he can be productive in the NFL.

"It’s going to be an interesting situation to watch play out; what happens if Losman does indeed outperform Whitehurst in training camp?"

http://12thmanrising.com/2010/05/24/charli...att-hasselbeck/

Looks like an entire article was crafted around a simple toss away line by a coach who is applying early motivation for the guy he swapped a 2nd and gave up next years third for.

JP always looks great Monday through Friday. No doubt Carroll has already figured this out.

This is great.

Another NFL coach dazzled by JP's arm and athleticism.

Can't wait for the follow-up article with background whispers from the coaching staff about JP's rock for brains and trouble connecting on intermediate routes.

Exactly. JP's arm was never the issue. What's between his ears is. You can't teach guys how to make faster decisions. Some guys need a split second longer to process a defense and that's a huge difference on the field. That indecision is the difference between getting the ball out and taking an inopportune sack with a fumble going the other way...Which is what we came to love JP for :worthy:

JP was sadly the best QB we have had since Bledsoe's good year. I found the comment that he has a "LOT TO LEARN" intriguing. How terrible of a job did we do with that kid if at about 30 he has a lot to learn????? I guess our coaching REALLY WAS that bad.

Edturds doesn't have anywhere near the physical gifts that Losman has but maybe with better coaching he can not lose us a few games and keep the spot warm for Jake Locker next year :worthy:

This is great.

Another NFL coach dazzled by JP's arm and athleticism.

Can't wait for the follow-up article with background whispers from the coaching staff about JP's rock for brains and trouble connecting on intermediate routes.

Followed by a critique of California QB's

I never thought JP was a bust, did the Bills ever give him a legit chance to succeed?

They did in '06 and the truth is, he played reasonably well. Not at a pro bowl level, mind you, but it was arguably the 2nd best season by a Bills QB in about a decade. That's a bit of a backhanded compliment, but they've proven they can do worse at the QB position. And as to whether or not Dick and the merry band of morons ever gave him a real shot, as a reward for Losman's halfway decent season, the Bills drafted Trent Edwards rather than use that 3rd round pick on offensive line help or receivers.

I guarantee when Joey Harrington got released from the Lions, there were the same comments from the Dolphins. As for the bad coaching, Sam Wyche (former SB coach), Steve Fairchild (led CSU to more wins in his 1st season there thean they had in the 2 previous seasons), Tom Clements (he really sucks with Aaron Rodgers huh?), and Mike Mularkey (funny how Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, and Ryan all had career seasons under him) laugh at you.

But it's always the coaches' fault. It's never the overmatched, overdrafted player's fault. :lol:

I guarantee when Joey Harrington got released from the Lions, there were the same comments from the Dolphins. As for the bad coaching, Sam Wyche (former SB coach), Steve Fairchild (led CSU to more wins in his 1st season there thean they had in the 2 previous seasons), Tom Clements (he really sucks with Aaron Rodgers huh?), and Mike Mularkey (funny how Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, and Ryan all had career seasons under him) laugh at you.

But it's always the coaches' fault. It's never the overmatched, overdrafted player's fault. :lol:

I agree with you for the most part about how players who don't succeed are often given the benefit of the doubt too many times because of percieved bad coaching. In fact, you never hear a coach getting the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't his coaching but the players lack of ability to succeed at this level.

However, I do think the JP may have a legitimate case here. JP literally was grossly mismanaged in the key development stages of his career, played in terrible offensive schemes, and didn't exactly have a lot of talent as a whole around him on the offense.

The thing that I think seperates him is that he has a lot of physical gifts to work with. Where he failed consistently at was his decision making on the field, and in actuality that is an area where good coaching can really make a difference. I am not saying he will for sure be this or that, but I do think he has legitimate case in regards to how coaching and his gross mismanagement greatly impacted his failures in Buffalo.

Remember, he was regarded as a very raw talent that needed to be properly groomed, which he clearly was not. So, I do think that in JP's case he legitmately has a chance to blossom into a starter in this league with right coach, and Carrol may just be that guy. Fassel thought pretty highly of his progress in the year he spent with him. So, maybe with more good coaching, he can continue to progress.

I would not be surprised if he did develop into a starter under Carrol, at the same time I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt either.