Troy could still be traded.

"The last we'd heard on Troy Smith, there were possibly five teams that would make logical sense as trade suitors. The Baltimore Ravens backup QB was tendered at the original round level as an RFA, which for him equated to a fifth-round echelon. Smith switched agents earlier this offseason, and the latest update is that he's finally signed his RFA tender per Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.

Of the teams originally cited as logical destinations, just three remain as viable options: the Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders (if they don't land a slightly bigger target) and Carolina Panthers. Smith had previously stated that he wanted to play for the Cleveland Browns, but it appears after their acquisition of Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace -- not to mention their likely drafting of a QB -- that Cleveland is not likely.

It's still unclear what type of return Smith would provide, but with only six draft picks total this year, the Ravens would likely listen to any legitimate offers."

*From ESPN's rumors.

I wouldn't mind if we gave up a fifth for him.

Don't waste a pick on a qb from this year's weak class, fill all our other needs.

Wait till next year to get Mallet or Locker (Give up picks to get there in the draft).

Git 'er done Buddy! DUDE WON THE HEISMAN! There's no shame in not unseating Joe Flacco.

What the hell is up with all of the "Git er done" **** on this board.. Because someone is from the South does not make them less then intelligent. This is a slang that is over used and ill appropriate.. You most love the Blue Collar Guys, come on all can we show a little more class.. I know I hate it when people make fun of this region.

id rather not be trading for a BACKUP that couldnt win his job from a rookie.

He did win the job. Troy Smith was hit with a freak rare form of tonsillitis during preseason and Flacco filled in while troy was out having lost 30 pounds or so reportedly. By the time Smith was healthy and ready to go, Flacco was the rookie sensation and Baltimore kept rolling with it. Also I believe new coach new QB came into play here as well.

What the hell is up with all of the "Git er done" **** on this board.. Because someone is from the South does not make them less then intelligent. This is a slang that is over used and ill appropriate.. You most love the Blue Collar Guys, come on all can we show a little more class.. I know I hate it when people make fun of this region.

I don't think they are making fun of the south. They have been saying this on the board before buddy nix. I think they are quoting "The Cable Guy".

I loved Smiths game when he was at tOSU and think he would be a good addition if the price is a 5th. But nobody should look at him as "the answer" at QB. He should be brought in with a promise that he will be given an honest shot at the starting job and thrown into the mix of competition.

I don't think they are making fun of the south. They have been saying this on the board before buddy nix. I think they are quoting "The Cable Guy".

I wasn't making fun of the south, I just think "get er done..." has a better ring than, "Please, Mr. Nix, would you please do what you can to add Troy Smith to our beloved Bills?"

and yeah I guess the Cable Guy popularized the phrase, but it's a pretty common colloquialism that is used in all varities now- not just when talking to a southerner http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=git+er+done

i don't remember anyone complaining about the countless, "git er done, ralph" or "git er done, russ" etc. that have been all over the board the past couple of years

even tho buddy has "never claimed to be the smartest guy in the room," i happen to think he's pretty intelligent regarding football

ok, "couldnt win it back". in a league where you usually dont lose your job to injury, this guy lost it to a rookie.

And what a rookie it was. With a new coach and administration it's tough for a 5th round pick to win his job back from a 1st round, 18th overall, pick at QB.

youre not at all familiar with Larry the Cable Guy and his catchphrase? this has been used on the board for at least a few years now. has nothing to do with the south. at all.

ok, "couldnt win it back". in a league where you usually dont lose your job to injury, this guy lost it to a rookie.

a rookie qb who was playing well...thats not too common in this league either.

who in their right mind, who doesn't have an established quaterback would bench a rookie qb playing well?

troy smith was just unfortunate. he didn't do anything to lose it but get sick.

I'm from NY and use that term all the time. What makes you think anyone is using it to belittle anyone. Get a clue.

+1
well he actually probably would have been the starter over Flacco, but came down with some sickness where he loss a bunch of weight and was out for like 6wks. The guys not a bad QB and is mobile. For only a 5th rounder its well worth it

if Troy is healthy i think this is our best option, if not stay with who we have, address our other needs and acquire our "franchise qb" in next year's draft. i personally don't think Nix and crew are interested in drafting a qb this year anyway, i never got that feeling from them and i think it is appropriate. this class just isn't deep enough. i would like to see what Gailey, Modkins and Cortez can do with whoever steps up by season kickoff.

i agree wholeheartedly with the ESPN rumors quote.

wow, strap the girdle on a little tight today?

The FO could be waiting and see what happens in the first two rounds of the draft before spending the pick, assuming they are still interested in Troy Smith. You know, see if they get a franchise QB first, and if not then they can trade with Baltimore. If he gets traded before then, no great loss...

I think this is absolutely the case. I think that this been one of the likely scenarios all along that the Bills plan is NOT get a QB at #9. I would imagine they are going to sit tight, wait to see if Tebow or McCoy are available in the 2nd. If neither of those guys is there when they would look you go out and get Jason Campbell or Troy Smith Friday night before rounds 4 - 7 on Saturday.

if Troy is healthy i think this is our best option, if not stay with who we have, address our other needs and acquire our "franchise qb" in next year's draft. i personally don't think Nix and crew are interested in drafting a qb this year anyway, i never got that feeling from them and i think it is appropriate. this class just isn't deep enough. i would like to see what Gailey, Modkins and Cortez can do with whoever steps up by season kickoff.

i agree wholeheartedly with the ESPN rumors quote.

Troy Smith is our best option? What has he done in the NFL to make someone want this guy as a starter. I'd rather any of the three on our roster start, not to mention Bulger who is a free agent, or Jason Campbell who is likely available via trade.

Troy Smith is our best option? What has he done in the NFL to make someone want this guy as a starter. I'd rather any of the three on our roster start, not to mention Bulger who is a free agent, or Jason Campbell who is likely available via trade.

Bulger and Campbell never should have been starters but they were.

Smith played to same level of Joe Flacco when they competed against each other.

He won a Heisman.

Yes he would be a gamble just like Whitehurst with the Seahawks but for a 5th I would take a chance.

There is clearly an upside here.

What did Warner do until he got an opportunity.

What did Shaub do until he got an opportunity.

These guys sat on the bench for years.

Bulger and Campbell never should have been starters but they were.

Smith played to same level of Joe Flacco when they competed against each other.

He won a Heisman.

Yes he would be a gamble just like Whitehurst with the Seahawks but for a 5th I would take a chance.

There is clearly an upside here.

What did Warner do until he got an opportunity.

What did Shaub do until he got an opportunity.

These guys sat on the bench for years.

He won a Heisman in NCAA, which means nothing in the NFL. I wouldn't waste any draft picks on Troy Smith. He's too small, and hasn't shown any reason to give him a chance.

He actually was the starter until he got whatever illness took him out for several weeks that off-season that Flacco was drafted.

he was very very sick, lost a lot of weight and Flacco just came in and did the job. Brohm pretty much in the same boat.. someone else came in and looked great and that was that... Between and Smith and Brohm, you have two of the best QB prospects in the past couple years.. the guys just never got a shot.

id rather not be trading for a BACKUP that couldnt win his job from a rookie.

He did win the job in training camp but then got sick and couldn't play for weeks. By then Flacco had emerged as a viable starter. A fifth for Troy Smith and using the rest of the draft on lineman, LB's, and a WR or two would be just fine with me.