Dear Rotoworld: Eff you.

Soulfly3

C.J. Spiller, Bills – While fellow first-round backs Ryan Mathews and Jahvid Best landed in situations ready made for fantasy success, the No. 9 overall pick was banished to the NFL's version of Siberia. Forget the anonymity and lake effect snow, Spiller enters an offense flush with established running backs yet lacking in NFL caliber quarterbacks and offensive tackles. Presumed starter Trent Edwards was benched for noodle-armed Ryan Fitzpatrick, who gave way to former Packers draft bust Brian Brohm late in the season. The three of them will stage a "competition," with the winner dragging down the rest of the offense behind swinging gates Cornell Green and Demetrius Bell at tackle.

Coach Chan Gailey envisions Spiller as a hybrid weapon in the mold of Reggie Bush. Spiller (like Bush) refuses to run between the tackles, so he's best used out wide and on pitches and misdirections. Fred Jackson will continue to receive much of the early-down work, so Spiller's workload could be heavily dependent on game momentum. Whether he's truly a difference-making talent or not, the situation in Buffalo is a fantasy killer.

Rotoworld, though I must admit I use for up to the minute information, has the most biased and rediculous projections I know of... Theyre weekly 'start/sit' and 'fantasy rankings' are about as accurate as a teenaged moneyshot.

Please do us all a favour and save the degradation for your own articles, jackasses...

I will quote this article in an email to them if/when Spiller crushes in fantasy stats.

assement of Fitz and Edwards, fine....

discounting Spiller, the o-line (always injured) and the city itself, is just plain wrong.

... and I dont even live in the States!!!

There not putting down the B-Lo just the weather and the article is about right on. Our tackles as of now suck.

...behind swinging gates Cornell Green and Demetrius Bell at tackle.

This is the best line in their assessment. Those two are the most penalized OT's in the NFL last season, one of whom is coming off an ACL tear while the other was not re-signed by the bottom dwelling Oakland Raiders.

This is the best line in their assessment. Those two are the most penalized OT's in the NFL last season, one of whom is coming off an ACL tear while the other was not re-signed by the bottom dwelling Oakland Raiders.

It's sad but true. I still would like to see Nix find a veteran LT this off season at least. We were reported to be in the market for Gaither, correct?

...are about as accurate as a teenaged moneyshot.

Heh. That's a quote I can't use at work. Or maybe I can, not many people know the origin of that these days.

Agree with your sentiment on Rotoworld. Good for quick factual news.. but their analyses are not very reliable.

It's sad but true. I still would like to see Nix find a veteran LT this off season at least. We were reported to be in the market for Gaither, correct?

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't like Spiller the football player, media or on this board. It's simply that the team is building a running offense without the OL and has used 2 out of their last 5 1st rounders on RB's. To make matters worse, the pass blocking was sub-par in 09 (46 sacks allowed), which means no matter who's running the ball, the passing game won't keep defenses honest.

I think Gaither is a ruse, and many have pointed out that this was probably a ploy by Ozzie Newsome to "motivate" his player. No team deals a top notch LOT, right? :thumbsup:

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't like Spiller the football player, media or on this board. It's simply that the team is building a running offense without the OL and has used 2 out of their last 5 1st rounders on RB's. To make matters worse, the pass blocking was sub-par in 09 (46 sacks allowed), which means no matter who's running the ball, the passing game won't keep defenses honest.

And then there was that time we drafted a 1st round RB when we already had a productive 2nd round RB on the roster.... and all this happened in the past nine years :thumbsup:. I mean, I know buffalo has wind and needs a good run game and all.... but it gets a little crazy. If Nix and Whaley weren't brought in as a "new front office" I would be pretty much upset as everyone else who is pissed. Since this is the first year they are in control, I can just shrug my shoulders and just hope for the best and talk myself into thinking they are just cleaning up the mess the others left behind.

But that is really just thinking to get me to watch next season, especially in case there is a one year hiatus for the nfl in 2011.

the truth hurts.

i don't like it...but it's pretty much spot on.

Actually no its not pretty much spot on they did not do their research....spiller ran between the tackles a lot and with success...watch his highlight tapes...this guy is a moron

And then there was that time we drafted a 1st round RB when we already had a productive 2nd round RB on the roster.... and all this happened in the past nine years :thumbsup:. I mean, I know buffalo has wind and needs a good run game and all.... but it gets a little crazy. If Nix and Whaley weren't brought in as a "new front office" I would be pretty much upset as everyone else who is pissed. Since this is the first year they are in control, I can just shrug my shoulders and just hope for the best and talk myself into thinking they are just cleaning up the mess the others left behind.

But that is really just thinking to get me to watch next season, especially in case there is a one year hiatus for the nfl in 2011.

yeah.... and that productive 2nd round RB was a solid citizen who makes Lynch look like a choir boy.

