If all we did was plug in a Pro Bowl QB to last years team

papazoid

let's just say for the sake of arguement we replaced Trent Edwards with a pro bowl level QB ( like Rivers, Rodgers, Romo or McNabb) ......not an ALL PRO level like (Manning, Brees or Brady)......how many more wins would we have had from last years team if that was the only difference and everything else stayed exactly the same (players, injuries, etc...) ??

do the exact same thing at Left Tackle,.....plug in a pro bowl level LT (like Roos, Diehl, Long or Gross)....not ALL PRO like Clady or Thomas).

i know we need BOTH a QB & LT but i would rather have a below average QB with an Pro Bowl LT than a pro Bowl QB with a below average LT. the left tackle helps in both facets of the offense....RUNNING and passing.

in another thread someone made a point about how good Fitzpatrick and the bills looked against INDY at the end of the season when he had plenty of protection against indy's second string.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need improvement in plenty of areas don't we Papa? The Bills are currently a minor league franchise. They've made steps to help the defense (short term) during FA, but there's plenty more to do. Team needs a QB, OTs, NT and depth everywhere.

The line was a disaster last year. Despite the line, with Evans and Owens to throw to, coupled with Jackson's amazing abilities out of the backfield, those are some serious weapons for a QB to utilize.

We had a few close games (five losses by a TD or less) so I can't help but believe that we would've won those if we had a pro bowl QB like you suggest. Therefore we would've gone 11-5 and made the playoffs.

What a difference a legit QB could make!

let's just say for the sake of arguement we replaced Trent Edwards with a pro bowl level QB ( like Rivers, Rodgers, Romo or McNabb) ......not an ALL PRO level like (Manning, Brees or Brady)......how many more wins would we have had from last years team if that was the only difference and everything else stayed exactly the same (players, injuries, etc...) ??

do the exact same thing at Left Tackle,.....plug in a pro bowl level LT (like Roos, Diehl, Long or Gross)....not ALL PRO like Clady or Thomas).

i know we need BOTH a QB & LT but i would rather have a below average QB with an Pro Bowl LT than a pro Bowl QB with a below average LT. the left tackle helps in both facets of the offense....RUNNING and passing.

in another thread someone made a point about how good Fitzpatrick and the bills looked against INDY at the end of the season when he had plenty of protection against indy's second string.

Don't know the answer other than to say we obviously could have won a few more games with a better QB who could accurately get the ball down field. Trent won't throw down field at all; Fitz will but he lacks accuracy and zip.

I would rather have a Pro Bowl QB than a Pro Bowler at any other position. Very few Super Bowls are won by teams with average QBs. It has happened in the past but that is far from the norm. You cannot win with a below average QB in the NFL. Defenses are too good. Not gonna happen.

I just want a solid, above average LT that is reliable, smart, big and mean.

I don't know what your point is on the Bills beating Indy's JV team. It proves nothing.

QB: 2 (assuming the same oline)

LT: 1 (assuming he was healthy all season)

If the line we had just stayed healthy for the entire season: 4

I don't think the problem was any one position, but I do think an LT would have made more of a difference than the QB. There was so much turnover at all those positions, I don't think any LT would have made that huge of a difference other than the assumption that he was healthy all year. As soon as Butler went down, we were sunk.

If this All Pro QB can return kicks without fumbling then we would have won 2 more-New England and Cleveland.

Guest dog14787

I know our pro bowl level QB would be asking to be traded right about now if he made it through the season without getting a career ending injury.

Let's see...

Bills @ Pats: Trent wasn't horrible in that game, but I have to believe that a Pro Bowl QB would have gotten us into field goal range on that final drive.

Cleveland @ Bills: A Pro Bowl QB puts up at least 6 points against the Cleveland D.

Bills @ Jags: That was game that the Bills almost won with mediocre play from Fitz.

Pats @ Bills: The Bills arguably outplayed the Pats in that game but found a way to lose because of a couple big plays and untimely penalties.

Bills @ Jets: Offense was totally inept -- but still had a chance to win until the very end.

That is 5 games I count. Not to mention games like the Saints and Texans ones whose outcome may have been different if the offense hadn't put the defense in a bad situation for 3+ quarters.

Guest dog14787
Let's see...

Bills @ Pats: Trent wasn't horrible in that game, but I have to believe that a Pro Bowl QB would have gotten us into field goal range on that final drive.

Cleveland @ Bills: A Pro Bowl QB puts up at least 6 points against the Cleveland D.

Bills @ Jags: That was game that the Bills almost won with mediocre play from Fitz.

Pats @ Bills: The Bills arguably outplayed the Pats in that game but found a way to lose because of a couple big plays and untimely penalties.

Bills @ Jets: Offense was totally inept -- but still had a chance to win until the very end.

That is 5 games I count. Not to mention games like the Saints and Texans ones whose outcome may have been different if the offense hadn't put the defense in a bad situation for 3+ quarters.

Good QB + pathetic O-line/ coaching = failure, but you guys can spin it any way you want.

This idea that a QB will come riding into town on a white stallion and magically make our problems all go away is unrealistic. Could it make the difference in a game or two, possibly, until he gets his brains scrambled like TE did then we're right back to where we started.

The Bills had a Pro bowl LT with a mediocre (at best QB) and they couldn't get past 7-9, how much worse were they without that Pro Bowl LT and a revolving door o-line?
They did indeed, too bad they had two crap guards and a totally crap center.

I watched that Jets game where Kris Jenkins was TRIPLE teamed by those three losers and he still got to the QB!

This year the center and both guards we so much improved that if the Bills had signed Michael Oher at started him at LT, then the entire season would have been different. Even if they had drafted Phil Loadholt in the 2nd round it would have been better then Maybin.

Lets face facts, Maybin was a wasted draft pick last season and the Bills should have used that pick to draft a tackle to replace Jason Peters.

Maybe it was for the best after all because with that one move Dick Jauron managed to get himself fired. :lol:

I know....and if I just would have had just one more correct number I would have won $1,000. lottery but I picked the wrong number...and if I would have picked number 12 and 78 instead of 7 and 81 I would have been a millionare !!!!!!

It's just amazing how close I was and what a big difference a number or two would have made in my life!!!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And just think if N.O. never picked up Drew Breeze they probably would have won less games right? Duh! Of course, the QB and LT means everything to a team! You just don't get them like getting a card in a hand of poker..It's no mistake that

Bill Polian assembled a team in Indy in the Image of the Bills team of the early 90's. He knows what he's doing, Parcells knows what he's doing, Belicheat knows what he's doing, A.J. Smith knows what he's doing !! Things just don't happen...and one change isn't small when it comes to skill positions! We just haven't had the right people on top pushing the right buttons and that's what it amounts to. Look at last year...Bryan Orakapo falls right in our laps and all we had to do was fill out a card with his name on it! Instead, we probably asked fellow alumni Paul Pozinjury "Hey, what do you think about that kid you played with at Penn State, Maybin?"....Of course Pozinjury makes him sound like Gold and the Bills instead select the 5th rated DE in the draft Aaron Maybe Maybin even though #1 rated Orakapo is the best available. I tell you I wanted to punch their War room personnel right in the mouth!!! So, knowing how the Bills work it and Modrak is still a bafoon and still here look for them to draft a player that they shouldn't this year! One of the players that is considered the biggest risk at OT in this draft is Trent Williams OT !! The Sporting News talks about his lack of work ethic, he takes plays off etc..Sounds like Mike Williams !! So, I would almost put money on it that the Bills will draft him. I sometimes wonder if their is a consipiracy theory that the organization itself is trying to pound itself into the ground in order to reduce interest locally in the team, therefore limiting potential season ticketholders from renewing their tickets and therefore

creating less resistance to the notion of the Bills relocating in the future.

Actually I think the questions of what would be like if we had Pro Bowlers instead of Fitz or the cast of folks who played LT last year is likely obvious as in every close game. In the case of replacement of either position be it a QB who simply carried the team Brett Farve like (meaning a stud QB can deliver winning seeming virtually by himself or he can also lose a few games with bad choices even if he is a Pro Bolwer) but my sense is a Pro Bowl LT likely gives the Bills such a go-behind guy on the left side they run for and pick up a critical 1st down or 2 each game they were unable to get so a Pro Bowl LT also likely delivers demonstrable winning advantage IF reality could be altered.

However, it cannot so it brings us to the actual question the Bills face:

A. What are the chances the Bills pick up a ProBowl LT this off-season?

Virtually nil as Chad Clifton appears to be about the best you can do in FA right now as Scouts .com ranks none other than Mike Gandy as the best UFA out there after Clifton at T. The best shot at getting a Pro Bowl level LT comes if they draft a tip T prospect and train and luck into him being a hyper stud. Could happen but pretty doubtful.

