Hard to remember 17 months ago.

Hard to remember that 17 months ago we were 5-1, and headed to the playoff. Floyd Reese was on NFL live picking us for the superbowl. He had a young franchise QB, a young pro bowl running back, a young undrated pro bowl left tackle, and a young team that could only get better. We were maybe 1 or 2 players away from be a real contender.

Now we have no QB, no LT, our young running back is on his way out. No proven coach will come here even though we offer then boat loads of money. Player from other team don't want to come here. All this in 17 months, What happened?

Dick Jauron, No football GM and a freight train named Adrian Wilson running through Trent.....

Quite frankly, I'm sick of people using that hit as a reason why Trent isn't very good. He played no better in those 5 wins. It wasn't like he was throwing the ball around for 300 yd 3 TD performances. His best game that season probably came the week after that hit.

Hard to remember that 17 months ago we were 5-1, and headed to the playoff. Floyd Reese was on NFL live picking us for the superbowl. He had a young franchise QB, a young pro bowl running back, a young undrated pro bowl left tackle, and a young team that could only get better. We were maybe 1 or 2 players away from be a real contender.

Now we have no QB, no LT, our young running back is on his way out. No proven coach will come here even though we offer then boat loads of money. Player from other team don't want to come here. All this in 17 months, What happened?

QB: Still have the same one who got us to 5-1.

LT: Shipped off overpaid Peters & replaced with whatever.

RB: Did it to himself.

Coach: Future ownership and future location of team unknown after Ralph Wilson passes/sells team.

Players: Jim Kelly didn't want to come here, either.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of people using that hit as a reason why Trent isn't very good. He played no better in those 5 wins. It wasn't like he was throwing the ball around for 300 yd 3 TD performances. His best game that season probably came the week after that hit.

I couldn't agree more. He had his best game of his career the following game against San Diego. He was great that game and he outplayed Rivers for a huge victory at home. I was convinced after that game that he was going to be a good QB, although I never saw greatness in him. Well, then he played out the season in horrible fashion and continued his terrible play throughout last year.

The Wilson hit is just another on a long list of excuses as to why Trent sucks.

Toss a fair coin 6 times and it may land heads 5 out of 6 times...a good team maintains a strong record through the playoffs...lucky teams fade...(see 2009 Broncos)

You have to look at the individual games though. Trent played very well in the late third, fourth quarters of those wins. Yes,

he "looked" as if he was turning the corner.

As for the hit, he completed the pass, standing in there and releasing the ball just before the hit. On that play he looked like

he had it all going, and unfortunately, that hit and few other lesser ones afterward led him to become a "deer in the headlights" QB. Can he regain his confidence? Who knows, but it does appear that he is lacking in toughness.

I still can't help myself from disliking his throwing motion. Compared to the classic over head throwing motion of Kelly, Edwards kinda throws like what we used to call, "a girl".

Not surprisingly, fans on this very board talked up the team, despite the poor quality of their opponents. They were beaten harshly in the Arizona game, but rebounded to beat SD at home. From there, it was all downhill against the leagues 2nd easiest schedule.

I've always felt the Bills haven't added to their talent based, but used the draft to replace departed players. Regardless of individual player, merely replacing is not good enough to compete in the NFL. Teams do not historically ride the rail of mediocre for too long; they either become bad or become good. Somehow, the Bills haven't become either.

he played much better in those games. especially late in those game. But his career as a starter is done.

While it may not have been that hit alone at least he was on an upward trajectory in terms of ability and performance. Something(s) changed not only for Trent but the team. Guess it really does not matter because the past is the past.

Good point. IIRC, quarterbacks like Kurt Warner received concussions over the years and still maintained super-star level form.

:angry: I do not recall this. I do remember Trent for MVP talk however. :wacko:

Floyd Reese was wrong.

That is what you get when you had no real GM to run the ship....

A real GM signs Jason Peters to a contract on the Bills terms.

A real GM does not let his HC jumble the entire OL 2 days before the start.

A real GM does not let the HC fire his OC 2 days before the season and inject in an untested OC

We win that game against SF and Cleveland, we are probably much better off.....

17 mo ago i was happy as hell. screaming my butt off at the tv with the comeback wins. they had a poll question about us on moday night football. who was the better team? of course we lost the poll.

but regardless. i was happy as hell.

now i am depressed. maybe the bills will never go to the playoffs again. i love the bills, but damn...

The Wilson hit in AZ made Trent skittish and his OL never redeemed itself by providing him some hope he would be protected. Hence, his skittishness (?) only got worse and they went to Ryan because a vet, he would be able to handle that pressure better - remember the coaches saying he gave them the best chance to win? Slim yes, but a better chance. If the OL improves, ANY QB will have greated confidence and therefore we should see better play from that position in 2010.