One Nation Under God

Beerball

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people even care about this? I'm about as agnositc as you get, and I fail to see how this could possibly matter. One nation under god, one nation under allah, one nation under gary busey...who cares? It's just words, people.

These words are a wedge to get the toe of religion into the door of state. How many times have you heard evangelicals point to the pledge or a dollar bill and proclaim it as proof that America is a Christian nation? Don't kid yourself. These words are as heavy as they get.

PTR

These words are a wedge to get the toe of religion into the door of state. How many times have you heard evangelicals point to the pledge or a dollar bill and proclaim it as proof that America is a Christian nation? Don't kid yourself. These words are as heavy as they get.

PTR

And I would say that they're just as bad (or worse) as this guy taking it to court. I don't like it, but it's not something I'm going to spend money/time on.

Besides, when an evangelical says that, you might as well slap a "stupid" sticker on them right then and there. God =/= Jesus.

PTR

I have heard this, but I prefer to just ignore these dumbasses. I'd be concerned if these people were the majority, but they're not. I'd actually argue that the tide is shifting the other way. More and more Americans are beginning to label themselves agnostic, and the great majority of Americans don't actually take their religion as seriously as its portrayed. The idiots are just louder, so it seems like there are more of them.

I have heard this, but I prefer to just ignore these dumbasses. I'd be concerned if these people were the majority, but they're not. I'd actually argue that the tide is shifting the other way. More and more Americans are beginning to label themselves agnostic, and the great majority of Americans don't actually take their religion as seriously as its portrayed. The idiots are just louder, so it seems like there are more of them.

Really?

Don't blame the words for people's idiocy.

Never ceases to amaze me that liberal types get so worked up over relatively small things like this. Like god will be some sort of intrusive evil force that will take over the country and the young if reference to him/her/whatever is on the dollar etc. They happily and passively accept the government taking half of their hard earned money for what? Taxation? Talk about intrusive forces. Just because we all grew up paying taxes doesn't make it right. To me its outright theft to support the self serving business that is government. People just to dumb to open their eyes or simply can't see because vision is clouded by bull **** like this.

So just how objective are the questions in a BeliefNet survey? Can you say "Push Poll"?

Might this poll be a bit more accurate? Who's to say?

Let me take a stab at this...

Never ceases to amaze me that liberal conservative types get so worked up over relatively small things like this. Like god God small government-libertarians will be some sort of intrusive evil force that will take over the country and the young if reference to him/her/whatever is isn't on the dollar fiat currency destined for worthlessness etc. They happily and passively accept the government taking half of their hard earned money and handing it to Goldman Sachs for what? Taxation TARP? Talk about intrusive forces. Just because we all grew up paying taxes doesn't make it right. To me its it's outright theft to support the self serving business banking lobby that is government. People just to too dumb to open their eyes or simply can't see because vision is clouded by bull **** like this.

It's like Mad-Libs, really. :censored:

/this thread is probably destined for PPP.

Never ceases to amaze me that liberal types get so worked up over relatively small things like this. Like god will be some sort of intrusive evil force that will take over the country and the young if reference to him/her/whatever is on the dollar etc. They happily and passively accept the government taking half of their hard earned money for what? Taxation? Talk about intrusive forces. Just because we all grew up paying taxes doesn't make it right. To me its outright theft to support the self serving business that is government. People just to dumb to open their eyes or simply can't see because vision is clouded by bull **** like this.

It's not just liberals that freak out over small things while much bigger issues go unnoticed. Conservatives do it too. Just on different issues. IMO the words in our pledge of allegiance have no effect on our culture. How about something that really has affected our culture in this country but is never mentioned by either side,like working on Sundays and holidays. There was a time when most everything except for emergency type services shut down on Sundays and holidays. No more. Now a large segment of our society is forced to work on days that used to be reserved for rest and family. Sundays and holidays are no different than Monday thru Friday for many now. That has had a much larger effect on our culture than silly issues like this that are fought over by whack jobs on both sides.

So just how objective are the questions in a BeliefNet survey? Can you say "Push Poll"?

Might this poll be a bit more accurate? Who's to say?

Let me take a stab at this...

It's like Mad-Libs, really. :censored:

/this thread is probably destined for PPP.

Trinity College's American Religious Identification Survey is pretty widely accepted.

It's not just liberals that freak out over small things while much bigger issues go unnoticed. Conservatives do it too. Just on different issues. IMO the words in our pledge of allegiance have no effect on our culture. How about something that really has affected our culture in this country but is never mentioned by either side,like working on Sundays and holidays. There was a time when most everything except for emergency type services shut down on Sundays and holidays. No more. Now a large segment of our society is forced to work on days that used to be reserved for rest and family. Sundays and holidays are no different than Monday thru Friday for many now. That has had a much larger effect on our culture than silly issues like this that are fought over by whack jobs on both sides.

Agree. Mistake tagging just liberals.

I remember the Blue laws. And that day of rest. Sunday was for family. Sunday dinner wasn't a 5 PM thing...it was served around 2 to 3 PM.