B. The chances of acquiring a stud enough QB in FA are limited with Derrick Anderson and Delhomme about the best you can do from UFAs. The prospects of getting even a credible QB for next year in the draft are less than nil.

There is virtually no possibility also that we can find a QB capable of leading this lack of character production on the field happen from drafting one of the prominent rookies.

Rookies have no history of leading teams to a winning (much less playoff making level without a stud team around them (I do not remember any but lots of history so if anyone chooses to believe in rookie QBs leading a team immediately to victory please educate me and the others reading TSW with the example.

Worse yet, this rookie QB likely gets killed by the DBQ and in my miind would be lucky to survive the season.

5 more wins. When a team actually BELIEVES they can win, when a defense actually believes that the offense can score and the defense isn't on the field all game, the attitude is completely different. Also, guys are more willing to play hurt. What was the point last season, of goingout on the field with even a slight injury when you knew nothing was going to come of it. The players end up thinking "I'm better off trying to get healthy".

I heard an interview with Tim Brown where he talked about guys that are playing "for their legacy", how rare these guys are, and that most players are playing for a paycheck.

There can't be a single player on these Bills that is playing to build a legacy. The Bills teams from the 90's had at least a 4-5.

Attitude is everything, and it's hard to generate much without a decent QB (go ahead, hit me with the Ravens or some defensive juggernaut, that's the rare exception).

I know....and if I just would have had just one more correct number I would have won $1,000. lottery but I picked the wrong number...and if I would have picked number 12 and 78 instead of 7 and 81 I would have been a millionare !!!!!!

It's just amazing how close I was and what a big difference a number or two would have made in my life!!!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And just think if N.O. never picked up Drew Breeze they probably would have won less games right? Duh! Of course, the QB and LT means everything to a team! You just don't get them like getting a card in a hand of poker..It's no mistake that

Bill Polian assembled a team in Indy in the Image of the Bills team of the early 90's. He knows what he's doing, Parcells knows what he's doing, Belicheat knows what he's doing, A.J. Smith knows what he's doing !! Things just don't happen...and one change isn't small when it comes to skill positions! We just haven't had the right people on top pushing the right buttons and that's what it amounts to. Look at last year...Bryan Orakapo falls right in our laps and all we had to do was fill out a card with his name on it! Instead, we probably asked fellow alumni Paul Pozinjury "Hey, what do you think about that kid you played with at Penn State, Maybin?"....Of course Pozinjury makes him sound like Gold and the Bills instead select the 5th rated DE in the draft Aaron Maybe Maybin even though #1 rated Orakapo is the best available. I tell you I wanted to punch their War room personnel right in the mouth!!! So, knowing how the Bills work it and Modrak is still a bafoon and still here look for them to draft a player that they shouldn't this year! One of the players that is considered the biggest risk at OT in this draft is Trent Williams OT !! The Sporting News talks about his lack of work ethic, he takes plays off etc..Sounds like Mike Williams !! So, I would almost put money on it that the Bills will draft him. I sometimes wonder if their is a consipiracy theory that the organization itself is trying to pound itself into the ground in order to reduce interest locally in the team, therefore limiting potential season ticketholders from renewing their tickets and therefore

creating less resistance to the notion of the Bills relocating in the future.

I honestly don't care anymore...

The Bills have an owner who wants to run the org like a k-mart, with no Bill Polian type of a GM to prod this man into spending money on the right moves, he simply makes moves to save money everywhere he can.

For some inexplicable reason Bills fans keep buying season tickets and the stadium keeps selling out game after game, year after year, despite the losing records and an offense that has been 25th or worse for 10 years. Dunno, maybe it is the beer goggles. :lol:

I tend to agree, although Kurt Warner was 1 errant throw away from winning a SB with our cast-off Mike Gandy at LT! How does that happen? It's all about having the right people in the right situations. There is no secret formula. Trent Dilfer won a SB with the Ravens and they cut him the next year, the Ravens haven't won one since. It's all about timing. We lost 4 SB's to 1 very good and 3 great teams in the 90's. If we had played any of the Pats opponents I feel we would have won several rings as well. "On any given day"