New York Jets

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first heard of PSL's down here in Tennessee and could not believe what a colossal ripoff it is. When the Houston Oilers moved here that's the only way you could get season tickets. I can tell you right now I'll never pay a fee, just to have the right to buy a seat.

When it comes to that, I'll just party in the parking lot and listen to it on the radio.

The B'gals sold PSLs based on a false seating chart for their new - free - stadium. Folks had to sue to (eventually) get their $ back, and the Brown family got to use the float.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Artic.../BengalsPSL.htm

BTW - the NFL is a non-profit organization...

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2002/wr...se.fourth3.html

It's really sickening what the NFL has turned into.

How is this on the NFL? This is the business side of the game. PSLs are not anyhting new---they help pay for new stadiums. The market will determine what happens to those seasts.

Jax has empty seats because not enough people want to pay whatever tickets cost to see that team--hence the blackouts. Similarly, not enough Jets fans want to pay for that much to watch the Jets live. Woody Johnson will simply have to change his stance on pricing as the year goes on if he can't sell them at their currrent prices. That's the way it works.

They called me for tix...

I received two mailing from the Jets concerning season tickets. Uh, sorry dudes, I'm a Bills fan. A buddy of mine at work has Jets season tickets and was moved from the upper tier 50 yard line to the upper tier 5 yard line in the new stadium. After some time and seeing the viewing angle, he broke down and paid a $4K PSL per seat to move to the lower tier. And the team even had a financing plan to loan you the money for the PSL at a 'fan friendly' interest rate. Nice of them, right?

All these unsold lower tier seats are going to hurt the teams home field advantage. In general, the corporate seat buyers at the bottom are not the ardent, hard-core fans. Gonna be a lot of noise generated from the 'real' fans in the upper tier but silence from the lower levels. And empty seats don't make noise for the defense on 3rd and long. That's good for us......

the greed of the NFL is appalling. they want to bleed every cent they can out of the public. how much is enough for these guys? i believe in the free-market system as much as anybody, but there are so many galling examples of greed that they could give the crooks on wall st a run for their money! not allowing bidding for the NFL ticket, strict enforcement of the blackout rule, PSL'S, i cant think of anymore right now, but the list keeps growing and i do not get it. they probably will kill the "golden goose".

How is this on the NFL? This is the business side of the game. PSLs are not anyhting new---they help pay for new stadiums. The market will determine what happens to those seasts.

Jax has empty seats because not enough people want to pay whatever tickets cost to see that team--hence the blackouts. Similarly, not enough Jets fans want to pay for that much to watch the Jets live. Woody Johnson will simply have to change his stance on pricing as the year goes on if he can't sell them at their currrent prices. That's the way it works.

The problem with what you say is that the NFL is a legal monopoly. While you can argue they "compete" for entertainment dollars the reality is that their pricing structure does not face the ravages of a true market. Personally I hope the Jests black out all of their games. Wouldn't that be a nice turn of events for the league to deal with - largest TV market in the country has half of their season blacked out.

The season is still months away, but is the NFL really prepared going to let games be blacked out in its biggest market because of an owner's greed? Wow.

What should the League do? Make the Jets owner lower his prices? Did he make Jerry Jones lower his PSL prices? Or any other owner?

there won't be any blackouts in NY... if the PSL's don't' get sold, the tix will just be sold as individual game tix. But PSL's are the worst thing ever

Not if Johnson sticks to his guns...

"...Johnson also told The Post that he will refuse to lift the hugely unpopular PSLs for the unsold lower-bowl seats on a game-by-game basis just to avoid blackouts this fall."

there won't be any blackouts in NY... if the PSL's don't' get sold, the tix will just be sold as individual game tix. But PSL's are the worst thing ever

Exactly. Those PSL seats will be sold one way or another. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the add the prorated cost of the PSL to each ticket.

But this begs a question about the Bills: What would you do if building a new stadium guaranteed the Bills would stay but the only way it gets built is if the Bills charge season ticket holders for PSL's?

That's a tough one. If it were $2-3 Grand, and if I could spread the payments out, I might do it. What's wrong with most PSL's is the money goes right to the team's pocket. That's just wrong.

Here's what I would propose: Instead of a PSL, each season ticket owner would loan the money to the Bills to build a new stadium. So over a period of time, 10-20 years, you would get your money back, or you would get a reduction in ticket prices equal to your loan amount. What do you think?

PTR

That's what happens with all the WE NEED A NEW STADIUM crap. The Ralph is a perfectly acceptable stadium to watch Three Hours of football 8-12 times a year. It's Football, NOT GOLF . Keep the stadium in good shape, the Field on par with the league and the prices reasonable . If I feel the need to sit in a recliner or have a fancy bathroom or pay more that $8 for a beer I'll do that from home w/o paying for my seats. :thumbsup:

I received two mailing from the Jets concerning season tickets. Uh, sorry dudes, I'm a Bills fan. A buddy of mine at work has Jets season tickets and was moved from the upper tier 50 yard line to the upper tier 5 yard line in the new stadium. After some time and seeing the viewing angle, he broke down and paid a $4K PSL per seat to move to the lower tier. And the team even had a financing plan to loan you the money for the PSL at a 'fan friendly' interest rate. Nice of them, right?

All these unsold lower tier seats are going to hurt the teams home field advantage. In general, the corporate seat buyers at the bottom are not the ardent, hard-core fans. Gonna be a lot of noise generated from the 'real' fans in the upper tier but silence from the lower levels. And empty seats don't make noise for the defense on 3rd and long. That's good for us......

great point.

That's what happens with all the WE NEED A NEW STADIUM crap. The Ralph is a perfectly acceptable stadium to watch Three Hours of football 8-12 times a year. It's Football, NOT GOLF . Keep the stadium in good shape, the Field on par with the league and the prices reasonable . If I feel the need to sit in a recliner or have a fancy bathroom or pay more that $8 for a beer I'll do that from home w/o paying for my seats. :thumbsup:

i think that also. parking is great, access is good, stadium is in decent shape. why the need for a new one?it has luxury boxes that realize a profit. everybody cannot be NY or dallas. we are buffalo, money is made off the bills, decent profit!.

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out in the scalpers market. I usually buy scalped tix to see the Bills play the Jets every year. I rarely pay more than $100 and am usually between the 20s in the lower bowl.