They failed to mention we averaged 4.4 ypc not too many teams did better...we CAN run block...and with Spiller's ability, good luck stopping the guy...as far as fantasy is concerned though, too many backs to be worth it

A fact conveniently ignored by the average nay-sayer on this board. FJ didn't have all that much trouble running with this bunch. C J should make Fred appear slow.

C.J. Spiller, Bills – While fellow first-round backs Ryan Mathews and Jahvid Best landed in situations ready made for fantasy success, the No. 9 overall pick was banished to the NFL's version of Siberia. Forget the anonymity and lake effect snow, Spiller enters an offense flush with established running backs yet lacking in NFL caliber quarterbacks and offensive tackles. Presumed starter Trent Edwards was benched for noodle-armed Ryan Fitzpatrick, who gave way to former Packers draft bust Brian Brohm late in the season. The three of them will stage a "competition," with the winner dragging down the rest of the offense behind swinging gates Cornell Green and Demetrius Bell at tackle.

Coach Chan Gailey envisions Spiller as a hybrid weapon in the mold of Reggie Bush. Spiller (like Bush) refuses to run between the tackles, so he's best used out wide and on pitches and misdirections. Fred Jackson will continue to receive much of the early-down work, so Spiller's workload could be heavily dependent on game momentum. Whether he's truly a difference-making talent or not, the situation in Buffalo is a fantasy killer.

Rotoworld, though I must admit I use for up to the minute information, has the most biased and rediculous projections I know of... Theyre weekly 'start/sit' and 'fantasy rankings' are about as accurate as a teenaged moneyshot.

Please do us all a favour and save the degradation for your own articles, jackasses...

I will quote this article in an email to them if/when Spiller crushes in fantasy stats.

And ... you think this is an inaccurate projection based on what? The great QB and O-line play of the last 10 years?

They failed to mention we averaged 4.4 ypc not too many teams did better...we CAN run block...and with Spiller's ability, good luck stopping the guy...as far as fantasy is concerned though, too many backs to be worth it

The average yardage per run is not reflective of how good our line was at run blocking. There were many games in which we were losing and weren't capable of competently passing the ball. So even when we were behind we ran more than most "normal" teams would do in similar game situations. The defense was more than willing to concede the run and keep the clock running.

Anyone who watched most of the games recognizes that our OL was overmatched. The Bills line was below average with its full complement of starters, and when some injuries occurred and replacements were inserted the line was outright atrocious.

Actually no its not pretty much spot on they did not do their research....spiller ran between the tackles a lot and with success...watch his highlight tapes...this guy is a moron

I like the Spiller pick, but what's the evidence for this claim? Highlight tapes by definition are not representative samples, so you shouldn't refer to them.

The average yardage per run is not reflective of how good our line was at run blocking. There were many games in which we were losing and weren't capable of competently passing the ball. So even when we were behind we ran more than most "normal" teams would do in similar game situations. The defense was more than willing to concede the run and keep the clock running.

Anyone who watched most of the games recognizes that our OL was overmatched. The Bills line was below average with its full complement of starters, and when some injuries occurred and replacements were inserted the line was outright atrocious.

really?...a team that couldn't score ran more???...ohhhhhhhhh see I was thinking that because we ran the ball a hundred or so carries LESS than a successful team, that your argument is flawed....ahhh what do I know...

I like the Spiller pick, but what's the evidence for this claim? Highlight tapes by definition are not representative samples, so you shouldn't refer to them.

You mean videos of him running inside are not proof that he ran inside? Hell, if he has videos of him running on the inside, that should just make it more valuable since inside runs tend to be shorter, so they are less likely to make it on the highlight reel.

Well, I know you have a rule where highlight reels don't count but...

In that florida state game in the middle of the video, he ran inside 4-5 times, and that is just the highlights. So I assume there are a lot more runs on the inside for smaller yardage, but it is hard to prove without having the entire game at hand.

So i guess what matters is how much "a lot" is. He is obviously capable of running inside, since any highlight reel has him doing it at least once in each game pretty much. I thought it was the general word of mouth that running on the inside has always been his weakness, but he silenced his critics his senior year when he proved he could run on the inside, but still had a lot to improve on to be a true inside runner.

I mean, the rotoworld guy saying Spillar can't run on the inside when he can score TDs and has plenty of runs on video of running on the inside is just a huge stretch, since he obviously CAN do it. Is he great at it? No. Is he even good at it? Probably not. But he can at least hold his own as an inside runner. it just isn't his strength, and one of his weaknesses. Doesn't mean he can't do it.

Would you like to join my fantasy league?

+1. Nothing beats having a couple of crazy homers to beat up on. Back in maybe 2002-03 or so, a Steelers homer in my league drafted Korbel Stewart in the first round. Spiller in the first round wouldn't be quite as bad, but still pretty bad. When the coach who just drafted the guy says he wants to give him about 15 touches a game, that's a #2 back at best, regardless of the other circumstances.

