For those of you hoping for T. Cody...

From roto...

Based on forty-yard dash time, Terrence Cody will become the slowest defensive tackle to be drafted in the last 20 years this week.

Cody's 5.66 forty time is rivaled only by former seventh-rounder Corey Swinson (5.62 in 1985), fifth-rounder Tim Roberts (5.51 in 1992), and 2009 Patriots second-round pick Ron Brace (5.51). "This guy doesn't have any first-step quickness," observed a scout of Cody. "He's a big, fat blob," added one NFC personnel man. "He's a big media creation. He cannot move at all."

Not too flatering...this doesnt mean he cant over come this, I mean Tom Brady had one of the worst combines ever in terms of athleticism. However, Cody's position is quite a bit more affected by athleticism, or lack there of. I have not been high on him at all thus far, and this sure didnt do a whole lot to change my mind...

From roto...

Based on forty-yard dash time, Terrence Cody will become the slowest defensive tackle to be drafted in the last 20 years this week.

Cody's 5.66 forty time is rivaled only by former seventh-rounder Corey Swinson (5.62 in 1985), fifth-rounder Tim Roberts (5.51 in 1992), and 2009 Patriots second-round pick Ron Brace (5.51). "This guy doesn't have any first-step quickness," observed a scout of Cody. "He's a big, fat blob," added one NFC personnel man. "He's a big media creation. He cannot move at all."

Not too flatering...this doesnt mean he cant over come this, I mean Tom Brady had one of the worst combines ever in terms of athleticism. However, Cody's position is quite a bit more affected by athleticism, or lack there of. I have not been high on him at all thus far, and this sure didnt do a whole lot to change my mind...

when is the last time youve seen a DT have to sprint 40 yards down the football field in a straight line? i think the ONLY time ive ever seen that was Sam Adams's interception return in the home opener against the Pats*.

football speed and game speed have little to do with 40 times. if he were a WR, CB, or RB, maybe id be worried.

From roto...

Cody is what he is...But what he does well can keep him paid in the NFL for the next 10 years...Especially with all the 3-4 Teams now...If you're a Team like San Diego that is already REAL good...Why not consider Cody in the 1st Round? He's going to come in from Day #1 and plug the middle on 1st and 2nd Down...The guy causes pile-ups...He's not going to chase down many plays...He's not going to get many Sacks...He's got a single dimension...But it's a good one... :rolleyes:

More importantly, how did his 10 and 20 yard splits go?

Exactly.

Also, isn't there a rumor that Cody could actually do a backflip? Or was that a bunch of hogwash?

If his 10 yard split is good, that's all that matters.

I have not seen one prospect come out of the draft since I started following it (think Joel Buschbaum era) where there weren't naysayers and where players weren't over-analyzed to the point where their small flaws became major issues.

Think about it. Is there a single prospect anyone remembers who didn't have his detractors? I can't think of one.

Exactly.

Also, isn't there a rumor that Cody could actually do a backflip? Or was that a bunch of hogwash?

I have not seen one prospect come out of the draft since I started following it (think Joel Buschbaum era) where there weren't naysayers and where players weren't over-analyzed to the point where their small flaws became major issues.

Think about it. Is there a single prospect anyone remembers who didn't have his detractors? I can't think of one.

I dont remember the backflip story, but there was a Youtube video of him dunking a basketball floating around

From roto...

The primary job of a NT is to plug up the middle and stop the run. In addition, by taking on a couple of blockers you are allowing your LBs to go unfettered and be in position to make plays. Terrence Cody clearly fills those roles.

What is the relevance of a forty time for a NT? What is the relevance of a forty time for a qb? What is the relevance of a wonderlic score? What is the relevance of a qb having the strongest arm but can't hit the side of a barn or is incapable of reading defenses and making the necessary adjustments?

Let's get down to basics. Can the player play? Does the player have the desire to work at his craft and do everything he can to improve? Does the player have enough character and morals to keep himsel out of jail or on a league suspension for an idioctic transgression?

Terrence Cody played on a National Championship team which had a stellar defense. He was one of the primary players on that defense. In my opinion Cody is going to be a very impactful player on a team which plays the 3-4 defense. Teams which need a NT and pass on him because of some irrelevant consideration are foolish. He is probably going to go in the upper part of the second round, if not the lower part of the first round.

From roto...

I dont care if he can run 40 yds, i just want him to eat Tom Brady...

He had the 3rd worst 10 yard split time and the worst 20 yard time of any player at the combine, according to CBS Sportsline's site (1.90 and 3.23, respectively). Compare that to Dan Williams at 1.75 and 2.96.

Still, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in it. What were Ted Washington's times at the peak of his NFL career? Probably worse. You're drafting him to occupy a double team and hold the point of attack in the middle of the defense. Can he do that? I think so. All this means is that he might be available a little later in the draft than expected. I don't think it'll be the determining factor for his career.

Actually, this was my biggest concern of them all. Forget dashing any amount of yards. He's got to have a decent first step at least, or he's just going to get pushed around.

Is there a less important stat for DT, especially NT, than 40 time? I beat Leif Larsen had a great 40 time for a DT. If Cody ran a 25.3 40 yard dash I won't care as long as he takes up 2 blockers on every play.

Problem is apparently, that he can't stay on the field and "take(s) up to 2 blockers on every play." He sat out approximately half the plays in college. The guy's a fat slob who I believe will balloon back up to around 400 pounds once he's drafted.

From roto...

He's a run stuffing D-Tackle. He ain't running 40's. That's meaningless. Look at his split times and 3 cone drills. I bet they are pretty decent. And he's quick enough. Watch the tape of the past two seasons.

Problem is apparently, that he can't stay on the field and "take(s) up to 2 blockers on every play." He sat out approximately half the plays in college. The guy's a fat slob who I believe will balloon back up to around 400 pounds once he's drafted.

I'd rather have 1 or 2 downs of completely stuffing the run (which was abit of a problem for us last year) than 3 downs of average play. Alabama gave up 77.9 yards a game (2.8 ypc) rushing last season. Cody was a huge reason for this. You're gonna win a lot of games giving up less than 80 yards a game. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stat...9&sort=1129

he sat out almsot half the plays because of how STACKED Alabama was with Dlineman, and also because most of the time the other team was playing from behind and having to pass the ball. Even Sam Adams and Ted Washington came out in passing situations.

the other good news is that we won't be running a full time 3-4, so he'll have plenty of time to rest.

as for your last statement, and i believe that tomorrow, gold coins will rain down from the sky. tell me i'm wrong.

He's a run stuffing D-Tackle. He ain't running 40's. That's meaningless. Look at his split times and 3 cone drills. I bet they are pretty decent. And he's quick enough. Watch the tape of the past two seasons.

Actually he did horribly in the cone and the 10-yard split. Is google really that tough to use?

Why does he remind me of a defensive Jerry Crafts?? Eh, who am I kidding, I'd totally draft him in the second round.