Signings like Cornell Green are why the Bills are terrible

Exactly, that's how they got him to sign. Tell the guy he's the starter and he's game. But now what can we do if he is outplayed by Bell or Meredith? Pencil him in as experienced depth or cut him if it's necessary.

Really, this was a smart move, no matter how bad people want to put a negative spin on it. Sure, we would have liked a better OT, with a better track record, but the FA pool isn't exactly teeming with great options this year.

We'll see how smart it was when we see the upfront money. Teams don't just "get him to sign" by making false promises without something for the other side. Players agents aren't stupid either.

Either way, signing 34 year old bad players isn't the best way to start rebuilding.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see how smart it was when we see the upfront money. Teams don't just "get him to sign" by making false promises without something for the other side. Players agents aren't stupid either.

Either way, signing 34 year old bad players isn't the best way to start rebuilding.

That is true, but I don't think that he had much room to negotiate, based on his track record, but what do I know?

Anyway, I don't think this signing was done in a sense of rebuilding as much as it was done in reaction to Butlers retirement. His retirement gave us an immediate need for another OT.

It is hard to argue with what you are saying because until they come up with a free agent who steps up and plays better than what is expected from the paycheck, the Bills are going to have to take what you say and eat it. As a Bills fan, you are hoping to eat crow, but you never know.

However, I am not sure what options the Bills have right now considering the questions with Wood. He is certianly the key piece here. If he is not able to play, you better have some people who can step in and have started. As much as I do not like it, he does fit the needs and is not too expensive.

Either the new front office is more incompetent than the last FO, or Cornell Green is the only person they could get to come to Buffalo. Below is a quote from Rotoworld:

"While Buffalo is undoubtedly desperate for tackle help, the signing is curious. Green received no known interest elsewhere, turns 34 before the season, and has played a full 16-game schedule just once in his 10-year career. The Raiders were also always trying to replace Green, which isn't a good sign."

It seems that they won't even give the time of day to players that could really help this team fill their many, many holes, than they over pay for subpar, over the hill players that not a single other team in the NFL has any interest for. For anyone wondering why the Bills have sucked for a decade, signings like this are a big part of the answer.

Relax. At least they didn't sign him to a $49 million contract like Marv did with Derrick Dockery. The Bills need experience and depth on the OL and Green helps provide that.

Below is a quote from Rotoworld:

"While Buffalo is undoubtedly desperate for tackle help, the signing is curious. Green received no known interest elsewhere, turns 34 before the season, and has played a full 16-game schedule just once in his 10-year career. The Raiders were also always trying to replace Green, which isn't a good sign."

"A Raiders reject is a good enough offensive lineman for us!" exclaimed a source in the Bills' front office who asked to remain anonymous. "The last time around when the Raiders wanted to get rid of an offensive lineman, it turned into the Langston Walker signing. I mean, sure, maybe we overpaid for Langston a little, but he eventually turned into a stellar left tackle! The Green signing is equally exciting."

Said Green, "This is the proudest day of my life. I'm joining a pantheon of offensive line talent that, over the years, has seen such all-time greats as Greg Jerman, Bennie Anderson, Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston, Trey Teague, Jason Whittle, Mike Gandy, Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Chris Villarrial, Tuten Reyes, and others. I only hope I will someday be worthy to have my name mentioned in the same sentence as any of them."

A nationally syndicated sports analyst recently commented, "It looks like the Bills are committed to maintaining the same standard of offensive line play they've had over the last ten years. No one thought they could do it, but they appear well on their way to pulling it off!"

It's ironic that we've acquired the Raiders' former starter at RT. Sure, this is a cheaper contract, but giving a 34 year old guy a 3 year deal is something. It'd be interesting to know how much of the deal is guaranteed.

I would highly doubt he's not going to be on the team in September if his guarantee is more than 2M. Will James' signing in 08 wasn't for what Green is getting; at least not on the surface.

I think it's really stupid to hate on players who aren't:

1. Guaranteed a roster spot.

2. Guaranteed a starting job.

3. Most haven't seen play.

To say nothing of the ridiculous notion that a player sucks because his former team sucks. That's so stupid the word doesn't even come close to describing it. Does Nnamdi Asomugha suck because he plays for the Raiders? Yeah, didn't think so.

Copy that, and let's not forget that there's no way possible to rebuild this team in a year. If Green can give Buffalo one year, then so be it. It will buy some time. It's been said that Rome wasn't built overnight....

Jauron left this team in a bad way and like it or not, it will take two to three years to fix his train wreck.

Exactly, that's how they got him to sign. Tell the guy he's the starter and he's game. But now what can we do if he is outplayed by Bell or Meredith? Pencil him in as experienced depth or cut him if it's necessary.

Really, this was a smart move, no matter how bad people want to put a negative spin on it. Sure, we would have liked a better OT, with a better track record, but the FA pool isn't exactly teeming with great options this year.

