Bills line up meeting with C.J. Spiller

bobcat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Williams is not the prospect Haloti Ngata was, so stop talking about him at #9. Williams is a late 1st rounder, even if Denver takes him at 10. If we get a 3rd for Lynch (Willis got us 2 of em'), Spiller would be awesome, and WORTH the draft slot.

I would normally say it would be insane for considering drafting an RB first round.. but this Spiller kids looks like a stud.. and seemly can break a big one every time he touches the ball. Trade Lynch, draft Spiller and draft OT round 2.. look for one of the QB's round 3.. get a couple FA's in the door on the OL.. give Brohm a shot to complete for starter.

Bills trade #9 to 49er's to grab Spiller. Bills receive #17 and second round pick. Let's do it.

If Gailey and Nix are as good as their past records indicate, maybe we can grab three reliable starters with the extra pick.

I was thinking along those lines. I think Nix could easily bring in three reliable starters like you mention in the first two rounds. We could get our LT, NT and a LB all in the first two rounds! :blink:

Well, Denver just signed Jamal Williams so look for Dan Williams to go somewhere in the twenties where he belongs. He is not a difference maker who can raise the level of a teams run defense like Cody can, like it or not (for all the Cody haters).

I'm all for the idea of throwing up smoke screens in hopes of trading down and getting another second (hopefully) or maybe a third. With the needs we have, the more picks in the early rounds, the better!

Only the top 10% of leathers are selected by coach purses sale which guarantee originality and uniqueness to each one. We read somewhere on the Internet that Coach handbags are so well made that they could last a lifetime except that fashion and trends change so often that women buy coach outlet every few years to replace the older models eventhough they are still in great shape.

Not sure about the Bills drafting him but Spiller will be a shoe-in as a top 15 pick. He was dominating at the combine with his speed, size, strength and agility. I remember watching him last year against Maryland and his sneaker came off on one long TD run and he was blowing by guys with his sock dangling. Pretty cool. Then he returned a kickoff for a TD as an added bonus in the same game. Yeah- he's gonna be an awesome pro RB.

Take a look at Spiller's highlight reel on youtube when you get a chance. Many of his runs were against Georgia Tech. I'm sure Chan Gailey would love to have CJ on his side, this time around, with the Bills.

NO matter how good Spiller is, I do not want the Bills to spend a Rd 1-3 pick on him or any other RB. We have spent two first rounders over the past few years on RB and this is the year we should not repeat that. Jackson is very good and even if we trade Lynch, can get another RB to fill in the role of a second RB. Upgrading our OL will have a far greater positive impact on our run game than drafting a RB high.

Take a look at Spiller's highlight reel on youtube when you get a chance. Many of his runs were against Georgia Tech. I'm sure Chan Gailey would love to have CJ on his side, this time around, with the Bills.

Take a look at his highlights and watch him run east/west more times than not. With our line, even with a top LT prospect, I doubt he would be able to produce 2000 yards and 17 TD's like every is seeming to think. I'll agree with the bush comparison for now.

There are a lot of broken ankles in his highlight reel though.

I think that they are doing their due-dilligence on all the players that they could consider at 9. He will not be

around in the 2nd unless there is some medical issue/injury or drug issue that hasn't yet come out.

I disagree that RB is "not a need" for the Bills. Yes, Fred Jackson had a special season, but he is about 30, when

many RBs fall off a cliff and the Bills may also be trying to move Marshawn Lynch.

I do agree that there are bigger needs for this team than RB, but let's say that the only LT candidate available at 9

is Anthony Davis (concerns about work ethic), QB Bradford is gone and they either don't like Clausen or he

is gone and both Suh and McCoy are gone. I'd say they should be prepared to look at other positions including

RB and LB. In this scenario, Spiller could be the best player available or maybe LB Sergio Kindle or a board-favorite

like Rolando McClain.

I'd be disappointed if they WEREN'T looking at all the top players coming out, regardless of position.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

I suppose that I'd rather have Kindle than Spiller though, simply because I value a rush LB higher than a RB.

Spiller in the second and Suh in the third. Then lets grab McCoy in the 4th, and trade back into the 4th for Dez White

I think you mean Dez Bryant, as opposed to the GA Tech WR that Chicago drafted 10 years ago, but I LOL'ed nonetheless.

If all of the good OTs are taken, I will have 0 problem with us taking CJ Spiller.

