For those of you hoping for T. Cody...

Actually he did horribly in the cone and the 10-yard split. Is google really that tough to use?

Why does he remind me of a defensive Jerry Crafts?? Eh, who am I kidding, I'd totally draft him in the second round.

The big differnce is an olinemen has to push and move. Cody jsut has to sit there an absorb blockers and free up Poz/ Davis to make plays.

Problem is apparently, that he can't stay on the field and "take(s) up to 2 blockers on every play." He sat out approximately half the plays in college. The guy's a fat slob who I believe will balloon back up to around 400 pounds once he's drafted.

This is not a concern for me. In the NFL, 60% of all plays from scrimmage are passing plays. My instinct differs from yours. I believe his best days are ahead of him as far as weight and discipline. We'll see.

I'd rather have 1 or 2 downs of completely stuffing the run (which was abit of a problem for us last year) than 3 downs of average play. Alabama gave up 77.9 yards a game (2.8 ypc) rushing last season. Cody was a huge reason for this. You're gonna win a lot of games giving up less than 80 yards a game. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stat...9&sort=1129

I do have to say that I am concerned about his mediocre initial quickness (which I just found out about, via this thread). At the Pro level, these guys fire off the ball and with their explosion, and pad level, once they get the defender going in a direction, it's all over for that play.

I don't care how much anyone weighs, all these guys are strong enough to capitalize on the initial advantage once they seize it. All these O-linemen can pull/push a truck. If Cody's going to get consistently beaten to the punch, that is a concern, in my book.

Still he was a monster in college. I don't really know what the outcome of this is going to be but it sure will be interesting.

The big differnce is an olinemen has to push and move. Cody jsut has to sit there an absorb blockers and free up Poz/ Davis to make plays.

Now come on, that's not true. You don't just "absorb" blockers by being big, you have to actually be a threat to make a play. Wilfork isn't elite because he's just big - the man can move for his size and he's incredibly strong. You don't have to be a sprinter, but you have to have some quickness.

Problem is apparently, that he can't stay on the field and "take(s) up to 2 blockers on every play." He sat out approximately half the plays in college. The guy's a fat slob who I believe will balloon back up to around 400 pounds once he's drafted.

Most NTs take their fair share of plays over on the bench in the NFL. Regardless of who they draft, I think you can expect that player will be on the bench for close to half the plays, both for rest and because the team is in an obvious passing situation.

This is not a concern for me. In the NFL, 60% of all plays from scrimmage are passing plays. My instinct differs from yours. I believe his best days are ahead of him as far as weight and discipline. We'll see.

I do have to say that I am concerned about his mediocre initial quickness (which I just found out about, via this thread). At the Pro level, these guys fire off the ball and with their explosion, and pad level, once they get the defender going in a direction, it's all over for that play.

I don't care how much anyone weighs, all these guys are strong enough to capitalize on the initial advantage once they seize it. All these O-linemen can pull/push a truck. If Cody's going to get consistently beaten to the punch, that is a concern, in my book.

Still he was a monster in college. I don't really know what the outcome of this is going to be but it sure will be interesting.

Fair points. But Cody was still playing in the best conference in college football. The SEC is as close as to the pros as college gets.

The problem with the offseason is it gives people time to overthink. Cody dominated on the best defense in the country on a national championship team. Obviously, his weight is a concern but you add a weight clause. I jsut know the guy can play and make about as big (pun intended) of an impact on our defense as anyone in this draft.

Cody could easily make this a top 10 defense. I truly believe that. And you can win games with a top 10 defense.

You guys miss the key point of the post I originally put up from roto world where they referenced him as a big fat blob who cant move and then went on to reference him as a media creation.

Of course 40 times are not the most important part for a NT, however, he scored poorly in almost every category in regards to movement and quickness and that could be a problem at the next level.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I read this report on him...if he cant move well or get off the ball quickly then thats going to be an issue at the next level in my opinnion.

When you factor in how many DT's become busts at the next level, this report isnt really reassuring of his potential. Not to mention his questionable motivation given the poor shape he keeps himself in...

From roto...

Based on forty-yard dash time, Terrence Cody will become the slowest defensive tackle to be drafted in the last 20 years this week.

Cody's 5.66 forty time is rivaled only by former seventh-rounder Corey Swinson (5.62 in 1985), fifth-rounder Tim Roberts (5.51 in 1992), and 2009 Patriots second-round pick Ron Brace (5.51). "This guy doesn't have any first-step quickness," observed a scout of Cody. "He's a big, fat blob," added one NFC personnel man. "He's a big media creation. He cannot move at all."

Not too flatering...this doesnt mean he cant over come this, I mean Tom Brady had one of the worst combines ever in terms of athleticism. However, Cody's position is quite a bit more affected by athleticism, or lack there of. I have not been high on him at all thus far, and this sure didnt do a whole lot to change my mind...

We just need him for 1st or second down. Kyle Williams would be in on passing situations.

The reasons I like Cody has nothing to do with Combine stuff...there are two major reasons I think this kid Cody will be GREAT for a 3-4 club like the Bills...

One: is the stats...he has NEVER not in ANY game he has played in allowed a 100 yard rusher...I don't think we stopped any RB's from going over a hundred this year lol

Two: Game film...the kid pushes the pocket and eats two and three blockers every play...that frees up his playmakers...ask Rolando McClain, who has under average speed but was SUPER productive, which is easy when you have no blockers to stop you from making the tackle...

He is the second coming of Ted Washington...he will earn his money on 1st and 2nd down...I would still rather have Linval Joseph at NT...he'd only have to gain ten or fifteen pounds...that should be easy for a 325 pounder...

From roto...

Based on forty-yard dash time, Terrence Cody will become the slowest defensive tackle to be drafted in the last 20 years this week.

Cody's 5.66 forty time is rivaled only by former seventh-rounder Corey Swinson (5.62 in 1985), fifth-rounder Tim Roberts (5.51 in 1992), and 2009 Patriots second-round pick Ron Brace (5.51). "This guy doesn't have any first-step quickness," observed a scout of Cody. "He's a big, fat blob," added one NFC personnel man. "He's a big media creation. He cannot move at all."

Not too flatering...this doesnt mean he cant over come this, I mean Tom Brady had one of the worst combines ever in terms of athleticism. However, Cody's position is quite a bit more affected by athleticism, or lack there of. I have not been high on him at all thus far, and this sure didnt do a whole lot to change my mind...

I'd have to completely disagree with your notion its more important to be athletic at the NT position than at Quarterback.

I'd have to completely disagree with your notion its more important to be athletic at the NT position than at Quarterback.

Let me elaborate more clearly on what I meant...

A QB doesnt have to be fast or even nimble to be mobile in the pocket (See Kurt Warner, Brady, Montanna, etc, etc). For example, Brady had literally one of the worst combines (some say the worst) in terms of athleticism in the history of the combine. However, Brady is considered one of the most mobile pocket passers in the NFL, in fact Ron Jaworski did a whole piece about this on Brady for ESPN. The reason is because of Bradys instincts, pocket preseence, and his footwork in the pocket allow him to side step the pressure and step up and make the throws.

A NT on the other hand needs to be able to get out his stance fast, he needs to be able to shed blocks, shuffle around the line, beat the OL to the point of engadgement, etc. Their effectiveness has a lot to do with strength and athleticism where a QB can be good and even Elite if he is intelligent, has good touch on the ball, accurate, etc. In other words, its much tougher IMHO for a NT to over come these short comings than say a QB who can make up for a lack of athleticism with a number other intangibles...