I agree and if he can play at least 1/2 as good as another Cornell Green did the

Bills will be in good shape.

I think it's really stupid to hate on players who aren't:

1. Guaranteed a roster spot.

2. Guaranteed a starting job.

3. Most haven't seen play.

To say nothing of the ridiculous notion that a player sucks because his former team sucks. That's so stupid the word doesn't even come close to describing it. Does Nnamdi Asomugha suck because he plays for the Raiders? Yeah, didn't think so.

I think it's even stupider to feel the need to "wait and see" to assess a move in which the team is spending $3M per year on a player who:

1. Is 34 years old.

2. One of the most penalty-prone tackles the NFL has to offer.

3. Received no interest on the open market and could have been had for much cheaper (see: Peerless Price).

It's yet another typical Bills signing that fits right in with the likes of Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler, Derrick Dockery, and Langston Walker.

This was an idiotic move. Either he starts, which is pathetic, especially given need to develop Meredith, or he doesn't start and they cut him. There is no way Ralph will pay $3 M for a back up. Thanks to his fat contract, he'll get the Langston Walker treatment the week of the opener.

Should have signed him to a reasonable deal and added depth.

Its really too bad that when big free agents are available us Bill fans know we wont even look at them.....ie..Haynesworth,peppers,but if they are problems like T.O or Porter there may be a chance because nobody else wants them.

And you know for certain that the Bills FO didn't take a look at them? Or call them? Or in any way attempt to sign them? Sheesh! If you're an older player, which most of the underwhelming FA class is this year, and you're good enough to attract multiple offers split, let's say, between teams with a genuine chance of winning a ring or a team clearly rebuilding, which would you choose?

Either the new front office is more incompetent than the last FO, or Cornell Green is the only person they could get to come to Buffalo. Below is a quote from Rotoworld:

It seems that they won't even give the time of day to players that could really help this team fill their many, many holes, than they over pay for subpar, over the hill players that not a single other team in the NFL has any interest for. For anyone wondering why the Bills have sucked for a decade, signings like this are a big part of the answer.

What do you know?

Maybe it's time you edit that money bag out of Ralph's hand in your avatar

I'd wager to say that most of us have never seen or heard of this guy before he visited Buffalo. He looks to be an average at best OT, which is a HUGE upgrade for us and an instant starter.

It's probably safe to say that we can expect to see a few more journeyman type signings like this at DT, LB , OL and WR.

While the moves aren't exciting and I am not drinking the new regime,s Koolaid, we need these players on the roster- they are starters as of right now!

This gives us more flexibility in the draft, and allows us not to reach for players. (assuming we have different people making draft decisions for the Bills this year)

I wonder if places like PFT putting the signing of backups and roster depth in big bold black letters creates frenzy and unease.

Even Jim Sorgi got some big bold headlines. You go, Jimbo.

I think overpaying for guys like Chester Taylor and Julius Peppers are terrible signings. Dunta Robinson? Really? Ditto for the teams that will overpay for LT and Westbrook.

I think it's even stupider to feel the need to "wait and see" to assess a move in which the team is spending $3M per year on a player who:

1. Is 34 years old.

2. One of the most penalty-prone tackles the NFL has to offer.

3. Received no interest on the open market and could have been had for much cheaper (see: Peerless Price).

It's yet another typical Bills signing that fits right in with the likes of Tutan Reyes, Melvin Fowler, Derrick Dockery, and Langston Walker.

This.

Its really too bad that when big free agents are available us Bill fans know we wont even look at them.....ie..Haynesworth,peppers,but if they are problems like T.O or Porter there may be a chance because nobody else wants them.

Couldn't agree more! Well said. Don't really see the benefit in throwing large $ around on some big name players when this is considered to be the weakest free agent group in years if ever. We jumped in early in the past years and spent money but yet wound up with not much bang for the buck. Sit back and relax and lets see if there are some trades or other movements coming up!! :blink:

looks like John Guy was not not the guy who had no clue about how to evaluate OL talent.

some other rocket scientist at OBD has no clue about the OL

In NASCAR the time known now to the NFL would be called silly season. Drivers leave teams and go to other teams, start their own team, pit personell change, car makes are switched, and so forth onward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just because a guy is signed or penciled in means nothing. A vacant spot is on the roster, so, automatically more then likely, the veteran is penciled in. Free Agency is not over with, nor has the draft gone by. Other players will be cut and signed and such. Keep in mind the plan is not to build from free agancy, just merely a start. What the h*l* are some fans expecting from a whole new coaching staff, offense, change up on defense, and so forth? A 16-0 season? Well dream on. I watched 3-13 seasons and 4 Super Bowl losses. Now I get mad at times; but, at the beginning of a new season I get excited. Free agency and the draft excite me as to what can be. If you want to wallow in pity and hatred go pull for the Rams, Lions, Raiders. I heard today they are the worst teams in the NFL. The Bills were not mentioned, so there is some hope. Go Bills!!!!! :wallbash: