Anyone ever take a cross country trip?

OK - if you want to get there quick, you're going to drive through some of the least interesting stuff this country has to offer (Iowa, Nebraska). But if you want to do it right...

1) When you get to Chicago, stay on I90 West which cuts northwest so that you can get to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore & Badlands National Park

2) In Wyoming get off the 90 on 16/20 to Yellowstone. Then down 89 to Grand Teton National Park

3) In Idaho, Craters of the Moon is semi-cool

4) South to Reno, NV

5) on to Yosemite. Kings Canyon National Park is also cool, as is Sequoia National Park

On the way back, take a more southern route, through Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Denver/Boulder, KC, St. Louis, Indy.

Yeah, I've done this.

We did the opposite route on our epic Family Vacation. (Substituted a Merc station wagon for the Truckster, and didn't take the dog or Aunt Edna, but other parts of that movie seem eerily familiar. But I digress.) Gateway Arch, Texas panhandle, Grand Canyon, etc. on the way out, then north to Yellowstone. There's a place called Jenny Lake about 30 miles south of Jackson Hole that I could have stayed at forever. Guess the movie stars and other rich-and-famous have taken that area over since then, though.

Got chased through Cheyenne by a tornado; shortly after that, Mom (who was driving at the time) decided she'd had enough fun cooped up in a car with three kids, so we did 700+ miles in one day to get home.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

avoid Oklahoma like the plague, you won't regret it. Awful awful place with boring scenery. Ridiculously high speed limit, but unless you take 66 through Tulsa you'll be looking at a whole lot of nothing. 75 mph limit, but staring at the vast sadness fields does not make it worthwhile. Plus you'll be in Oklahoma :thumbsup:

I lived in Stillwater, OK for three years. The day I left was the single greatest day of my life.

I took route 66, only for part of the way, stay in Tulsa overnight, i had a good time there. Your right there is very little to see.

I like the 75 mph,people were still passing me like crazy and I was pushing 80.

I took route 66, only for part of the way, stay in Tulsa overnight, i had a good time there. Your right there is very little to see.

I like the 75 mph,people were still passing me like crazy and I was pushing 80.

66 through Tulsa can be pretty amazing. it's like driving through 1957--lots of neon and chrome. Tulsa also has some stuff going on. You can go to Tulsa and have a good enough time. The rest of the state should be banned. Can we ban a state? We should ban Oklahoma.

OK - if you want to get there quick, you're going to drive through some of the least interesting stuff this country has to offer (Iowa, Nebraska). But if you want to do it right...

1) When you get to Chicago, stay on I90 West which cuts northwest so that you can get to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore & Badlands National Park

2) In Wyoming get off the 90 on 16/20 to Yellowstone. Then down 89 to Grand Teton National Park

3) In Idaho, Craters of the Moon is semi-cool

4) South to Reno, NV

5) on to Yosemite. Kings Canyon National Park is also cool, as is Sequoia National Park

On the way back, take a more southern route, through Colorado. Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Denver/Boulder, KC, St. Louis, Indy.

Yeah, I've done this.

That is a hell of a trip..Ive actually beren to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons..any other suggestions?

Also i may get to work in the bolded parks as well as yosemtie

I did this in 2006 with an old friend when I moved out here from Poughkeepsie. My route:

I-84/I-81/I-80

I-80 through PA, OH, IN to Chicago.

I-55 down to St. Louis

I-70 through Kansas City to Denver.

I-25/I-80 to Salt Lake

I-15 to I-84 through Boise and the Blue Mountains

I-82 to I-90 to where I am now.

Lots of great things to see on that route.