What have the Bills done that has impressed you?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far they are sticking to their plan and not straying away from it. Stability is a huge part of being successful. They have impressed me in FA by signing quality affordable depth, and then going after mcnabb as best they could tells me Nix is running the show the way he believes it should be done. Looking forward to the draft, should be a good one for us.

They have tried to make the bold move but our reputation is making that harder than anyone realized. Having the media crap on your city and team nonstop does have the effect of poisoning people's perceptions. We have our problems but people's image of us is ten times worse than reality.

PTR

So far they are sticking to their plan and not straying away from it. Stability is a huge part of being successful. They have impressed me in FA by signing quality affordable depth, and then going after mcnabb as best they could tells me Nix is running the show the way he believes it should be done. Looking forward to the draft, should be a good one for us.

Okay, maybe it is just the fact that I miss football, and, despite it all, I love the Buffalo Bills. I have been as sour as anyone here, over the last two seasons, on this team. I am starting to feel a little better about them, but, what you post here, no offense, is complete garbage.

The Bills "stick to their plan" every year, which is, spend as little money as possible, and snooker fans into thinking they are really doing something...don't throw Terrell Owens at me... that was a pointless/useless signing, that I think everyone, except some delusional Bills fans, knew.

"They have impressed me in FA by signing quality affordable depth"- this is the clincher. Somewhere along the lines, Bills fans divided in to two factions...those who are sick of excuses and constant losing, and those who choose to cheer the front office for its' frugal use of Ralph Wilson's money...this particularly galls me. Have we sunk that low, as fans of this team, that we are simply happy to have a team to root for... who cares if they win? Beyond, possibly, Andra Davis (a need I will concede) what free agents have the Bills signed that really impress anyone? Is it the guy who spent his entire NFL career on the practice squads of 4 or 5 different teams, or the guy who spent most of his career on IR, but, provided he doesn't get injured again, could be a decent depth signing? Or, oh yeah, the high draft pick wide receiver we signed who couldn't cut it on two teams with much more productive passing games than the Bills have had in ages? Or maybe the runnng back who is the brother or someone more famous?

I will give ownership credit, for what I assume, were honest attempts to sign an established coach, and for going after Donovan McNabb... it is kind of like me asking the captian of the cheerleading squad to be my prom date, but at least I tried... can't fault them there....

Now, what I do like about what the Bills have done... they fired Dick Jauron, and, possibly, the most miserable coaching staff I have ever seen as a Bills fan. It may sound like I am being sarcastic there, but I am not...it is the best move all off season...Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey, etc...that is all firmly in the "let's see some results" category, before I can say they were good moves... I can tell you, I wasn't clamoring for either guy, didn't have either on my short list of desirable candidates for their respective jobs. As time has passed, though, I like that Gailey sounds like a real football coach, and doesn't seem afraid to coach...I like the fact that they are changing defensive schemes.... it may not sound like much, but, for me, being at the "wait and see" stage with the Bills feels a lot more positve than the "wait, I've seen this already" mode I have been in for the last two years... :thumbsup:

I am impressed by a couple things.

1. The unified GM/Head Coach relative to building the team.

2. Solid choices for GM and HC.

3. The addressing of the conditioning and injury problem. I think those two guys will pay immediate dividends in keeping the starters on the field and off injured reserve.

4. Sound FA decisions.

As a fan, I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't feel as if things are the way they've always been. I sense change.

Okay, maybe it is just the fact that I miss football, and, despite it all, I love the Buffalo Bills. I have been as sour as anyone here, over the last two seasons, on this team. I am starting to feel a little better about them, but, what you post here, no offense, is complete garbage.

The Bills "stick to their plan" every year, which is, spend as little money as possible, and snooker fans into thinking they are really doing something...don't throw Terrell Owens at me... that was a pointless/useless signing, that I think everyone, except some delusional Bills fans, knew.

"They have impressed me in FA by signing quality affordable depth"- this is the clincher. Somewhere along the lines, Bills fans divided in to two factions...those who are sick of excuses and constant losing, and those who choose to cheer the front office for its' frugal use of Ralph Wilson's money...this particularly galls me. Have we sunk that low, as fans of this team, that we are simply happy to have a team to root for... who cares if they win? Beyond, possibly, Andra Davis (a need I will concede) what free agents have the Bills signed that really impress anyone? Is it the guy who spent his entire NFL career on the practice squads of 4 or 5 different teams, or the guy who spent most of his career on IR, but, provided he doesn't get injured again, could be a decent depth signing.

