Our D could be Killer

Stroud makes more sense at NT than DE to me. Is he really fast enough to get around the corner? I thought Maybin had the fastest first step in the universe which can't be coached. Why not give him another shot at DE instead of trying to make him into something he's not? Otherwise, yeah, I think our D could be pretty good next year. Wasn't bad last year.

A 3-4 end may play similarly to a 4-3 Tackle and the Linebacker would play the 'end' position. It depends a lot on the scheme though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, Schobel came out and said it isn't about the money so we know it's a question of money. How much and if the Bills are willing to commit to the number of years he's going to want is the question.

In that case, seeing as it's time for an actual rebuild, I can see them letting him 'retire'.

Are you joking? Schobel's case is probably the one situation where it really isn't about the money. Look at his existing long-term contract...compare it to other starting DE's...come back with your result...

Yeah just because Maybin played end in a 4-3 does not mean he is built for end in the 3-4. You have to take on blockers, shed said blockers, find the ball and make a tackle. No where in that description does it say run up field as fast and far as possible.

I don't think Schobel is coming back..

I spoke with a couple of Bills trainers who have gotten to know him. They all said he had been talking all year about retiring. That he just wants to go hangout on his ranch and enjoy life. They said they really did not believe he would be back. That he does not care about money.

well, Schobel came out and said it isn't about the money so we know it's a question of money. How much and if the Bills are willing to commit to the number of years he's going to want is the question.

In that case, seeing as it's time for an actual rebuild, I can see them letting him 'retire'.

He doesn't have to play next year to get his 2 mil bonus all he has to do is pass the physical. That said he has stated that he will only take the physical if he intends to play, and if he intends to play it will be in Buffalo.

A 3-4 end may play similarly to a 4-3 Tackle and the Linebacker would play the 'end' position. It depends a lot on the scheme though.

Don't bother, these people just don't get the 3-4. Hopefuly they will get it over the next few years.

I'm usually negative about the Bills, because they are awful. However! I see a ray of light in the 3-4 if we can get Kennedy and draft a Fat NT.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

That set up could be killer. Seriously.

Another proposed line-up with 7 question marks at 7 positions.... if 5-7 are the answer, they could be killer. Most likely 2-3 are the answer if the Bills are lucky.

Stroud makes more sense at NT than DE to me. Is he really fast enough to get around the corner? I thought Maybin had the fastest first step in the universe which can't be coached. Why not give him another shot at DE instead of trying to make him into something he's not? Otherwise, yeah, I think our D could be pretty good next year. Wasn't bad last year.

Maybin is to small to play DE in the NFL at this moment. If he could put on 25 to 30 LBS he might be ok. Putting him at OLB he can stay around the weight he is and still be effective. He can still rush from the outside and small enough to get back with quicks to cover the back field or a TE. I like the move to OLB. Besides, he was a DE for one year at Penn State. It's not like he has been playing that for his entire life. He can change and maybe he will find it will only benefit him to do so :censored:

I'm usually negative about the Bills, because they are awful. However! I see a ray of light in the 3-4 if we can get Kennedy and draft a Fat NT.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

This is your dream?

Wow! Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

Your dream is very mediocre.

Interesting dream. To make it come true, Schobel has to decide to continue playing, Maybin would have to learn how to play linebacker football, Stroud and Kennedy would have to get younger to play end and the fat NT would have to be a really good one. But hey, dreams sometimes come true. If yours does, I'll be really happy and believe everything you say in the future.

Fixed

This is your dream?

Wow! Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

Your dream is very mediocre.

Throw the guy a bone. I understand his desire here. I too am sick of most of the posting brain-dead on this page who just say we'll suck, blah, blah.

But let's be realistic. If we sign Kennedy and draft a NT, it's still a line with two DT's (Stroud and KW) who haven't played DE. It's two DE's (Maybin, Kelsay or AS) who have never played LB. It's not clear they can make the switch. in Maybin's case, he's got to prove he belongs on the field in any position. It's going to take a few years to get the right people on the bus and playing together. I will bet the ranch we play more modified 4-3 sets than what you would call a basic 3-4 this next year. It's going to be a rebuilding year. After 47 years following the team, that's a tough thing to face. But, hey guys, man-up and let's let Buddy get it done.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

So, where's the pass rush going to come from? This is not as good a pass rush group as the Bills had last year (Williams is better than "Fat Draftee" and Kelsay is a better pass rusher than Kennedy. The rest is the same. If Schobel retires, then I really wonder who's going to provide the pass rush... Joey Porter?

our defense was decent last year. they kept us in almost every game until the 4th quarter. but there is only so much you can do when the unit is on the field for 35-45 minutes a game. we held Super Bowl Champs New Orleans to what, 10 points half way through the 4th quarter. Until our spineless coach made it obvious he wasnt really trying and the team laid down. but i digress...

the defense wasnt the problem last year. they could use a better run D, for sure. and they need a better pass rush. but if we had a halfway decent offense, last year's D was good enough for a playoff team.

i think some talent is there. it just needs to be utilized. and a couple additions wouldnt hurt either, of course.

I don't agree w/ the mediocrity crap. IF Schobel stays the only problem I see would be injuries. I know it's popular to just say everything sucks and whine and B word like a goddam puss, but we had a good defense last year and a few tweaks could make it even better.

Stroud isn't a NT in 4-3, why would he be in 3-4. It is questionable on his foot speed for outside rush, but he is very quick and is perfect for the DE playing inside the Rush LB, since would be taking inside move more often than not. My main worry is his ability to seal the edge on outside run plays, if LB on his side isn't doing containment.

His strength is perfect asset for DE in 3-4, so think he will do well.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

Any more guys playing out of position?

Maybe Ellison can move to SS.

Here's my dream:

ROLB Schobel

LOLB Maybin

MLB Mitchell

MLB Poz

DE Stroud

DE Kennedy

DT Fat Draftee (Cody?)

Considering Maybin is a bust, Schobel is a 4-3DE, and Mitchell is recovering from an ACL, that might just give us the worst LB core in the league.

On top of that, you left our the front 7s best player in K.Williams.

He is not fat enough to play DT.

As a 3-4 DE, he is not supposed to get around the corner, just collapse the pocket (which is perfect for him).

IMHO, Maybin is an OLB, not a DE.