Anyone ever take a cross country trip?

Im working on securing an internship in Yosemite National Park in Californina. If i get the job i am required to have a car so i would have to drive (they pay for travel expenses)

Ive always wanted to drive accross the country but ive never driven farthur than the outer banks in NC and i was about 14 so i didnt drive. Has anyone ever done this?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im working on securing an internship in Yosemite National Park in Californina. If i get the job i am required to have a car so i would have to drive (they pay for travel expenses)

Ive always wanted to drive accross the country but ive never driven farthur than the outer banks in NC and i was about 14 so i didnt drive. Has anyone ever done this?

No,you will be the first :lol: What are you asking?

Yeah, went from WNY to Central California many years ago. You'll do better if you get yourself someone to share the trip, but you'll be amazed by what you see as you travel across this great land. Give yourself as much time as possible, do plenty of research and map your route. See as much as you can, eat local whenever possible.

Once you get to Yosemite you'll realize that you aint seen nothing yet.

I've done it a few times. Interstate driving can be boring as a dog's ass. I'd suggest taking local highways. It'll add a day to your trip, but you actually get to see stuff out your window.

also make sure to bring Van Halen II and The Stooges first 3 albums. Thank me later

Id be starting from rochester NY

Well first order of business. Make sure you get your last garbage plate at Nick's before you go...just allow 48 hours for it to pass before you get the on the road :lol:

Ok just off the top of my head looking at the map here's a list:

Cleveland OH

• Lucky’s Café (Amazing Reubens)

• Geraci’s Pizza (Amazing Pizza)

Chicago

• Al’s Beef (Italian Beef Sandwich)

Omaha

• Big Mama’s (Gotta have the fried chicken)

Cheyenne WY

Here you could take a little side trek south to Fort Collins and visit the Bud brewery or head over to Laramie and check out The Library brew pub.

Salt Lake City

• Lone Star Taqueria (Have a tamale or 6)

Reno

• Dish Café

Sacramento

• Jamie’s (Uncle raves about the clam chowder there)

Stockton

• Valley Brewing (It’s been a long drive, grab yourself a good crafted pint)

Now most of these places a bit off the interstate, but hey how many times are you going to drive across the US. Take some times to smell the roses and eat the good eats. I have eaten at most of these places except Lone Star and the ones in Cali, but have friends and family who have been there. I travel a lot and I always eat local…I mean cmon a Big Mac tastes the same wherever you go, gotta have some variety in life.

Get in the car and head southwest...get a road map(if they make them anymore) or a AAA trip ticket or use your Tom Tom(mine has the chick with the British accent...(I like).

It's a great liberating experience and adventure for you.

LOL nice to hear i'm not the only guy with a british chick giving me directions. My wife asked me, "why does the garmin lady have a british accent now?" I said, "because i had too much trouble understanding the italian chick."

also make sure to bring Van Halen II and The Stooges first 3 albums. Thank me later

He'll be driving his brother's '93 Fiero and the stereo has a cassette stuck in it playing The Proclaimers' "500 Miles (I'm Gonna Be)" on a continuous loop.

"No it's okay. It comes around again."

:thumbsup:

I drove from Boston to California in December of 1989. I drove from California to Long Island in the late 1990's. On both trips I went to sporting events across the country.

I had to take the Southern route on both trips to visit my sister (in FLA) and brother (in New Orleans at the time). I went to College Football Bowl games on the way to California. On the return trip I took in several College Basketball games. Even got to see a game at the Dean Dome.

I really want to make the trip at least once more. The theme? Horse Racing!

Also, on both trips I had a good friend take part of the trip with me. A good fun female friend is recommended, if one of your best buddies can't make it.