I will give ownership credit, for what I assume, were honest attempts to sign an established coach, and for going after Donovan McNabb... it is kind of like me asking the captian of the cheerleading squad to be my prom date, but at least I tried... can't fault them there....

Now, what I do like about what the Bills have done... they fired Dick Jauron, and, possibly, the most miserable coaching staff I have ever seen as a Bills fan. It may sound like I am being sarcastic there, but I am not...it is the best move all off season...Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey, etc...that is all firmly in the "let's see some results" category, before I can say they were good moves... I can tell you, I wasn't clamoring for either guy, didn't have either on my short list of desirable candidates for their respective jobs. As time has passed, though, I like that Gailey sounds like a real football coach, and doesn't seem afraid to coach...I like the fact that they are changing defensive schemes....

I agree my man, but the reality of it is half the the things your sick about the FO can't help. This isnt college recruiting it's the NFL where players want to be anywhere but here.

As for the FA debockle, I don't want big name overpaid players it just doesn't make sense to do anymore because it never works!!!! You stick to your guns in the draft. So your whole Give me a break on mediocre FA's is just another state of delusion

Some of you seem to be satisfied with the direction the team is going. Please explain why.

Good: They didn't blow a bunch of picks on some over the hill FA QB

Bad: They haven't cut enough of the losers (i.e., Roscoe)

Maybe: Let's see how they do in the draft. They can't possibly be worse than the clowns that have been making the picks for the last ten years.

They have tried to make the bold move but our reputation is making that harder than anyone realized. Having the media crap on your city and team nonstop does have the effect of poisoning people's perceptions. We have our problems but people's image of us is ten times worse than reality.

PTR

Yeah, I am not a violent person by any means, but when I hear commentators and retired NFL players giggle...I mean "giggle" like school girls when Buffalo comes up as a place for anyone to end up I just want to slap the p*** out of them.

That being said, I am please with the top tier of guys we having running the show and I am willing to give Gailey a chance. A fair chance to work through this.

I agree my man, but the reality of it is half the the things your sick about the FO can't help. This isnt college recruiting it's the NFL where players want to be anywhere but here.

As for the FA debockle, I don't want big name overpaid players it just doesn't make sense to do anymore because it never works!!!! You stick to your guns in the draft. So your whole Give me a break on mediocre FA's is just another state of delusion

I beg to differ. Good teams, good franchises, make impact FA signings, not "let's sign this guy, and hope everything works"...that is the Bills approach, and it never works!!! There are plenty of things the owner could do, that could make this team better...but he doesn't have the money...and we allow that to be an excuse...and that is why the franchise reputation has taken such a tumble...it has nothing to do with Buffalo...just ask Freddy Jackson what it is all about.

3. The addressing of the conditioning and injury problem. I think those two guys will pay immediate dividends in keeping the starters on the field and off injured reserve.

4. Sound FA decisions.

As a fan, I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't feel as if things are the way they've always been. I sense change.

+4

5. Dwan Edwards signing

6. Bruce Edwards as DC

P.S. Isn't gonna make or break a football team, but how in the world to you cut your best special teams gunner and then re-sign a 215 lb. linebacker who is utterly useless?

I'm satisfied because I like that the team is resisting the knee-jerk reaction to get mediocre FAs. I'm also glad they are taking a measured approach regarding RFAs, because that could get VERY expensive in a hurry.

Gives me the sense that they feel our draft picks are gold, and shouldn't be easily parted with.

The jets did well this past year, but their lack of draft picks is going to KILL them. It will force them to continue to dip into FA in the future, and not have young quality building blocks to depend on. That spells trouble.

A little help, please.

Some of you seem to be satisfied with the direction the team is going. Please explain why.

All I have seen in staff changes and player acquisitions has been underwhelming. Am I missing something?

The problem as I see it, is that all things being equal, that Buffalo is just not an ideal location. Many players like the limelight or warm weather. Also playing in a dome agrees with a lot of new players that do not want to play outside in 3 degrees below zero. I think this hampers the team more than the FO right now.

I think the FO is going back to assembling a staff that will try to build a fundamentally sound football team, instead of slapping on band aids and signing players to ostensibly to sell tickets.

Of course, I could be dead wrong, but that's my impression.

Is Buffalo any worse than say Green Bay? Or Philadelphia? Or Kansas City?

I live in PA (Lehigh Valley) and I can't figure out why anyone would want to come play in Philly.

