I was suprised Incogneto not tendered

A guy on another board said he had talked to Incognito in a bar in St. Louis last weekend, and that Incognito said that he hated Buffalo and wasn't coming back.

I'm not saying it was true, but the guy had had thousands of posts and had never pulled anything questionable before.

If true, he might have simply told them he didn't want to come back.

Again, I'm not saying it's true, but it looked real to me.

and as ive posted previously, the only people on record as having a problem with lynch are the "fans". the same fans that sit online and B word about any/every move.

Funny, I could have sworn the Commish had had a thing or two to say also. Must have just been echoes of all the "fans."

Sarcasm off.

He played 5 or 6 games with us and that was some of the best guard play I have seen since Ruben Brown or John Davis. What kind of character is an offensive lineman supposed to display? Of all our free agents he was the only one I hoped they would resign. If at all possible this team has gotten worse. We may only be a 2 or 3 win team next season, unless this team has a big free agency period and stellar draft, I'm making plans other than football on Sundays this fall.

Incognito wasn't actually bad, but was no better than solid.

He was listed as 40th of 84 guards last year on profootballfocus.com. Interestingly, Dockery was 24th last year. Apparently he started trying again after getting out of Buffalo, the jerk.

After Incognito, though, our best guard was Wood, listed as 65th, but Wood has a lot of room for improvement as a very young player, whereas Incognito is about at his ceiling.

The guy was undisciplined and was released from the Rams because he hurt them more than he helped them.

Killer instinct is having a mean streak, but being able to control it and use it to your advantage. Yes, once again this creates another hole on the OL. This guy is average at best, and can be replaced.

What I'm surprised about is the fan reaction. Where was the backlash when they let Peters leave town?..and that guy had talent.

Fans on the message boards are much more concerned about attitude than whether a guy gets the job done. Again and again the guys with a "mean streak" or "an attitude" or "a chip on his shoulder" become instant fan favorites on the boards. Eric Wood was a huge fan favorite here even before we picked him because of this type of evaluation.

He was wanted more than Mack who had been and has continued to be a far superior player because Mack didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he simply got his assignments done extremely efficiently.

These days, Mack was the 6th best out of 34 center who played more than a play or two in the NFL last year and Wood was the 65th of 84 guards and you still get folks on here telling you Wood was the best center picked last year and they always mention the attitude.

It's a wacky thing about fans here.

What specific character failings have you seen Incognito display? The worst I've seen written about him is that he sometimes loses control of his anger. But you know what? I want offensive linemen who play with a little anger. The offensive line should take it personally every time the QB gets hit!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And I'm tired of the often nonchalant attitude the offensive line has so often displayed over the last ten years about the quarterbacks it's supposed to have been protecting getting killed instead. Better to have an offensive lineman who wants to kill the other team's players than one who's willing to passively accept the destruction of his own quarterback!! :angry:

Yes, I'll grant that you have to have controlled rage so that it doesn't turn into 15 yard penalties. And that there's often a fine line between rage that helps you be a better player and rage that causes you to do something stupid. Incognito has been known to cross that line on a few occasions. But I can't immediately recall his having done that in Buffalo; and it's not like the team at this point is so rich in offensive line talent that it can afford to let perfectly good players go on the basis of mistakes they might someday make. The interior of the Bills' line should be Levitre, Wood, and Incognito.

Ah, here's a perfect example.

I just want guys who get the job done. I could care less about anger either way.

right, like Matt Jones. but Matt Jones is doing coke in parked cars and has NEVER been productive.

Lynch has had a much better career and his "crimes" are much less severe.

ill be glad to link you to the many posts from the whole "robbery framing" that showed exactly how small-minded a lot of posters can be. Not ALL posters mind you. ill admit that there are plenty of posters that want him gone that would want anyone in his situation gone. but there are also a large number that slam the gavel at the first word of a problem, without knowing the entire story, or even caring to know based on how he looks.

the rampant racism in Buffalo (and it's there) isnt "hate based" like it is in the south. it's based in fear of the unfamiliar.

but i digress, didnt mean to hijack the thread...

You're political and social commentary wreaks of simple minded cliche regurgitation. All you're really saying is you have a chip on your shoulder and you see racism in everything you look at. You should stick to what you're good at, whatever that may be.

