The Plan

The actions of the new front office/coaching staff lead me to the following conclusions:

1) They don't know what they have with the QBs on the roster, but they're willing to wait to find out. They've seen flashes from Trent Edwards (1st 6 weeks of 2009) but behind the patchwork O Line and changes to OC he regressed badly. Maybe he can be fixed by the new staff. Next year is supposedly a better draft QB class so it makes sense to see what can be done this season and draft next year if necessary

2) To mitigate the QB uncertainty, we'll be a run-first team. Even last year's team could run block well enough so this could be a strength with the addition of Spiller.

3) The biggest Free Agency and draft pick-ups were in the defensive front 7. The switch to the 3-4 will be the determining factor in the success (or lack thereof) for the team in 2010.

We're being molded in the fashion of the Ravens SB winning team.

Defense wins championships.

The more I read about a 3-4 defense, the more I realize that the nose is critical... in retrospect, it should have been pretty obvious that we were going to go for the best available NT very early. And probably means we wanted to trade up for Dan Williams, not the WR.

i agree on all three points.

Run first smash mouth has a lot going for it, and we have three backs who can get yards. The offensive line wasn't all that bad at run blocking (at least in comparison to their pass blocking.) Keeps the other offense of the field and takes pressure off the qb.

The second point is that we don't have a clue whether Edwards is good or not, and probably won't have much until we build an offensive line that can protect him. That doesn't seem to be happening this year. I wouldn't expect much from any of the qb's until that gets fixed.

The third is the 304 scheme which screwed up pretty much our entire personnel package on defense. That was addressed in the draft so I'm optimistic about our defense this year.

We should improve our win loss record this year and set nine wins as the minimum to establish upward momentum in a three yeat push to serious superbowl contention.

We should improve our win loss record this year and set nine wins as the minimum to establish upward momentum in a three yeat push to serious superbowl contention.

You will, IMO, set yourself up for disappointment. I can't see setting the bar at an above .500 mark when we are in serious transition. That's not pessimistic so much as realistic. I am on board with the new boss but think the process will be slow at first.

To me, how many wins next year isn't important so much as implentation. Let's find out who belongs where on the field, particularly defensively since this is clearly the new regime's primary focus this offseason. Another draft focused on the offensive side and implementing CG's scheme would seem to be the next step.

3rd year we put it together and put the pedal down. That's how I see it, anyway. I'm cool with this, if true.

To me, how many wins next year isn't important so much as implentation. Let's find out who belongs where on the field, particularly defensively since this is clearly the new regime's primary focus this offseason.

Agreed. Wins would be nice, but I think a lot of fans would be happy with clear signs of progress. (Although the tricky part is building on that progress.)

You will, IMO, set yourself up for disappointment. I can't see setting the bar at an above .500 mark when we are in serious transition. That's not pessimistic so much as realistic. I am on board with the new boss but think the process will be slow at first.

To me, how many wins next year isn't important so much as implentation. Let's find out who belongs where on the field, particularly defensively since this is clearly the new regime's primary focus this offseason. Another draft focused on the offensive side and implementing CG's scheme would seem to be the next step.

3rd year we put it together and put the pedal down. That's how I see it, anyway. I'm cool with this, if true.

agreed completely on all accounts :P

i agree on all three points.

Run first smash mouth has a lot going for it, and we have three backs who can get yards. The offensive line wasn't all that bad at run blocking (at least in comparison to their pass blocking.) Keeps the other offense of the field and takes pressure off the qb.

The second point is that we don't have a clue whether Edwards is good or not, and probably won't have much until we build an offensive line that can protect him. That doesn't seem to be happening this year. I wouldn't expect much from any of the qb's until that gets fixed.

The third is the 304 scheme which screwed up pretty much our entire personnel package on defense. That was addressed in the draft so I'm optimistic about our defense this year.