Me either. I'll never have a problem with getting (potentially) the most talented player on the board.

Man I got crucified on here for mentioning Dez Bryant and now people are talking about drafting a RB? One of two positions (secondary) where we're competent on our entire football team?

My opinion, which others probably share, is that Spiller is a different class of football player than Bryant, and carries higher value at the #9 pick than Bryant...JMO.

Well, Denver just signed Jamal Williams so look for Dan Williams to go somewhere in the twenties where he belongs. He is not a difference maker who can raise the level of a teams run defense like Cody can, like it or not (for all the Cody haters).

Although I agree with you that Williams will likely come off the board in the 20s (watch Arizona at 26), the fact that Denver signed an aging NT coming off of a season-ending injury does nothing to affect the possibility of them drafting a NT at 10...they could very well do so anyway.

Dan Williams is not the prospect Haloti Ngata was, so stop talking about him at #9. Williams is a late 1st rounder, even if Denver takes him at 10. If we get a 3rd for Lynch (Willis got us 2 of em'), Spiller would be awesome, and WORTH the draft slot.

I agree Spiller is the top athlete in the draft. I would take him we can get back into the 1st to pick an OT. I disagree about Williams, he is a top 15 talent!

Spiller is going to be a damn good NFL player...but dear God, not for us. We have a lot of problems on this team but running back is not our top priority.

O-Line! O-Line! O-Line!

QB! QB! QB!

Red Endzones! Red Endzones! Red Endzones.

Sorry...spazzed out a bit for a second there.

Thank God! It took a while for me to see a post that I agreed with!! Yes, maybe Spiller is good or great, but like you are saying we have other positions that are of much greater need! Yes, a OLT is huge...and I agree a QB no doubt...to the point where I would draft one, and get one in FA as well and dump or trade Edwards and maybe Brohm or Fitzy. But I doubt there is much of a demand for any of our QB's which tells you their true worth to our organization. I think we also need to get a DT/NT and a WR as well....Always could use another LB..especially if Schoebel retires! I think CB and RB are probably the two positions that we shouldn't draft for unless the talent level of a RB is just so superior to the other players yet to be drafted that it's a no-brainer. Good Post!!! :doh:

While I believe the Bills will sign at least one RB this year -- Lynch is underachieving, thus an injury to Jackson would be devastating -- taking a running back in the top 20 is nuts, except in the rare case of a once-a-generation back. First off, aside from that once-in-a-generation runner, RBs are, relatively speaking, a dime a dozen, and good to great ones can be found in the later rounds or even among the undrafted. For example, Thurman in the 2nd and Fred Jackson basically off the street.

Secondly, they have about the shortest "career expectancy" of any position. So if you have a high pick (which also means paying a premium price) doesn't it make more sense to invest in a position that has a longer career expectancy, like QB or O line?

Thirdly, unlike QB and some other positions, where there is an extended learning curve, RB is probably the most "plug and play" position in the NFL, which is why they start so often as rookies. Because of the nature of RB, there is fairly little "coaching up" required. Which is one reason they can be evaluated so much easier based on their play in college.

I'm not knocking Spiller; he's great, no doubt about it. But I think we all know the holes the Bills desperately need to fill right now with top picks, and RB ain't one of them.

BTW, here's my suggestion for an off-the-radar RB whom I think has tremendous potential and can probably be picked up way late in the draft and might even go undrafted: Stafon Johnson. Until he was injured, he was the go-to guy for SC when you really needed the yards. And I think USC's mediocre season last fall had as much to do with his absence as with Sanchez leaving early. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this remind anyone of 2006 when all the mock drafts had Buffalo taking Haloti Ngata or Broderick Bunkley but guys like Felser kept slipping in Donte Whitner's name as a "darkhorse" or "sleeper pick"? If the Bills don't like the 4th best OT off the board at nine then who knows who they'll have targeted.

Why not interview him? It sends out a smokescreen (how effective? probably not very) so a team who wants a LT won't be so quick to trade in front of us and Spiller may become a FA or available for trade down the road so it wouldn't be a bad idea to meet with him now.

It's more than a smokescreen. If the players the Bills target are gone then they will go to their rankings board. If Spiller is rated highest they could take him.

This is called being prepared if the situation changes. Plan B must be ready just in case.

BTW, whoever has suggested the Bills might be able to pick him up in the second round has no clue about football. Spiller is a top 10 talent.