Fans on the message boards are much more concerned about attitude than whether a guy gets the job done. Again and again the guys with a "mean streak" or "an attitude" or "a chip on his shoulder" become instant fan favorites on the boards. Eric Wood was a huge fan favorite here even before we picked him because of this type of evaluation.

He was wanted more than Mack who had been and has continued to be a far superior player because Mack didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he simply got his assignments done extremely efficiently.

These days, Mack was the 6th best out of 34 center who played more than a play or two in the NFL last year and Wood was the 65th of 84 guards and you still get folks on here telling you Wood was the best center picked last year and they always mention the attitude.

It's a wacky thing about fans here.

I dont remember seeing anybody say Wood was a better center then Mack last year

I love the killer mentality as a linemen......

We will have to see how they handle this....it creates another OL hole.

I am PISSED about this move... :thumbsup:

I like the guy and thought he formed a GREAT interior with Levitre at LG and Wood at C, with Incognito at RG.

I am VERY PISSED about this Buddy. :thumbsup:

hate to put it like this but quite frankly none of you know what youre talking about, and im not saying i do either but none of us has sat down and gone over game film on this guy.... and even if you replayed the game you wouldnt know his assignments to get an accurate picture.

Buffalo fans have an unhealthy and unwise obsession with physical guys whether or not they are good. this guy was cut from an awful football team and was signed to become one of our starters... it shouldnt be a shock that our new GM didnt want him either.

Incognito wasn't actually bad, but was no better than solid.

He was listed as 40th of 84 guards last year on profootballfocus.com. Interestingly, Dockery was 24th last year. Apparently he started trying again after getting out of Buffalo, the jerk.

After Incognito, though, our best guard was Wood, listed as 65th, but Wood has a lot of room for improvement as a very young player, whereas Incognito is about at his ceiling.

The knock on Dockery wasn't that he sucked when he was here. He was average. The problem was he was the highest paid guard in the NFL and way under performed for the money.

the rampant racism in Buffalo (and it's there) isnt "hate based" like it is in the south. it's based in fear of the unfamiliar.

Good point. Most white residents of a city that is more than 37% black would tend to be unfamilar with African-Americans. I am guessing that many of them have never even seen a black citizen.

I can't speak for all white people, but I for one want people in my community mowing down pedestrians after a night at the bar, and then leaving the scene. I also want people around that have illegal guns and drugs. BUT.....I only want them IF they are white because that makes a difference.

Thanks for some gripping social commentary.

I think Incognito was pretty good and if I thought the Bills were going to take a shot at the playoffs next year I'd be pissed at not tendering him- but lets face it the Bills are going into a total rebuilding mode so you have to think at least 3 years out- expect the Bills to have a really high pick next year for that franchise QB - this year should be all about rebuilding the lines with young players, hopefully Nix drafts better than the previous administrations.

I love the killer mentality as a linemen......

We will have to see how they handle this....it creates another OL hole.

If you see him as a backup, it makes NO sense to tender him as that sets his salary for the year. Backup guards should be paid the veteran minimum and can be found anywhere. He might even come back at that level. But why pay him more?

Who the hell knows why this franchise does the things they do. I was hoping we would have at least tendered the guy, but Nix might not have thought anyone would pick the guy up. Character issues involved, if we tender the guy as a first or second round guy, if nobody goes after him, than are we on the hook for it? Plus the guy may not have wanted to play here, making his attitude less than appealing. but if you tender the guy at a third or fourth round, he would be worth it. Like I say, I don't know why the Bills do what they do. but this might clear up what we might do in the First Round of the draft. OT could be first pick.

I like his attitude, but it appears they are going to stick to the "Character" thing that they talked about at the initial press conference. Incognito is severely lacking in the character department. You can pretty much count Lynch gone too for the same reasons.

Ah, "character." That and $1.25 will buy you a small cup of coffee.

Incognito not tendered = further repudiation of John Guy by this regime

Not at all. Incognito was an emergency signing and a good one at that. He was not brought in because of some great strategy that Guy had. We had a need and he filled it.

A guy on another board said he had talked to Incognito in a bar in St. Louis last weekend, and that Incognito said that he hated Buffalo and wasn't coming back.

I'm not saying it was true, but the guy had had thousands of posts and had never pulled anything questionable before.

If true, he might have simply told them he didn't want to come back.

Again, I'm not saying it's true, but it looked real to me.

I heard on St. Louis sports radio just this morning that the Rams are interested in talking to Incognito again. Spagnulo might give him yet another chance.