Para #1 overall assessment of the Bills has some merit. Although I'd still say when you can get a special player like Spiller, you take him and look to address other needs elsewhere.

Para #2 on Spiller is just plain wrong. He's a versatile back that has many runs up the middle. But more importantly, if you can get outside like he can and take it to the house, why in the world would you want to mindlessly bang heads in the middle? That's for plodders like Lynch and McGahee who don't have a choice.

You mean videos of him running inside are not proof that he ran inside? Hell, if he has videos of him running on the inside, that should just make it more valuable since inside runs tend to be shorter, so they are less likely to make it on the highlight reel.

Well, I know you have a rule where highlight reels don't count but...

In that florida state game in the middle of the video, he ran inside 4-5 times, and that is just the highlights. So I assume there are a lot more runs on the inside for smaller yardage, but it is hard to prove without having the entire game at hand.

So i guess what matters is how much "a lot" is. He is obviously capable of running inside, since any highlight reel has him doing it at least once in each game pretty much. I thought it was the general word of mouth that running on the inside has always been his weakness, but he silenced his critics his senior year when he proved he could run on the inside, but still had a lot to improve on to be a true inside runner.

I mean, the rotoworld guy saying Spillar can't run on the inside when he can score TDs and has plenty of runs on video of running on the inside is just a huge stretch, since he obviously CAN do it. Is he great at it? No. Is he even good at it? Probably not. But he can at least hold his own as an inside runner. it just isn't his strength, and one of his weaknesses. Doesn't mean he can't do it.

I'm not saying he can't run inside. However, I can assure you that there are plenty of great highlights of Reggie Bush running up the gut against the weak sisters of the Pac 10, much like Spiller bursting through the gut against Duke and various other crappy college defenses that don't feature either Vince Wilfork or Kris Jenkins. As I said above, highlight reels from college are by definition unrepresentative. By definition, they only show the most spectucular plays.

His analysis of the situation is spot on. Remember he is looking at everything from a FANTASY perspective. I can't remember the last good fantasy player the Bills have had - Evans a few years ago or Bledsoe?

Nix says Spiller will be used like Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin. Assuming Spiller is as good as those guys on day 1, he can still be a great game changer in REAL football but in FANTASY football he is a #2 or #3 back. Even though he CAN run inside, he won't get many touches doing so early. Its not a slight on Spiller.

Look at TO's fantasy stats last year - he was awful. Buffalo is fantasy siberia. Our QBs and OL suck, the weather hurts fantasy stats and we play boring low scoring football. He couldn't be more correct.

They have their opinion. It happens to be wrong but I seriously envision something a bit different for Spiller. First lets just say his work in the return game will likely make him a very useful weapon. In the running and receiving game the guy gets work done. He will be used like Reggie Bush as a I feel Gailey will see that kind of potential just with more speed. As far as running between the tackles these clowns apparently never watched any tape of him. Most of his highlights are him ending up running on the outside. Some of the runs though started on the inside. I saw another highlight clip that is making it's way around where he does a LOT of running up the middle and does a good job doing it. I think the writer of the article is going on his size and doesn't think he is a between the tackles runner.

really?...a team that couldn't score ran more???...ohhhhhhhhh see I was thinking that because we ran the ball a hundred or so carries LESS than a successful team, that your argument is flawed....ahhh what do I know...

When you have so many three and outs you tend to run the ball less times and pass the ball less times. The basic point you are missing is that our OL was horrendous. How anyone can dispute that point is very surprising. Maybe you didn't watch the games. I did.

Actually on ESPN's coverage at the end of day one of the draft, I believe it was Gruden who said he felt sorry for Spiller because he was drafted by Buffalo, where they he won't be able to reach his potential and use all his abilities. If one person says something, you can say it is personal or lack of knowledge, or whatever you want, but where there is smoke there is usually fire. With everywhere you read saying pretty much the same thing, there is a good chance that there might be some truth to it, all we can do is hope otherwise.

reporters love to hop on eachother's nuts and go with the consensus...

Steven jackson has had what QB? what real o-line?

Jamaal Charles had what qb? what o-line?

SJax has been a beast year in and year out... Charles played out of his skull against ruthless DL's the second he got his chance...

if youre good... youre good.

if youre not, youre not...

only time will tell.

reporters love to hop on eachother's nuts and go with the consensus...

Steven jackson has had what QB? what real o-line?

Jamaal Charles had what qb? what o-line?

SJax has been a beast year in and year out... Charles played out of his skull against ruthless DL's the second he got his chance...

if youre good... youre good.

if youre not, youre not...

only time will tell.

Have you ever tried shoo fly pie?

people who doubt he can run inside need to watch that...also watch this one too, this guy liked to run outside a lot...he turned out to be a pretty good RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoK_KGz1rHU