LOL!!! HAHAHA!! Hey Schobel!

My feeling is that Schobel has already informed them he plans on retiring. The Bills are waiting to announce it until a few days after the draft so that it will barely make headlines.

I do not think the motivation for the Bills is the impact of the headlines on the Bills fans (the last decade makes it pretty clear to most fans that Schobel's performance is not a make or break issue for the Bills ultimate W/L performance and not only do I think most fans do not care whether he retires or not, the bottomline is that clearly Mr. Ralph does not care a great deal about what the fans might think).

My guess is that the Bills braintrust and Schobel already know whether he is gonna retire or not (probably retire is my guess) but either way, the ? about the Bills DE and/or OLB need strengthen the Nix/Gailey's hand when it comes to opponents trying to figure out the Bills likely draft needs or trade negotiation wants.

Thinking that the boys in charge of the Bills are primarily motivated by the media or fan reaction seems a bit naive to me. It is a factor but seems to be a pretty small one.

I do not think the motivation for the Bills is the impact of the headlines on the Bills fans (the last decade makes it pretty clear to most fans that Schobel's performance is not a make or break issue for the Bills ultimate W/L performance and not only do I think most fans do not care whether he retires or not, the bottomline is that clearly Mr. Ralph does not care a great deal about what the fans might think).

My guess is that the Bills braintrust and Schobel already know whether he is gonna retire or not (probably retire is my guess) but either way, the ? about the Bills DE and/or OLB need strengthen the Nix/Gailey's hand when it comes to opponents trying to figure out the Bills likely draft needs or trade negotiation wants.

Thinking that the boys in charge of the Bills are primarily motivated by the media or fan reaction seems a bit naive to me. It is a factor but seems to be a pretty small one.

That all makes sense, and I think with most organizations you're right, but you forgot one key factor: Russ Brandon, the master PR man. Do you think T.O. was a quality football pickup, or a sh*t we need to sell more tickets move. This team know how to overhype news (T.O. signing) and downplay bad news (Schobel retirement) and I think there's quite a bit of decision making that goes into when news like that is released.

You do make a valid point about keeping their draft interests more wide open with teams not knowing the Schobel resolution yet.

That all makes sense, and I think with most organizations you're right, but you forgot one key factor: Russ Brandon, the master PR man. Do you think T.O. was a quality football pickup, or a sh*t we need to sell more tickets move. This team know how to overhype news (T.O. signing) and downplay bad news (Schobel retirement) and I think there's quite a bit of decision making that goes into when news like that is released.

You do make a valid point about keeping their draft interests more wide open with teams not knowing the Schobel resolution yet.

Do you see the decision about a Schobel retirement having anywhere near the impact on ticket sales, media chatter, or national press attention that the TO signing had? The impact and decisions regarding TO if anything strike me as proof that the Bills need worry little about the press impact of a Schobel retirement.

Sure whether Schobel retires or not is a factor that the Bills are thinking about but overall this strikes me as such a blip on the Bills road to the future its hard for me to see this as much of a point of strategic consideration for the FO and most likely has its primary value to the Bills in terms of tipping off or not tipping off their partner/opponent teams in the rest of the league.

My feeling is that Schobel has already informed them he plans on retiring. The Bills are waiting to announce it until a few days after the draft so that it will barely make headlines.

My guess is that it will barely make headlines right now. Why wait?

I agree, but I doubt he will play in Buffalo. I have a hunch that a trade is already in place and it will be announced on draft day.

That certainly a possible scenario. Perhaps to Houston or Dallas so that he can be closer to his family.

Last November, Schobel questioned the path Buffalo was taking. A short time later, DJ was canned by RW (not GM Smithers) and proceeded to get rejected by every name HC and hot OC available.

I think AS' impact on the team is more significant than most realize. He's the longest tenured Bill, their best defender, and rarely speaks. If he is moved on draft day (which is complicated by his large contract) it should tell even the homer schlub goober fans this team is rebuilding.

Besides, moving 43 DE's to 34 OLB's isn't something that typically works. Ask Aaron Kampman.

Agreed. It gives them more flexibility to target DL/OLB without tipping their hand due to need, like at the LT position.

No harm, no foul...except to message board readers.