Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Here's the skinny.

This is a huge red flag that the new front office will be just the same as the old. This is a franchise that is treding water. They're run by old football men who don't seem to grasp the concept that the game has changed from a ground based attack to complex, passing schemes where QBs rule.

Spiller may be a stud. But he's a RB meaning he's got a short shelf life (8 years tops). This is a team, with huge holes at QB, OL, DL, LB, and WR (and already TWO RBs ON THE ROSTER) and a brand new offensive and defensive system being installed. That means that it's going to take 2 to 3 years for this team to gel. Add another 2 to 3 years for the QB to be found and groomed ... that means the Bills are going to be contending for a playoff birth in 5 years. When Spiller will be fast approaching the end of his best years.

Awesome work.

Exactly

Lynch better be Traded...That's all I can say...This Team, at this point, taking a RB...No matter how good he is...It's confusing to say the least...The funny thing is if this had been a Levy/Jauron Pick I would not be surprised at all...I know The Bills need to score, but Blocking has a hell of a lot to do with that...I heard them on NFLN...Spiller can Score without blocking...Whatever...I just don't get it...I'm going to hope for the best as usual...But I just don't get this Organization any longer...They are a complete mystery to me now...The Bills have Picked in the 1st Round and they still need an OT, they still need a NT, they still need a QB...

Then a couple Picks later The Broncos Trade Down, then Miami Trades down...The Bills should be Trading Down to get extra Picks...I don't know...

Nevermind... :w00t:

There was no "reaching" necessary. The Bills could have selected OT, DT, DE or QB and not "reached" given the talent on the board. The Bills just used their first round pick at once of the few spots that didn't need to be addressed - at least not that early. Fred Jackson might have been the best player on the team last year and they draft a top 10 guy to replace him.

Let's tread some more water - been doing it for 10 years now, I guess a few more years won't matter much.

Shhh. People don't want to hear the truth. Stop being logical.

Terrible Pick!

Nix is no better than Marv

There is no need for a RB: Jackson and Lynch are good enough and running backs are a dime a dozen and have short lifespans.

Plus, there is no O-Line for him to run behind. Should have gone OLine or Dline

Does anybody expect anything different. We could have traded down!

I give up on this team - at least when they move to LA I can get take over my dad's season tix!

Lynch sucks, and has off field issues. Jackson is okay, but would be better as a backup.

This is the NEW and better front office. Although he wasn't a position of need right now, he was the best and MOST IMPACT player left in the draft. Once cannot complain that they reached with this pick. Now picking Anthony Davis right there...that was reaching.

The Bills have reached for so many players over the last few years. Now we have someone that can make an impact THIS YEAR! They'll figure out what to do with Marshawn or Jackson. But Spiller is a stud now. Not later.

we all were drooling over the prospect of gruden as potential head coach and gruden feels spiller is the most talented player in the draft....i defer to his opinion.....build the line in later rounds...everyone had questions over the OT's left on the board...glad we didnt reach for a questionable talent and went with what many consider a sure fire hit

Excelent post.

it wasn't the main problem but it was ONE of the problems........no breakaway threat once a back got into the open

Spiller is a WEAPON

A SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL WEAPON.

Small. Like we needed to get smaller. SMALL. TINY. With no OL. He'd going to DIE against the defenses in the AFC East. It's a fool's pick by our 90-year old owner and 70- year old GM.

What I think many, many people are missing is that this is a team DEVOID of playmakers and has been for years. This kid looks like a playmaker who very well may not need any holes as he runs by everyone so fast.

Thanks, SDS - he is a playmaker, which the Bills don't have.

I guess the draft is over because all the doom and gloomers have said so. We shouldn't even make another pick, what's the point right sobbers? :thumbsup:

It is was it is, why don't we just let the rest of the draft play out before we claim the end of the world. Geez, not that I'm surprised though...

What I think many, many people are missing is that this is a team DEVOID of playmakers and has been for years. This kid looks like a playmaker who very well may not need any holes as he runs by everyone so fast.

Read that out loud and see if it makes sense. Have you EVER seen a RB other than Barry Sanders who didn't need an OL?

That is so wrong. You know what Levy and Jauron did MOST wrong? They drafted for need and they reached in the process. They drafted to fill holes. You know what good teams do? Not that. The Bills have 0 playmakers. Absolutely 0 playmakers. They have no break away threats. No players opposing teams plan for. Jesus.

This is the best they could have done.

+1.

BillsVet is off on this one.

why is this a surprise?

typical Bills

keep wasting first round picks on the same small player position.

that's 3 first round and a 2nd round RB this decade

too bad we have nobody to block for him

If you think the Bills pick was bad, look what San Diego just did.