Jimmy Clausen

Brand J

I posted this before but:

Those are the stats from 3 rookie QBs in 2009 (Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman) and Trent Edwards' rookie year in 2007. Which might fall inline with what Clausen could do for us in 2010. Are they good enough to really turn around this team in 2010? Most likely not so I say get a better collection of players in the higher rounds this year see LT Bulaga (or Trent Williams) in Round 1, possibly WR Arrelious Benn in Round 2, NT Cam Thomas in Round 3, then take a QB in Round 4 as it's a lower risk and if he bombs then go after take a QB in Round 1 in 2012 when have more pieces in place.

You are right that no rookie QB is going to turn around a team, but nothing is going to turn around the Bills in 2010. The idea is (or should be) to build a team that can win in 2-3 years by getting the right pieces in place in this and next year's drafts; QB, LT, NT as top priorities; DE, LB, WR as secondary priorities.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched him play a ton....he's bad. Your logic paralells the previous managements decision to take Maybin....who is also very bad. Maybin had one decent year, like Clausen.

If you watched him play, what about his play was "bad"? Funny how you say this and even his biggest detractors have never said he's "bad". The comparison to Maybin, like your post, is ridiculous. Maybin only played in '08 because of injuries and suspensions. Clausen was the top prospect in the country, stepped on ND's campus and took the starting job for almost 3 full years. He showed amazing progression year after year and finished up his TRUE Junior year almost perfect. In case you didn't know, QB's take a couple years to evolve.

So how is he like Maybin?

If you watched him play, what about his play was "bad"? Funny how you say this and even his biggest detractors have never said he's "bad". The comparison to Maybin, like your post, is ridiculous. Maybin only played in '08 because of injuries and suspensions. Clausen was the top prospect in the country, stepped on ND's campus and took the starting job for almost 3 full years. He showed amazing progression year after year and finished up his TRUE Junior year almost perfect. In case you didn't know, QB's take a couple years to evolve.

So how is he like Maybin?

They're about the same height.

I watched him play a ton....he's bad. Your logic paralells the previous managements decision to take Maybin....who is also very bad. Maybin had one decent year, like Clausen.

Even if he's there, get an OLineman. take a flyer on a guy like Tony Pike.

I too watched him play and describing him as "bad" is the last thing I'd say while watching him lead comebacks. I am not a Notre Dame fan, but have a friend who is a die hard Irish fan, so I decided to peek at a few games. I remember when Clausen took the field as a freshman - that guy was bad. The Clausen that took the field this year was an excellent player. Maybin was putting up stats against no name teams, so I don't understand where you're getting the "my logic parallels the previous managements decision". Maybin was a 1 year starter who put up stats against bad teams and disappeared in big games. Clausen started all 3 of his years, put up stats against top tier teams, and made big plays in big games. If you honestly watched Clausen play this past year and felt that he was a bad QB, you need to get better prescription glasses...

I'm digging this up again, because some of you obviously need to read this article. There was too much stupidity in the "what's wrong with Clausen?" thread, that I just couldn't comment on it all - small hands, short, his play as a freshman/soph, someone punched him and blackened his eye so it means he deserved it and is a prick, he's bad, guaranteed to bust/fail, etc., etc., etc., nonsense, nonsense, nonsense... If the Bills do pass on Jimmy Clausen at #9 providing that he's available, I will hope to the high heavens that he fails for that team. I couldn't accept the FO making yet another colossal draft day blunder, at the NFL's most important position and our team's greatest position of need...

He he, love it.

On behalf of the great anti-Clausen gallery, I'll respond:

1) No not much if at all, but they do watch and listen to the pundits on ESPN

2) He went to ND

2) He played for ND

2) He's from Kalifornia

2) He's blonde

2) He wears speed-os

2) He got a black eye from a drunk

2) He's not someone else

2) Someone said he's cocky

2) "He's already developed about as much as can be expected because he was coached and tutored by Jabba the Hut in a pro-style offense - so he doesn't have as much "upside" potential than say, Tim Tebow or Colt-45 McCoy, "Todd McShame1

1You should know by now that Todd McShame is the very best talent evaluator of all time and his word has the weight of the rule of law. His pigskin picks are peerless. His own mother changed her last name and home phone number to avoid the calls to her house by NFL scouts and general managers for his incredibly sage advice.

Funny how this is almost never mentioned.

Plus 3 more where he led his team to multiple late scores but his defense subsequently lost the game.

But a guy whose team won half their games by 30 points and got blasted by Alabama is somehow regarded as a legendary leader. :angry:

After watching the press conference Bradford gave at the combine (and is on bb.com), you can see why people think of him as a leader.