The 3-4 is so in vogue now that only a handful of teams run the 4-3. Pass rush from the 3-4 is highly dependant on LB pressure/blitz. I mention this, because I'm more optimistic about our OL in it's currnet condition than many posters here and I'm not a rose-colored glasses kinda guy. Scrapping the OC just before the season opener with 3 new OL, including 2 rooks, was as detrimental as the injuries that followed. This past weekend, I watched the opener (@ NE) and wk.2 vs. TB again. Not a single negative issue -pass or run- could be attributed to the OL. Then Butler fell -for the last time- and the shuffling began which didn't end til the season did. Most of our opponents ran the 3-4 against us and no-one could figure out where the pressure would come from on any given down, let alone shuffling linemen around in unfamiliar positions every week. The results were inevitable. But, to me, it isn't because our OL players 'suck'. Last years 'wing it' system sucked.

This years' brand new offense will practice every day against a 3-4 defense. Something it rarely did in recent years. They (the O) will look to hone their craft against the defensive set they will see most every week and for sure against all Division foes. This, IMO, is worthy of optimism.

Hang, Levitre & Wood all return with experience and a likely chip on their shoulder. Green & Bell have experience and the Regime selected new linemen in their mold. No one can predict crippling injuries and no one could have foreseen Buffalo's affliction with them. That's been addressed as well.

We're overdue for a healthy season. With it, we will be markedly improved on offense.

The actions of the new front office/coaching staff lead me to the following conclusions:

1) They don't know what they have with the QBs on the roster, but they're willing to wait to find out. They've seen flashes from Trent Edwards (1st 6 weeks of 2009) but behind the patchwork O Line and changes to OC he regressed badly. Maybe he can be fixed by the new staff. Next year is supposedly a better draft QB class so it makes sense to see what can be done this season and draft next year if necessary

2) To mitigate the QB uncertainty, we'll be a run-first team. Even last year's team could run block well enough so this could be a strength with the addition of Spiller.

3) The biggest Free Agency and draft pick-ups were in the defensive front 7. The switch to the 3-4 will be the determining factor in the success (or lack thereof) for the team in 2010.

If we can stop the run and run the ball, we only need a game manager.....What is wrong with this philosophy.....Finally, we will have a team that believes in its identity and stop the crap about a no-huddle offense when you did not have the personnel or philosophy to run......What bother me was that with the defense we had, we actually were in no position to run a no-huddle and yet we ran it and tired the heck out of our DL.

Your third point is probably the chief reason for bypassing QB this year. There will be plenty of growing pains in the 3-4 switch, so the Bills may as well call this a 'red shirt' year and look to 2011's supposedly better draft class for a franchise QB.

Not sure about the Ravens comparison until I see how physical the front 7 defensive line up is going to be. Not enough thumppers on the roster as of yet, IMO.

Who are the starting LT and RT?

LT is Bell's to lose. By now, we should all know that Buddy Nix is open and honest. He's said right along that the FO is comfortable with Bell. Would he like to have a HOFer? Sure. But again, like he said, there were other positions of greater need THIS YEAR.

Bell's got 8 starts under his belt. Is that enough to decide he stinks? I don't think so.

well enough to do what? go 3 and out?

I don't think there is any sort of grand strategy like this. The fact that they didn't take Clausen or some other QB earlier in the draft is more the result of the simple fact that you can only fill so many holes in one draft. We are switching to a 3-4 so there really was no choice but to invest in personnel capable of making a 3-4 work. A NT is vital in the 3-4 and before last week, we didn't have a single one on the roster so no surprise there. Our DE's consist of guys who suck or are retiring or are not suited for the 3-4. The 3-4 requires 4 LB's and you need some extras incase someone goes down. Arguably, we have only 2 LBs that would start anywhere else so it isn't exactly a shock that we spent some picks at DE/LB. We lost a starting WR and a slot man so it shouldn't be a surprise that we took a WR. At some point unfortunately, you run out of picks. We need a QB and some OL help and we did take some late rounders there, hoping to get lucky.

