Round 2, Pick #41: DT Torell Troup - Central Florida

SDS

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if Troup was a good pick, but I want to remind many people here who have praised John Butler's draft savvy that his parting gift to the Bills was probably the worst draft in the history of the franchise, the 2000 draft. No way can Nix do worse than Eric Flowers and the rest of that year's selections.

Very true. Erik Flowers followed up by Travares Tillman? Yikes. That's really the benchmark for an atrocious draft at this point. At the time, both of those picks were very questionable, but most of us gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt because of their then-strong track record as a front office. Since then, the track record has done a complete 180, hence the current skepticism.

But yeah, there's basically no way to match the incompetence of that draft. I definitely buy the hypothesis that Butler knew he was out the door and purposefully tanked the draft so as not to load up a future competitor.

What people are missing is that NT is as big a need as OT. They needed both; if this guy can fill that role, it's a good pick.

But it's the typical 'wow, way too early' reaction that any Bills fan should be used to seeing by now. Let's hope this one works out.

Exactly, given the choice between the two they took the highest rated player on their board. JMO

I don't know anything about the guy, and I don't claim to be a 3-4 DEF expert, but Troup looks like a big, solid guy who eats space in the middle... which is what I think we need. If Cody was great someone else would have taken him by now.

:D

As I write this 52 picks have been made and Cody has yet to come off the board.

With Troupe and Williams alternating at NT, what position does Stroud play?

DE

I think he's always been slated for DE, rotating with Spencer Johnson, and Dwan Edwards.

What he said.

Bingo!

I thought Clausen would be a great pick at that point. But if the FO doesn't like the guy, there isn't much point in picking him.

The kid must be a real dick in order for him to fall this far. JMO

If a pure nose tackle was so necessary in the 2nd, then why not Linval Joseph? He's bigger, stronger and seems to be better in penetration as well. Went to the Giants a few picks later. I'm just not a fan of Troup. There is a reason why 9 out of 10 had him going in the 3rd.

Very true. Erik Flowers followed up by Travares Tillman? Yikes. That's really the benchmark for an atrocious draft at this point. At the time, both of those picks were very questionable, but most of us gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt because of their then-strong track record as a front office. Since then, the track record has done a complete 180, hence the current skepticism.

But yeah, there's basically no way to match the incompetence of that draft. I definitely buy the hypothesis that Butler knew he was out the door and purposefully tanked the draft so as not to load up a future competitor.

Still, the 2000 draft as a whole had very little high-value talent in retrospect. That's the way it goes some years.

If a pure nose tackle was so necessary in the 2nd, then why not Linval Joseph? He's bigger, stronger and seems to be better in penetration as well. Went to the Giants a few picks later. I'm just not a fan of Troup. There is a reason why 9 out of 10 had him going in the 3rd.

Troup needs to be better than Joseph, Cody, Cam Thomas, Charles Brown, and Jimmy Clausen to for it to be a great pick. He just needs to beat out the first 3 for it to be a good/decent pick.

From 3-12-2010 CBS TOP RATED NFL DRAFT SCOUT DEFENSIVE TACKLES: Torrell Troup: Central Florida, 6-3, 310, 3: Extremely hardworking, dedicated huge player whose focus on becoming a pro became apparent when he shed 30 pounds heading into his senior season and was rewarded with more stamina. His strength at the point of attack indicates he is a potential nose tackle candidate. A two-time All-Conference USA pick, he started 39 of his 47 career games and finished with 105 tackles, 24 for a loss. He changed his last name from Johnson to Troup for his last two seasons at UCF to honor the re-emergence of his father into his family's life. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com/CBS Sports/USA TODAY

I like this guy! :D

*seems* better? I'm all for draft speculation, it's fun, but seriously. None of us do this for a living and ESPN isn't exactly a good source.

Apparently because Joseph hit all three flags:

1. Injury issues,

2. Laziness off/on field

3. Weight issues...see #2

Sorry, but I am not big on only looking at measurables, especially when it comes to the wide bodies. Something has to haul their giant asses out of bed each day, and it has to be love of football, not of twinkies. Same argument goes for Cody.

This guy has been called a "leader" more than enough times, where the others haven't been called that once.

This is a good pick. Period.

Now as to whether we could have traded down: it's the same thing every year, there has to be a partner, and, they can't be so low that we risk losing the guy we want. If you don't get both, you don't do the deal.....you stay and take your 1st choice, not somebody else's 2nd choice.

the thing is, NOBODY ASKED YOU!

fans are great...Hey EastRochBillsfan, did this guy park on your front lawn by accident during Bills training camp or something? He wanted a OT...and one is probably coming...it just happened that Troup was higher on the Bill's draft board...no cause for gauze...

The BILLS finally pick a fat guy. A captain. A guy who was regularly doubled.

Not good enough because the mocks say his value is lower. How's JC's value? Bulaga's? Williams'? McCoy's?

34 NTs are NOT a dime a dozen.

Agreed

I like the pick, sort of. I think he's a good player and better than Cody, but my three primary concerns going into this season are:

1) QB

2) Pass rush with Schobel retiring

3) Offensive Tackle

... and so far we haven't addressed any of them.