SDS

Best Bills site even with all the stuff you have to wade through. :doh: (for ~NG~, he deserves 10 times the tips of the others :wallbash: )

thanks buddy!!! People can just give me Annie's share...I'm not even sure if she's around here anymore.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks buddy!!! People can just give me Annie's share...I'm not even sure if she's around here anymore.

Oh, she's still here. She just lurks in the shadows until some chimp behind a keyboard needs a slap upside the noggin. :lol:

That's really odd, I don't remember typing the post you're quoting. Well, I remember typing it, but I dont' remember it saying what it says now. Meds must really be working today. :lol:

I offer my thanks as well and share a little story that gives the significance of TBD to this individual it is probably just another Board to some and that is fine as though many seem to treat individual views as applying to all things and everyone (particularly stuff on the Internet when the actual take home should be the Internet blogs et al. simply demonstrate that there is a lot more than one truth or one rule for everything important) but this is one person's experience with TBD that for sure speaks to its growing long history.

I found my way to TBD in 1997 or 8 or so when I had actually found the Rochester D & C Board in 96 or 7 while still in Buffalo. The D&C Board was a great place for info and what was a building community. However, the D&C being a newspaper and the Internet just being born they had a devotion to free speech that simply proved unworkable in the real world.

Their devotion to free speech led to no or spotty at best editing and individuals having different tolerances of what is over the line (something we are experiencing this dichotomy today even here on TSW even today as one person's grievous insult is judged by another person to be legitimate discussion). The end product ended up being the collapse of the D&C Board as folks with simply moderate knowledge of computers judged themselves to be experts and reacted against any editing effort by sending recurring offensive messages that though primitive by today's Internet protection standards quickly destroyed the D&C site for everyone.

Into the breach stepped Scott Sarama whose TBD site was governed by the free market and thus he (and eventually the moderators were able like any business let free speech be darned if it got in the way of doing normal activity. The moderators proved to be wonderfully draconian in simply deleting offending posts. Further, Scott and his braintrust were able to demonstrate to the Internet "experts" who had brought down the D&C Board when their sense of free speech was offended by requirements that they play well with others that in fact they were legends in their own minds who could be effectively banned from posting on TSW and who attempts at retaliation could be blocked or shifted aside.

TSW and TBD played an important role for me at this time as my lovely spouse needed a major organ transplant and the best place to do this seemed to us to not be in Buffalo but actually off in St. Louis. These were tough times for us where we were away from the support to the family and the City of Good Neighbors for 7 months. There were several moments in the intensive care unit where no one knew what was gonna happen next.

Yet, a beacon out there in the wilderness of the midwest was the emergence of TSW out of the ashes of the D& C site. Arguing the status of Doug Flutie was a welcome distraction from waiting to see if the new organ resisted the immune system of it new body. It was a welcome connection to back home as we went back and forth to St. Louis for much of the next couple of years for several week stays as the fine tuned her immune suppression and I knew up to date Bills info as well as folks on the home front who did not patrol the web yet.

I have been off and on TSW for the better part of about a dozen years and even though it is not perfect for anyone it has been great to me.

So many thanks to Scott and the gang you do us proud!

PS- Even though the stats were that 5 years after the transplant only 50% of folks transplanted at the same time as my wife would still be alive she is still kickin after 12 re-birthdays post transplant.

Glad to hear your story, GP…

I spend a considerable amount of time here and it's an important part of my routine. In my own mind, that makes me a bit of a loser in some regards. Arguably there are much better things I could be doing with my time.

But this place is both fun and important to me. And I've met lots of interesting people here.

Anyways, hearing your story makes me feel better on many different levels…especially after yesterday.

Health and happiness to you and your wife.

Scott and TSW helped changed the game in NFL team / fan relations back in those early days! Not to mention the rogue crew of Buffalo Bills that have all united under one roof...

So Scotty and all the mods, thanks for all you do!

Scott, maybe you can throw up a PayPal link, people can donate what they want for a few months and then at the home opener you can award the mods with cool cash money. However it's done, I'm down to donate.

I have to admit that I do try and look at this site daily, and usually more often than that. Thank you to all involved in letting us get the Bills fix we need (I myself am tired of reading Raiders/49ers every day in the newspaper). And thanks to all of the great people who share their views here. Finally, thanks to all that have invited me to partake in their fantasy sports leagues. Yes, I have figured out that you all just invite me because somebody has to be in last place!

Scott, maybe you can throw up a PayPal link, people can donate what they want for a few months and then at the home opener you can award the mods with cool cash money.

So NG can be bought?, yet I can't own a Canadian??

Big thanks to the mods (even the one I am not particulary fond of...lol :lol: ) for running such a great board. There isnt even another board I go to of any kind, just this one. Being self employed I pretty much have the time to do whatever each day, and within that time I always make a stop here at this board and often several times in a day.

Its pratically become part of my morning routine that starts with a quick check on the market and my portfolio, then my email, and then TSW. This is usally followed by breakfast and a cup of coffee (with Baileys in it...if you havent had your coffee with Baileys in it you are missing out :P ) before I get back on the computer for round 2 of checking my email and this board.

My girl thinks its funny that I get on here so much, but then again she checks her facebook almost as much. Being out here in Southern California, I dont really have any sources for Bills news unless its a major move covered by national media (like TO being signed, Jauron being fired, etc). So, this is really my only source for info on the Bills. So thank you for such a great site, I look forward to the improvements and cant wait to see them.

SDS (Scott, I think?),

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the work that you put into this board, the upkeep, and for managing the asylum in general. I know that there are some other mods (Simon, Lori, Nervous Guy...not sure who else), but it seems that you you do most of the website maintaining. Thanks for all that you do to allow us to be able to come together for the sake of our beloved Bills. I appreciate it!

Let me second that sentiment..... :lol:

What a bunch of suck-ups!!!

Seriously though, Scott and the mods .... thanks for all that you do. This is a fantastic forum and agree or disagree with any post or participant what a fun way to share thoughts with Bills loyalists. I look forward to future posting with all of you.