HE COSTS TOO MUCH

Incognito is not well liked around the NFL because of his rage, right? Maybe the Bills are thinking/hoping they could sign him for cheaper once he realizes he's not wanted elsewhere? Just a thought.

Very stupid move, we seriously had no depth to begin with. Unless the Bills are planning on bringing 2-3 free agents and 2-3 draft picks, we'll actually be worse off than we were last year.

unfortunately, this year will be worse than last year. hard to predict otherwise.. Gailey won't be pulling any magic in his first year. doesn't have the horses. defenses will eat this team up this year. Vikings, Steelers, Bears, Bengals. it will be ugly. But then we get a top 3 pick and take Locker and away we go.. maybe in another city, but away we go...

Yup, white people are terrified of black people and that is why Marshawn Lynch's behavior is not soundly accepted. :rolleyes: In fact white people in general have a really tough time worshipping black athletes with all that fear paralyzing them.

Oh and trust me all the people in the city aren't cool with Lynch's problems either.

I do understand that race is always an issue in the U.S.A. but in this case I think you are taking it too far. Most people Black or white judging from the sale of Jerseys do not have a problem worshiping athletes regardless of color. I do think people make assumptions about athletes based on race. I have a problem with Lynch on my roster not really because of the near crimes he has committed most of which are not tragic in nature but because he seems to be teetering on an the NFL fence. One more infraction and he is suspended for a long time. I don't see him changing his behavior which tells me he just might not be there when we need him. Perhaps that is why the Bills did not tender Incognito?

I do understand that race is always an issue in the U.S.A. but in this case I think you are taking it too far. Most people Black or white judging from the sale of Jerseys do not have a problem worshiping athletes regardless of color. I do think people make assumptions about athletes based on race. I have a problem with Lynch on my roster not really because of the near crimes he has committed most of which are not tragic in nature but because he seems to be teetering on an the NFL fence. One more infraction and he is suspended for a long time. I don't see him changing his behavior which tells me he just might not be there when we need him. Perhaps that is why the Bills did not tender Incognito?

I was being sarcastic. We are on the same page.

You are full of crap, Marshawn Lynch could have owned Buffalo. Dreads and gold teeth aren't shocking, let alone frightening. People might think they look stupid, but some people might think long hair and tattoos look stupid. While many others think both looks are cool. Eitherway not shocking and little old WNY has black people too. The fear of the unknown is about two decades old. The white culture has embraced Hip Hop and all the bells and whistles that go with it.

Not many of us care about his hair, teeth, tats, or skin color. Can he stay out of trouble? Can he play football?

Lately he is falling short of expectations on both fronts. IMO, if he didn't act like an idiot, his look and personality would have made him one of the most popular Bills ever, even in the rampant racist suburbs of Buffalo.

Excellent post!

I've seen Wade Smith rated higher on UFA lists than Incognito, and with his ability to play center has added value. Incognito had alot of issues coming into Buffalo including his undisiplined play and also being accused of sitting out a game with a fake illness in 2008. I don't think it should be a surprise that Chan Gailey, if he's able to be replaced with an equally talented option, would rather not have him on the team.

I dont remember seeing anybody say Wood was a better center then Mack last year

At least three people said that they thought Wood was the best center picked last year, because that was how many times I replied by saying "Yeah, except for Mack, of course."

And that was during the season.

Before the draft Wood was a huge favorite and Mack had some supporters (especially me, I wanted Mack or Pettigrew) but not all that many.

Ah, here's a perfect example.

I just want guys who get the job done. I could care less about anger either way.

My post was in response to someone who'd written about Incognito's "character flaws" or something to that effect. My point was than anger is typically a good trait for an offensive lineman to have; because it makes him play better than he otherwise would. I am not one of your "Wood is better than Mack because Wood is angrier" people.

WTF? Another brain dead decision for this club. Butler retires. We have tomato cans at tackles. Wood is coming off a horrific injury- potentially career ending. We have 2 decent healthy lineman on the entire roster. And we do not tender Incogneto. Man it is tough to be a Bills fan. I could not screw this team up this bad if I tried. Thank God for the Nets- so we are not the worst franchise in all sports

Tender Ellison- has no use on this team anymore, way too small to play LB in the 3-4

Don't tender Incognito- Team sucks horribly on OL and is oft injured, create another hole.

Same old Bills.