One Seemingly Simple Question

Stampede

I apologize if I missed the discussion elsewhere (and i did look), but why would a college QB with aspirations of playing in the NFL not work on taking the ball from under center, proper throwing motion, understanding the pro set etc, etc on his own time while in college, as opposed to weeks before the draft? It seems to me that if they where REALLY serious about their future they would spend time during EACH off season (college) to do just that. What am I missing???:thumbsup:

I apologize if I missed the discussion elsewhere (and i did look), but why would a college QB with aspirations of playing in the NFL not work on taking the ball from under center, proper throwing motion, understanding the pro set etc, etc on his own time while in college, as opposed to weeks before the draft? It seems to me that if they where REALLY serious about their future they would spend time during EACH off season (college) to do just that. What am I missing???:thumbsup:

I have to agree with you. I'm no expert in throwing motion and probably could not have identified the weakness to begin with, but clearly about everyone in NFL circles says he had a bad throwing motion in college, so it seems it should have been obvious to his college coaches, too, and something they would have worked on. I don't get it, either.

Who has the time to go to class, practice with your college team to be great and practice pro-style plays? It would throw off your college play and is a horrible idea.

Tebow was a winner in college and enjoyed huge success. Unfortunately Urban Meyer's system doesn't groom NFL-ready QBs. But it does produce BCS championships, which is all that matters to him and Florida. Tebow's playing style and throwing mechanics don't translate well to NFL play. So he has no choice but to change his throwing motion and practice pro-style offensive plays/formations if he wants to be drafted as a QB and play as a QB and enjoy success as a QB.

If you have a division one scholarship for football and you have classes and you are a missionary. Your life has little time for anything else. I am sure guys have practiced it on there own but there is a significant difference between doing that and working with a position coach.

Who has the time to go to class, practice with your college team to be great and practice pro-style plays? It would throw off your college play and is a horrible idea.

Tebow was a winner in college and enjoyed huge success. Unfortunately Urban Meyer's system doesn't groom NFL-ready QBs. But it does produce BCS championships, which is all that matters to him and Florida. Tebow's playing style and throwing mechanics don't translate well to NFL play. So he has no choice but to change his throwing motion and practice pro-style offensive plays/formations if he wants to be drafted as a QB and play as a QB and enjoy success as a QB.

:thumbsup: Exactly. After practice,training and class,these kids aren't left with much time.

Well, it is hard to argue with the guy's success. But doesn't it stand to reason that if he improved his throwing motion (to get up-to-par with the next level of football, that it would have served him well in college ball, too? The guy was a great leader and could run for some tough yards in short yardage situations, but it seems he could have benefited at UF from an improved throwing motion.

Well, it is hard to argue with the guy's success. But doesn't it stand to reason that if he improved his throwing motion (to get up-to-par with the next level of football, that it would have served him well in college ball, too? The guy was a great leader and could run for some tough yards in short yardage situations, but it seems he could have benefited at UF from an improved throwing motion.

benefit how? in his last game he was 31/35 for 482 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs. In 2007 he threw for over 3200 yards, 32 TDs and only 6 INTs. The next year he threw another 30 TDs and only 4 INTs. His completion percentage over his college career was 67%. They won the SEC championship, the National Championship, and almost did the same thing the next year. HOW would anyone done any better?

wrt the bold, people act like ALL he ever did was run the ball, and that is completely incorrect.

it's not like he didnt have an arm at all. he just has a weird throwing motion which he has already shown he can improve with minimal work.

benefit how? in his last game he was 31/35 for 482 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs. In 2007 he threw for over 3200 yards, 32 TDs and only 6 INTs. The next year he threw another 30 TDs and only 4 INTs. His completion percentage over his college career was 67%. They won the SEC championship, the National Championship, and almost did the same thing the next year. HOW would anyone done any better?

wrt the bold, people act like ALL he ever did was run the ball, and that is completely incorrect.

it's not like he didnt have an arm at all. he just has a weird throwing motion which he has already shown he can improve with minimal work.