I don't see some grand master plan at work here nor would I conclude that what they did says much of anything about what they think of our QB's. As for "molding" us in the image of the Ravens, I don't buy that either. The Ravens had one of the best defenses in the history of the league and they had a crappy QB. That combination has won one championship. Well rounded teams with good defenses and highly productive offenses have won a lot of championships. Cowboys with Aikman, the 49'ers with both Young and Montana, etc., etc. I don't think they are any happier than we are with having to go with Trent, Fitz and Brohm. I'll bet that Levi will get on the field sooner rather than later if he can show at least some competence despite being a 7th round rookie.

Run first? Sure we are but so is just about every team in the league. I could just as easily conclude from this evidence that they are planning to run a spread, just what Levi Brown ran at Troy. Spiller would be an ideal back in a spread. Gailey has used the spread in the past. I think they could get a lot of mismatches with Spiller lining up in the backfield and then motioning up to the line in the slot or as a WR on the edge.

I don't think they have some fiendishly clever scheme driving their decisions. Kind of simple really but I think in the long run they are making the right moves....unless Clausen ends up being the real deal when we passed on him, twice. Assuming they are right about him, they probably had a pretty good draft.

Jay, another solid post.

You forget to bring up what most people over look when snapping to judgement about how much doom and gloom we are in with such a disaster of a roster. Our team has been shaken, stirred, mixed and revamped every year. A new coordinator or head coach for the last 5-6 years. We have the Nix plan, let him plan the work and work the plan, we all need to see how things will look this year! I am hoping Gailey does not get too complex on the offense. Chances are, looking at our history, if he is only here 3 years, I would like to know who can do what!

I would have to agree with you sir. And I'll add to the points you made.

1. Not to make excuses but playing for Dick Jauron, not to mention two first first time OCs is not an ideal situation. The OL hasn't done a good job of keeping Trent vertical. He's taken some hard shots back there. Gailey is supposed to be the best offensive mind we've had around here in a long time and he has a reputation for getting solid production from his QBs. This bodes well for us. This year's QB class was quite weak and this was proven by how few QBs were drafted and what rounds they went in.

2. A run first time is always a good idea. You run to set up the pass. You run to keep defenses honest. You run to grind and wear down defenses. You run to eat clock. You run to get 1st downs. You run in goal line situations. You run to rest your defense and keep them fresh. If this line can run block effectively, we will pound teams all year long. We have a scary three headed monster in that backfield and they all bring something to the table.

3. You could tell Buffalo was fully committed to strengthening the front seven, especially the DL. You only have so many draft picks and can address only so many needs. I credit Nix for knowing how important it is to have quality players in the trenches. He identified the D line as a weakness and the secondary as a strength. The reason why we had a poor run defense was because of a poor D line. Not to mention we're transitioning to a new defensive scheme. We go bigger and stronger on the D line and I love it.

So while QB and LT went unaddressed, it was fairly obvious to see that while certainly a deep draft class, it was rather weak at QB and LT. And if these two positions are still needs next year, you can rest assured they will be addressed early on.

This is only the start of a rebuilding effort. Year one of a new regime and it's off to a good start IMO. We have the makings of a team that can run and stop the run. That's a recipe for success. There's still much work to be done and pieces to be added, but one thing at a time and we're moving in the right direction. We're getting better, not worse.

well enough to do what? go 3 and out?

Exactly. Some don't seem to understand the difference between running just to say you ran and running well.

In my view, almost no team in the league is so strong at doing one thing offensively that they can succeed being one dimensional. If all you can do is run, you are in trouble. Even a crappy defense is going to stop you if they don't have to worry about your passing game enough to play you honest.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Spiller pick signals more that we are opening up the offense rather than that we are going to a "smash mouth" run, run, run, punt, run, run, FG, run, run, run punt offense. Spiller would be perfect for a spread offense. I wouldn't want to have to cover him out of the backfield with LB or SS. That would be a recipe for disaster.

They are talking about being exciting, about not being dull. They have a coach who is very familiar with the spread. They picked a RB with WR speed and hands who is a TD machine. They drafted a QB who played in a spread. They drafted a WR who thrived in a spread at UConn.

Smash mouth? I wouldn't count on it.