I would say though that Arizona improved it's attractiveness as a FA destination by building a domed stadium. I attended a Cardinals game in that relentless heat, and the heat on the field was even worse.

The good news is that there was some change with Buddy Nix being in charge of football and with Chan Gailey replacing one of the most losing HC's in NFL history. On the other hand, a 70 year old rookie GM and a 58 year old retread head coach with a OK-but-nothing-great resume working with a cupboard that was left pretty bare by the stupidity follies of Levy/Brandon and Dick Jauron in a "one traffic light town" known in other parts of the country mostly for rusting decay, vacancy, and blizzards doesn't really equate to a white knight on a white stallion with a scroll of amazing success stories in each hand. No doubt they are doing the best that they can with the cards they have been dealt, but that hasn't translated into any blockbuster moves or a new era of free spending and attracting the best free agents. Why would it? The money handlers in the organization are all the same people that got us to this point; and, there are better opportunities and franchises with much better track records in the NFL. Ask Mike Shanahan.

What you said +2

Plus I like the fact that they seems to have direction now, the fact they got Dehaven, back plus 2 strength coaches. I for sure like what Buddy has done so far and I like Chan, he's old school it seems like and I think the team will be better than we expect this season.

4. Sound FA decisions.

I'm with you. Plus the decision to add more scouts going forward.

A little help, please.

All I have seen in staff changes and player acquisitions has been underwhelming. Am I missing something?

We're young and have some pieces in place. We need a franchise QB and LT before we can move forward though. I'm staying positive and giving Nix/Gailey a fair shot.

Our free agent signings haven't been splashy or sexy but they are good, sound signings. We brought in an O-Line piece as well as two solid veteran defenders who will smooth our transition to the 3-4. We are bound to experience some growing pains but Davis and Edwards should not only contribute but help our guys learn the 3-4 quicker. Edwards will run help defense and occupy blockers whil Davis will make calls and ensure the guys are where they are supposed to be and know their assignments. It wasn't the greatest FA class to pick from this year anyway and I'm glad we didn't splurge or over-spend on players.

Nix believes in building through the draft which is the right way to go. He's done his homework and explored viable options including attempting to aquire Donovan McNabb as well as looking into Jason Campbell.

I'm impressed with Gailey's no-nonsense approach to workouts too. Getting rid of the TVs and saying we have to work hard is the right attitude. I don't know about everyone else but that spoke volumes to me and really impressed me a lot.

The ten years and counting sucks but this new regime has no ties to that previous losing culture and they deserve a fair shot. They'll work hard and do their best. I don't expect playoffs this year but I do expect to see improvement each year for the next three years (which is the minimum length we will have Nix/Gailey).

I'm optimistic and look forward to a good draft.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

Is Buffalo any worse than say Green Bay? Or Philadelphia? Or Kansas City?

I live in PA (Lehigh Valley) and I can't figure out why anyone would want to come play in Philly.

I would say though that Arizona improved it's attractiveness as a FA destination by building a domed stadium. I attended a Cardinals game in that relentless heat, and the heat on the field was even worse.

Other than a handful of players -- McGahee for example -- most Bills seem to really like it in Buffalo, if their remarks are a true indication. And the fact that so many players remain in the area after their careers are over is about the best recommendation there is. Our FA signings this off season all mentioned the glowing praise former Bills gave the town and the fans in particular as important to their decisions to sign with the Bills. Ruben Brown kept his home in Buffalo all the years he was playing elsewhere. Eric Moulds still lives in the area. Andre, Kelly, Thurman, Talley, et al are passionate about the Bills, the fans and the town. Heck, there are Bills from the early 60s still living in Buffalo.

A friend of mine, a pretty well-known guy from San Francisco who's been to Buffalo a number of times, once said that "The cool thing about Buffalo is that it's big enough to have all the things you want in a city, and small enough that you feel like your part in it matters."

I'm satisfied because I like that the team is resisting the knee-jerk reaction to get mediocre FAs. I'm also glad they are taking a measured approach regarding RFAs, because that could get VERY expensive in a hurry.

Gives me the sense that they feel our draft picks are gold, and shouldn't be easily parted with.

The jets did well this past year, but their lack of draft picks is going to KILL them. It will force them to continue to dip into FA in the future, and not have young quality building blocks to depend on. That spells trouble.

Yeah, those Jets are doomed! No young quality building blocks on that team....and witih no draft picks this year!!

Completely f*kked! Glad we're not in their situation.