Adjusting your throwing motion on a practice field and in a game setting are two completely different things. Who's to say also that this new motion won't hurt what does in game situations. Personally I see Tebow as a major reach at pick 9 and hope we stay away from until Round 4 at the earliest in the draft. I won't deny his college accomplishments as they are truely great but the laundry list of great Heisman winning QBs reproducing in the NFL is more short than long so I say pass on Tebow and hopefully land a LT like Bulaga or Williams in Round 1 and go from there.

I apologize if I missed the discussion elsewhere (and i did look), but why would a college QB with aspirations of playing in the NFL not work on taking the ball from under center, proper throwing motion, understanding the pro set etc, etc on his own time while in college, as opposed to weeks before the draft? It seems to me that if they where REALLY serious about their future they would spend time during EACH off season (college) to do just that. What am I missing??? :thumbsup:

Mostly they want to learn the college system and work at perfecting that before they even start thinking of the pros.

Kids are recruited out of high school and if they throw sidearm with a long delivery it doesn't matter If they can get the ball from point A to point B and the team wins games. Why would most coaches want to screw around adjusting technique if the kid is good enough to win for them.

The coaches will tell them that there are NFL camps or trainers they can attend after the final year of college and before the draft, just like Tim Tebow is attending.

Most NFL teams want a guy who has played in a pro style offense in college, like Mark Sanchez from USC. But then look at Matt Leinart who is taking forever to develop.

Anyway, Trent Edwards should do much better with Chan Gailey as his head coach / OC, the guy knows enough to setup a proper offense and help the young QB's correct mistakes.

I apologize if I missed the discussion elsewhere (and i did look), but why would a college QB with aspirations of playing in the NFL not work on taking the ball from under center, proper throwing motion, understanding the pro set etc, etc on his own time while in college, as opposed to weeks before the draft? It seems to me that if they where REALLY serious about their future they would spend time during EACH off season (college) to do just that. What am I missing??? :thumbsup:

Your missing the fact that Tebow <genuflect> "can will his team to win" and he made a "promise" and can get fools to pay him $160 to scribble his name on a scrap of paper. Therefore reinventing the entire way he plays the position weeks before the draft is completely reasonable and absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

I'm sure the first time he faces live competition with his new and improved QB style, NFL defenses will be baffled.

It's interesting that Tebow wasn't even on my mind when I originally posted. I had actually just read an assessment of Jarret Brown and decided to pose the question which has been on my mind for ages. This seems to be the case with most (if not all) college QBs who go to a school that run a spread offense, or in the case with even Philip Rivers and his throwing motion when he entered the draft.

But since everyone assumed I was referring to Tebow; if he went to Columbia, Stanford, Harvard or even Syracuse I might (maybe :thumbsup: ) be able to understand because of the academic demand alone, but UF? UF? I went to a very demanding school and had a very busy schedule on and off campus. Many times we (fellow students) would talk with each other agonizing over whether we should take extra classes during summer recess or accept a co-op position or volunteer for community service (summer vacation? who had time for vacation?) in order to enhance our marketability after graduation. And believe me it wasn't a matter of getting a 10 million dollar signing bonus vs 30 mill or more in our case. Often times we had to sacrifice one thing for another if it meant better job opportunities later. Even if Tebow isn't about the money, the difference between a 10 mill and 30 mill plus signing bonus can go a long way in charity or missionary work if that's where his heart is at. I'm sorry but I can't understand why anyone (not just Tebow) couldn't schedule the time to improve his mechanics to be of better use to an NFL team IMMEDIATELY and get more money in the process (not that I agree with throwing big money at rookies but that's the way it is). after all he DOES want to be in the NFL. who can argue that there would be no question of being a first round pic if he had scheduled a little time to improve on his own each year before graduation?

Why would they do this? They're on scholarship and being coached by men who are supposed to know the game. The coach has the job to prepare the players and strengthen their weaknesses for the benefit of the player who is playing in the system he runs.

For instance, Urban Meyer does not run a pro style offense. So Tebow did not practice what pro QB's do. If his coaches are not saying he has issues and he's successful with the coaching he received, and he was, why would he believe he needed to do anything different? It's not like pro scouts are talking to these players before they are eligible for the draft saying your motion is bad. And it's not necessarily Meyer's job to make Tebow a pro QB. It's Meyer's job to make Tebow a University of Florida QB. If QB's want "pro" type coaching they need to play for a coach who runs a pro style offense.

