Foods you detest

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, most pizzas I have with mushrooms use fresh ones. My pet peve with them is as I mentioned they just throw them on the pie raw and bake it. They don't saute them first.

Well I envision cali as a place that would make gourmet type pizzas, perhaps it is the local industry standard.

Yeah, working at a pizza shop, it amazes me how many people like to put that nastiness on their za. The only thing worse is anchovies! :lol:

My saintly Scilian Grandmother put anchovies on her homemade pizza Mr. Ink and that makes it right be me.

Any argument? :thumbsup:

I'm going to go into the fridge and grab some tasty green olives stuffed with blue cheese and a bit of mushroom salad. Both are leftovers from yesterday's feast.

My saintly Scilian Grandmother put anchovies on her homemade pizza Mr. Ink and that make it right be me.

Any argument? :flirt:

I'm going to go into the fridge and grab some tasty green olives stuffed with blue cheese and a bit of mushroom salad. Both are leftovers from yesterday's feast.

Jumbo green olives stuffed with a whole garlic clove. :thumbsup:

Man I love Brussels sprouts. Sauteed in browned butter. :thumbsup:

I do mine in olive oil with fresh garlic.

Wife used to hate the little buggers so I didn't make them for years. Finally about 18 months or so ago (I'm 25 years into my marriage) I said screw it and bought some. I cooked them up and she decided to give them a try. They're now a favorite of hers.

Mrs. BB calls them little garlicy balls of goodness :flirt:

moral to the story...don't boil your vegetables. Anything green is better sauteed (beans, peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli...).

Are you Brussel sprouts Sauteer's cooking the whole sprout or cutting it up?

Ok, tip from the Chef. Take the sprouts and pull off loose leaves. Trim the stem a bit and cut and X with a knife in the stem. This will facilitate the cooking of the tougher stem bit without over cooking the sprouts. Parboil them in boiling salted water until soft. To serve put whole butter into a saute pan and as it starts to brown (it will have a hazelnut smell to it :thumbsup: ) add the sprouts whole and saute. Season with salt and pepper.

Have to give it a try,like today.I always just steamed them.

Steaming works instead of boiling but I like boiling because of the salted water gives them great flavor. He's something else that works good for Thanksgiving is toss them in the browned butter with chestnuts. The sweetness of the chestnuts goes well with the slight bitterness of the sprouts.

Steaming works instead of boiling but I like boiling because of the salted water gives them great flavor. He's something else that works good for Thanksgiving is toss them in the browned butter with chestnuts. The sweetness of the chestnuts goes well with the slight bitterness of the sprouts.

I wonder how it would come out with a broth instesd of just salt water....

Rutabagas

Turnips

Onions

Raw tomatoes

Fish

Shellfish

Garlic

Liver

Sweetbreads

Cabbage

Brussells sprouts

Flan

Oriental foods

Mexican foods

no fish? what??? so if you dont eat fish, you probably dont eat sushi. wow.

no mexican food. what??? who doesnt like a big @ steak burrito or nachos and cheese.

you dont think outside the bun or what. taco bell is imitation mexican food, but its the general idea.

no yoshi, no panda express. fried rice. what. i almost dont believe your post.

are you stuck in cincy or no one invited you anywhere?

HATE:

Mushrooms (I can handle stuffed mushrooms)

Olives

Anchovies

Kiwi

Used to HATE, but now LOVE:

Scallops

Salmon

Onions

Tomatoes

Green Peppers

you mean the fruit that goes great with strawberries????

kiwis are great. i have never heard or read of anyone not liking a kiwi. oh well.

Liver, kidney. Blurgh, I don't care how good they are supposed to be for me.

Marmite/Vegemite.

Farmed mushrooms. The wild ones I pick myself are awesome (no, I'm not referring to the magical variety). Ones you get in shops are so bland.

Zucchini

Mild cheeses. What is the point?

Salmon. Like just about every other fish going but Salmon, for some reason, I hate.

Processed foods generally I find pretty awful, give me fresh ingredients every day in almost every case.

Cider.

Why do part skim/low fat cheeses even exist? It ruins the texture. If you want less fat,just don't buy cheese. Same with milk. The 2% tastes like colored water.

I'm amazed at how often mushrooms and olives have been mentioned here.

Having children... One realizes it is all about "texture" when it comes to certain foods. The likes and dislikes are determined early in live with regard to these "textures." Having children has given me a lot of insights on reasons why I dislike certain foods.

So basically... It is very mental.

Not to get me on the Asian carp thing... Look how Americans view carp against how the rest of the world (especially China) views that fish. Salmon can be just as boney.

Carp: Booming WORLD business

There may finally be a solution to the Asian carp problem in Illinois -- ship them back where they came from.

The fish that are considered a threat to our Great Lakes ecosystem and a projectile danger to any boater, are actually considered a delicacy in China.

Pearl, Illinois company Big River Fish is planning to ship 30 million pounds of the invasive species to China this year.

"We've had groups in China taste it. They came here and ate it, and say it's the best carp they've ever had," owner Ross Harano said.

Apparently the rivers in China are too polluted to grow quality carp, so the Illinois fish will be sold at a premium to high-end Chinese restaurants.Big River Fish expects to make around $20 million per year exporting the carp, and the demand could grow, Harano says.

Right now, there's an estimated 100 million pounds of the fish in the Illinois River, so it begs the question, will this be the end of the Asian carp invasion?

At a small business forum Monday in Chicago, Sen. Dick Durbin said he approved of the company's plans.

"It turns out the Chinese were very impressed with the quality of our Asian carp. I hope they're impressed enough to take them all home," Durbin said.

The first shipment goes out Friday.

IIRC, pickle juice and Kraft macaroni boiled in a pan, then fried up in the same pan. This or that spice added to taste.

You should have just made him a batch and sent it to him for his enjoyment.

:blink:

SOUR CREAM = SOOOOO GOOD how can anyone hate it...

I used to like sour cream and then I entered a 'belly buster' contest at a Muckdogs game in Batavia last summer when I traveled home. The 6th inning surprise was a 16 oz plastic cup of sour cream. I finished it by the third out but it was tough. That item knocked out 2 competitors - one ralphed and the other couldn't finish it in time. I started out well but when I got about 2/3 through, the consistency started making it unpalatable. I can eat a little bit now but I didn't want to eat any for a while.

I apologize for the hijack but a few other items we had to eat:

Can of kidney beans (drink liquid as well)

1/2 cup of garlic cloves covered in chocolate

can of tuna (drink liquid as well - this almost got me as I made a tactical error and drank the liquid first)

ice cream covered with whipped cream and anchovies

veggie burger with baby food peas covering the burger