There was still a "rurality" out there, if that's any sort of word. The first meal of the day was early - very early. 6 AM for me.

It's been over 20 years since I visited and did work in Germany...it was W. Germany, then. On Sunday, pastry shops were open early, then as evening approached, the taverns would come alive. Folks would stroll around between the two times, live music was common (not loud banger stuff), enjoy the weather if it was agreeable, and chat about this or that if they met.

After 6 PM during the week, most all of the shops would close down. You could fire a machine gun down Mainstrasse, and nobody would be around to notice!

Our church had pot-luck dinners every Sunday. They had a "rotating" list - one week, your family would offer up a main dish, the next, vegetable dish, next, a desert or a breadstuff, and so on. What a feast it was! We attended about once a month - we didn't have the stores to contribute weekly, and back then, taking unearned food from others was an insult to one's family and one's pride in same.

That's long gone by the wayside, starting in circa 1965...

I'll bet few here remember rutabaga sandwiches (or something named "forcemeat" made from saved offal). Peanut butter was a premium product, and bread was dear. Two thin slices of raw rutabaga with pb in between...yum! Root veggies were staples- turnips, beets, salsify, etc. Now they fetch a premium price.. :censored:

Gawd, I'm ancient. The population has more than doubled in my lifetime...

I remember the Blue laws. And that day of rest. Sunday was for family. Sunday dinner wasn't a 5 PM thing...it was served around 2 to 3 PM.

There was still a "rurality" out there, if that's any sort of word. The first meal of the day was early - very early. 6 AM for me.

It's been over 20 years since I visited and did work in Germany...it was W. Germany, then. On Sunday, pastry shops were open early, then as evening approached, the taverns would come alive. Folks would stroll around between the two times, live music was common (not loud banger stuff), enjoy the weather if it was agreeable, and chat about this or that if they met.

After 6 PM during the week, most all of the shops would close down. You could fire a machine gun down Mainstrasse, and nobody would be around to notice!

Our church had pot-luck dinners every Sunday. They had a "rotating" list - one week, your family would offer up a main dish, the next, vegetable dish, next, a desert or a breadstuff, and so on. What a feast it was! We attended about once a month - we didn't have the stores to contribute weekly, and back then, taking unearned food from others was an insult to one's family and one's pride in same.

That's long gone by the wayside, starting in circa 1965...

I'll bet few here remember rutabaga sandwiches (or something named "forcemeat" made from saved offal). Peanut butter was a premium product, and bread was dear. Two thin slices of raw rutabaga with pb in between...yum! Root veggies were staples- turnips, beets, salsify, etc. Now they fetch a premium price.. :censored:

Gawd, I'm ancient. The population has more than doubled in my lifetime...

Me and my wife have visited family in Venezuela and the Azores a few times and the style of life there is somewhat similar to what you speak of. Much slower pace. Lots of people don't start work till 9 or 10,and theres a hour or 2 brake in the afternoon. Everything seems to close around 6,except for restaurants and clubs. Life is much more centered around family,church and community. People don't work as hard and they enjoy LIFE. They also don't have nearly the material things we have here,but I think they're happier. They aren't running like rats on a wheel to survive. I hear things are slowly changing there too though.

Me and my wife have visited family in Venezuela and the Azores a few times and the style of life there is somewhat similar to what you speak of. Much slower pace. Lots of people don't start work till 9 or 10,and theres a hour or 2 brake in the afternoon. Everything seems to close around 6,except for restaurants and clubs. Life is much more centered around family,church and community. People don't work as hard and they enjoy LIFE. They also don't have nearly the material things we have here,but I think they're happier. They aren't running like rats on a wheel to survive. I hear things are slowly changing there too though.

That's why I see myself retiring in the Caribbean.

Oh but they are!

The same people who accuse Obama of trying to indoctrinate their children are guilty of the very same sinister intention. They just succeeded in Texas to rewrite school books, taking out or rewriting the parts that offend them. They take their victories an inch at a time, then before you know it they are in charge and we will have lost the very rights we say we cherish.

PTR

Oh but they are!

The same people who accuse Obama of trying to indoctrinate their children are guilty of the very same sinister intention. They just succeeded in Texas to rewrite school books, taking out or rewriting the parts that offend them. They take their victories an inch at a time, ten before you know it they are in charge and we will have lost the very rights we say we cherish.

PTR

that article is horrifying. I taught film and english comp at oklahoma state U for 3 years--kind of the same market. I was shocked how a very healthy minority of my students were barely literate. In one class only 8 of 22 passed. These super conservatives do not seem to understand the country is doomed if we do not have an honest and difficult education system. Education is not about reinforcing your beliefs, it's about being forced to question/defend what you believe.

Oh but they are!

The same people who accuse Obama of trying to indoctrinate their children are guilty of the very same sinister intention. They just succeeded in Texas to rewrite school books, taking out or rewriting the parts that offend them. They take their victories an inch at a time, then before you know it they are in charge and we will have lost the very rights we say we cherish.

PTR

You are not supposed to speak politics here, you know. You might get a nasty PM. Depending on your view. Delete your post and re-post in the PPP section, please. That's what I have been told.