Anyone ever take a cross country trip?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - if you want to get there quick, you're going to drive through some of the least interesting stuff this country has to offer (Iowa, Nebraska). But if you want to do it right...

1) When you get to Chicago, stay on I90 West which cuts northwest so that you can get to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore & Badlands National Park

2) In Wyoming get off the 90 on 16/20 to Yellowstone. Then down 89 to Grand Teton National Park

3) In Idaho, Craters of the Moon is semi-cool

4) South to Reno, NV

5) on to Yosemite. Kings Canyon National Park is also cool, as is Sequoia National Park

On the way back, take a more southern route, through Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Denver/Boulder, KC, St. Louis, Indy.

Yeah, I've done this.

OK - if you want to get there quick, you're going to drive through some of the least interesting stuff this country has to offer (Iowa, Nebraska). But if you want to do it right...

1) When you get to Chicago, stay on I90 West which cuts northwest so that you can get to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore & Badlands National Park

2) In Wyoming get off the 90 on 16/20 to Yellowstone. Then down 89 to Grand Teton National Park

4) South to Reno, NV

5) on to Yosemite. Kings Canyon National Park is also cool, as is Sequoia National Park

On the way back, take a more southern route, through Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Denver/Boulder, KC, St. Louis, Indy.

Yeah, I've done this.

Hell of a trip

4) South to Reno, NV

Yeah, I've done this.

Great trip!

BTW, Hamdan's, if you drive with someone, my advice is to back a couple of baseball mitts and a ball, maybe a football. Stopping once or twice a day to relax a little can really take the edge off the drive, IMO.

Of course I would also have some cold ones on ice for that stop, and maybe some mild cheeb. But I'm not saying you should do that. I'm not SAYING that, at least not here. :thumbsup:

I drove from Hartford to Silicon Valley in 1995. Had a rental truck and towed my car. Got on the road just before sunrise and drove until about 45 min before sunset. Picked a destination and made a reservation for that evening.

Wyoming has a lot of exits on 80, but most are just two dirt roads going north and south to the horizon.

Ended up staying in Buffalo (mom's house), middle of Illinois (locked the keys in the truck), Omaha, Laramie, Salt Lake City, and Reno.

If I remember right, the first thing you need to do is to buy a Wagon Queen Family Truckster station wagon.

Then, you need to find a girl who is driving a Ferrari 308 GTS.

Then, you can visit your Cousin Eddie outside Las Vegas.

Don't forget to drag Aunt Edna behind and PLEASE check to ensure the park is open when you get there.

Id be starting from rochester NY

oh, so you're not exactly driving "across" the "entire" country. well, that changes everything.

sorry, couldn't resist.

jw

have done this several times.

-- you need loud and obnoxious music, because the drive is boring, and you'll need something to prod you to keep going.

-- once you hit a town, make sure you find the local diner, and not some appledonald's joint in a strip mall.

-- liquor. because the night's can get boring in crap motel rooms.

-- a trusty roadmap, in case you do intend to get off the highway and check out something off the beaten path.

-- a keen sense of spirit, because roadtrips such as these don't come along very often.

jw

I drove from San Diego to Buffalo. I wish I had taken pictures along the way, one of my few regrets in life.

Gas was cheap then so I took my time, 4 days 3 nights in hotels.

If you go the AAA way way I did there if you run into a steakhouse anywhere in the Oklahoma stop and eat. You wont regret it.

Once you see the mountains in AZ and drive threw them all I can say is wow.

Take your favorite music, this is a must it will make the drive much better and when you get near the major towns turn on the radio see what you can get. Don't forget to stop every 3 hours to walk a bit it helps alot and you wont get as tired.

Drive from Sunup to Sundown and get to your hotel before it gets dark so you can find out where to eat without getting lost.

Great trip!

BTW, Hamdan's, if you drive with someone, my advice is to back a couple of baseball mitts and a ball, maybe a football. Stopping once or twice a day to relax a little can really take the edge off the drive, IMO.

Of course I would also have some cold ones on ice for that stop, and maybe some mild cheeb. But I'm not saying you should do that. I'm not SAYING that, at least not here. :thumbsup:

Dude I'll say it for ya

Smoke it if you got it, but don't drink until you get to the hotel, drinking will get you tired.

If you go the AAA way way I did there if you run into a steakhouse anywhere in the Oklahoma stop and eat. You wont regret it.

avoid Oklahoma like the plague, you won't regret it. Awful awful place with boring scenery. Ridiculously high speed limit, but unless you take 66 through Tulsa you'll be looking at a whole lot of nothing. 75 mph limit, but staring at the vast sadness fields does not make it worthwhile. Plus you'll be in Oklahoma :thumbsup:

I lived in Stillwater, OK for three years. The day I left was the single greatest day of my life.

Dude I'll say it for ya

Smoke it if you got it, but don't drink until you get to the hotel, drinking will get you tired.

I think you mean drinking gets YOU tired.

What you said is exactly the reverse for me, usually. I can function much better, and stay awake longer, after a couple of drinks than after even one hit of good smoke.

I understand this is a very individual matter, though. Let's agree he should find the balance that works for him.

Don't forget to drag Aunt Edna behind and PLEASE check to ensure the park is open when you get there.

No, it's the dog you drag behind the car, Aunt Edna you strap to the rocking chair on top of the car when she dies halfway there.

I think you mean drinking gets YOU tired.

What you said is exactly the reverse for me, usually. I can function much better, and stay awake longer, after a couple of drinks than after even one hit of good smoke.

I understand this is a very individual matter, though. Let's agree he should find the balance that works for him.

Lol i dont think ill be tokin up on the trip as i gave that up about a year ago but ill feel it out

4) South to Reno, NV

Yeah, I've done this.

If you want scenic...

Better yet... Drive through Ontario and Michigan and take the ferry across Lake Michigan from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI.

Lake Express