I think I have read that Bradford was working on these things during the school year. He is going to be a better NFL qb than Tebow.

Anyhoo, I would rather have a guy whose whole being, his whole identity is based on playing Qb (like Jim Kelly) than a part time missionary.

A pathetic shell of a human, that feels absolutely worthless if he loses a game. A guy who, after he retires will continue to hang around the franchise because his whole life has been based on football. This is the kind of guy I want to lead the Bills. Like an aged rock star who burned so brightly in his prime, that the remainder of his life is merely a long look back, regardless of future successes (Mick Jagger).

These are the myth-embodying jocks that will win some games (Brett Favre).

I mean it.

It's interesting that Tebow wasn't even on my mind when I originally posted. I had actually just read an assessment of Jarret Brown and decided to pose the question which has been on my mind for ages. This seems to be the case with most (if not all) college QBs who go to a school that run a spread offense, or in the case with even Philip Rivers and his throwing motion when he entered the draft.

But since everyone assumed I was referring to Tebow; if he went to Columbia, Stanford, Harvard or even Syracuse I might (maybe :thumbsup: ) be able to understand because of the academic demand alone, but UF? UF? I went to a very demanding school and had a very busy schedule on and off campus. Many times we (fellow students) would talk with each other agonizing over whether we should take extra classes during summer recess or accept a co-op position or volunteer for community service (summer vacation? who had time for vacation?) in order to enhance our marketability after graduation. And believe me it wasn't a matter of getting a 10 million dollar signing bonus vs 30 mill or more in our case. Often times we had to sacrifice one thing for another if it meant better job opportunities later. Even if Tebow isn't about the money, the difference between a 10 mill and 30 mill plus signing bonus can go a long way in charity or missionary work if that's where his heart is at. I'm sorry but I can't understand why anyone (not just Tebow) couldn't schedule the time to improve his mechanics to be of better use to an NFL team IMMEDIATELY and get more money in the process (not that I agree with throwing big money at rookies but that's the way it is). after all he DOES want to be in the NFL. who can argue that there would be no question of being a first round pic if he had scheduled a little time to improve on his own each year before graduation?

Like most others I thought you were thinking of Tebow. It is ineresting tha you weren't.

Even if a schools academic standards aren't the highest, there is still a lot of time a student must dedicate to attending classes and at least passing. On top of that, I would guess that the programs have not only a pretty full calendar but also likely have restrictions on what their athletes can do outside of practice. My guess is that there is simply not enough time to allow for developing college and pro skills simultaneously.

It is the same in any endeavor. Why doesn't a great lawyer also get his CPA because he can make more money with both titles?

Rich or poor, black or white, we all have only 24 hours a day.

The last thing a college HC wants to do, IMO, is take an uber successful college player and start screwing with his throwing motion. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

How have "throwing mechanics" hurt him so far? And how will they hurt him in the NFL? Everybody here talks about his mechanics being a liability, but other than repeating what others have said, can anyone specifically describe what will happen after the ball leaves Tebow's hand in the NFL that did not happen in the SEC?

Also, practicing under center is great but he, like all NFL QBs will take the majority of snaps from the shotgun.

You're missing the other 8,000,000 Tebow threads! But, point taken. :bag:

How have "throwing mechanics" hurt him so far? And how will they hurt him in the NFL? Everybody here talks about his mechanics being a liability, but other than repeating what others have said, can anyone specifically describe what will happen after the ball leaves Tebow's hand in the NFL that did not happen in the SEC?

Also, practicing under center is great but he, like all NFL QBs will take the majority of snaps from the shotgun.

Bernie Kosar had a side arm throwing motion but the players have gotten bigger since then. (I don't know how Kosar's throwing motion compares to Tebow though.) IIRC, Jim Kelly would host some NFL QB's every summer for a BBQ at his place and they'd have a competition to see who could throw a football through a hanging tire. Supposedly Kosar was the only one who could do it consistently.

I'm not using that in support of Tebow, just making an observation.

You're missing the other 8,000,000 Tebow threads! But, point taken. :w00t:

honestly, did you actually read my post? you know that you didn't so why reply... :ph34r:

anyway thanks guys for the replies, i see that i really didn't miss anything at all!