I posted this before but:

Those are the stats from 3 rookie QBs in 2009 (Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman) and Trent Edwards' rookie year in 2007. Which might fall inline with what Clausen could do for us in 2010. Are they good enough to really turn around this team in 2010? Most likely not so I say get a better collection of players in the higher rounds this year see LT Bulaga (or Trent Williams) in Round 1, possibly WR Arrelious Benn in Round 2, NT Cam Thomas in Round 3, then take a QB in Round 4 as it's a lower risk and if he bombs then go after take a QB in Round 1 in 2012 when have more pieces in place.

Please explain the logic of your argument:

"Clausen won't be ready to be a difference maker in 2010, so pass on him and take a QB in 2011 who also won't be ready to be a difference maker".

You are basically guaranteeing 2-3 mores crappy years. If Nix think Clausen can be a franchise QB, take him. Build the rest of the team and be ready to win for many consecutive years. Fans need to get away from the notion that this thing can be fixed immediately and the Bills will be a contender this year. All draft picks and other moves need to be viewed under the notion that they are longer range moves, not just specifically trying to get the most wins in 2010.

I don't know anything at all about Clausen, so I don't have an opinion on whether he is the right guy to take. But it seems that he is widely considered to be the only other QB besides Bradford who is considered a potential first round franchise QB. If Buddy and the scouting staff think this is true of him, they need to do whatever they have to in order to get him. And then they have to build a team around him. No QB alone is going to fix this team. But a franchise QB is a major part of the rebuilding process. But never forget that it is a process.

Clausen is Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, BUST material at it's finest....yeah and someone said he was cocky...coincidently it was the guy who gave em a shiner in front of his girl hehehehee...he's a chump...listen to his combine interview and you can see him going nutty after a loss like Leaf did...he's crap and I guarantee he busts...

Clausen is Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, BUST material at it's finest....yeah and someone said he was cocky...coincidently it was the guy who gave em a shiner in front of his girl hehehehee...he's a chump...listen to his combine interview and you can see him going nutty after a loss like Leaf did...he's crap and I guarantee he busts...

Thanks for your ridiculously definitive & declarative look into the future. :thumbsup: What's tomorrow's lottery # Mr. Soothsayer?

Thanks for your ridiculously definitive & declarative look into the future. :thumbsup: What's tomorrow's lottery # Mr. Soothsayer?

I predict you will not win...

and this "why the team vote him the captain crappola is ridiculous"...like Rick Mirer wasn't the leader of his squad...and Ryan Leaf wasn't either????...ridiculous...doesn't prove a thing...

Did ya catch the article about him flipping out over a loss and getting his azz beat?...I mean come on...no self control, his interviews are disgusting to watch...like car crashes...he will never take the heat that the media puts on NFLers...the only way he'll make it is by throwing for 300 yards and 3 tds in every game as a pro...and we all know that won't happen hehehe...so, bye bye Clausen he's a primo BUST

I mean check him out during this interview after a harsh loss...

and this "why the team vote him the captain crappola is ridiculous"...like Rick Mirer wasn't the leader of his squad...and Ryan Leaf wasn't either????...ridiculous...doesn't prove a thing...

Did ya catch the article about him flipping out over a loss and getting his azz beat?...I mean come on...no self control, his interviews are disgusting to watch...like car crashes...he will never take the heat that the media puts on NFLers...the only way he'll make it is by throwing for 300 yards and 3 tds in every game as a pro...and we all know that won't happen hehehe...so, bye bye Clausen he's a primo BUST

I know, I know...you'll be here all week!!! :cry: Thanks for the show!! :thumbsup:

I mean check him out during this interview after a harsh loss...

Yeah, who wants a guy who gets upset after a loss? He would never fit in here.

Yeah, who wants a guy who gets upset after a loss? He would never fit in here.

Look the last egomanic who hated losing and played in B'Lo and was named Jim did pretty well for us didn't he? At least Claussen has the right first name to be a Bill.

I know this wont happen but if Bulaga and Clausen are both there at #9 who do you take?

I know this wont happen but humor me anyways...

Clausen, no question. As much as everyone will not admit it, the QB is the biggest issue on this team. LT is a close second..

I know this wont happen but if Bulaga and Clausen are both there at #9 who do you take?

I know this wont happen but humor me anyways...

This would be a great situation - win win IMO

My prediction is that you take the potential franchise QB

You are right that no rookie QB is going to turn around a team, but nothing is going to turn around the Bills in 2010. The idea is (or should be) to build a team that can win in 2-3 years by getting the right pieces in place in this and next year's drafts; QB, LT, NT as top priorities; DE, LB, WR as secondary priorities.

Agreed. the opportunity to land a QB like Clausen doesn't come around all that often. We just missed out on Rothlesburger for example. I don't think we can let that chance slip by hoping that we will get a guy next year. Maybe we win 7 games in 2010 and are once again picking too late to land a quality prospect. Solid LT's are hard to find as well but not as hard as QB's.