LGB

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's walk down memory lane

Buffalo Bills: GRADE: B

The Bills had no choice but to go after Marshawn Lynch with the loss of Willis McGahee. Paul Posluszny could be a middle linebacker or OLB, making up for the loss of London Fletcher. Running back Dwayne Wright was a very good fourth-round pick if he can stay healthy. Down the road, Trent Edwards could give J.P. Losman some competition. And if Edwards develops in two or three years, the Bills could trade him, similar to what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub. John Wendling is a very athletic safety and was a good sixth-round pick. Derek Schouman is a pass-catching tight end with limited blocking skills.

Some other notables

Carolina Panthers: GRADE: B

I'm not enamored with linebacker Jon Beason, but he has the ability to be a team leader because he has a great attitude. I do like the fact that Carolina traded down to get Beason even though the Panthers were very high on him.

Miami Dolphins: GRADE: C

Passing on Brady Quinn was ridiculous. Ted Ginn is a good player, will help Miami in the return game and fills a need. Still, they had Quinn staring them in the face, and they weren't going to have to trade up to get him.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE C+

JaMarcus Russell was a no-brainer because he has the chance to be a franchise quarterback. The Raiders have been trying for years to draft a tight end, and they took Zach Miller in the second round.

Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: C-

First, they made a trade with the Cowboys, who used the pick on defensive end Anthony Spencer. Then, the Eagles used the 36th overall pick (their first pick in the draft) on Houston QB Kevin Kolb when QBs Drew Stanton, John Beck and Trent Edwards were all still on the board. I thought Kolb was a reach because he reminds me of Kyle Boller.

St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C+

A very good player and a solid first-round pick, Adam Carriker will be used more as a defensive tackle by the Rams. I really like the pick of Brian Leonard in the second round because he gives St. Louis options on offense.

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: B-

The Packers took a QB on both days of the draft: Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm is cerebral and accurate, but can he stay healthy? Flynn is big, has good arm strength and can run for a first down if he has to.

New York Jets: GRADE: B-

Lining up opposite Calvin Pace, OLB Vernon Gholston has a chance to get a lot of sacks in his rookie season.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE B-

We all know what Darren McFadden can do. I really liked Oakland's second-round pick, Connecticut CB Tyvon Branch.

Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C

Running back Chris Johnson is a good player, but I wasn't expecting him to go to Tennessee, especially because the Titans need a wide receiver. (They should have looked at WR Devin Thomas in the first round.)

Washington Redskins: GRADE: B+

They traded out of the first round and still were able to get three offensive weapons in the second round: wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and tight end Fred Davis.

The irony is that if you were to ask Mel why Clausen fell from his 4th overall rating to 48th overall, he'll say "you need to give him time to prove himself." <_<

That is so true. If he was to draft by his own rankings he would get an F because he would have reached for many of his "guys". Kiper rated us low because we didn't pick guys where he ranked them, his rating means nothing.

Kiper is a joke...he doesn't know SQUAT. If he was so smart he would be on a NFL scouting team. The guy is an ass.

This year he seemed particularly abrasive and defensive. I think the pressure of not being the only "Draft expert," out there is starting to get to him.

The whole grading system seems silly. He's essentially giving teams a grade based on how much they agreed with his assessments.

This year he seemed particularly abrasive and defensive. I think the pressure of not being the only "Draft expert," out there is starting to get to him.

The whole grading system seems silly. He's essentially giving teams a grade based on how much they agreed with his assessments.

I think the fact that Clausen was at the top of his "best available" list for a day and a half got him off on the wrong foot. He was also way off on Everson Griffen, Sergio Kindle, Aaron Hernandez, Navorro Bowman and Bruce Campbell; all rated as first rounders by Kiper.

The guy is a joke.

Kiper is a joke...he doesn't know SQUAT. If he was so smart he would be on a NFL scouting team. The guy is an ass.

You're wrong in one respect.

Mel Kiper probably makes more money than all but a few GMs in the NFL.

He most certainly makes more money than any scout, Director of College Scouting, etc.

He most certainly makes more money than any scout, Director of College Scouting, etc.

Yeah, people need to realize that Mel Kiper basically does the work of a regular scout or maybe head of scouting, but with an extra digit on his salary. The only reason for someone like that to try to get a job with an NFL team would be to try to work his way up to being an assistant GM in a few years, then being a GM a few years after that.

I think you drastically overrate how much ESPN pays it employees.