Casey Hampton To get Tagged

!@#$. We are switching to a 3-4 and don't have a NT. Brilliant. I hope they have a plan to fill that spot(Cody? Williams?)

I love this plan. Draft Cody in the 2nd and he and Williams split time at NT. They are the perfect combo and would be a beast to block. Kyle Williams is about the same size as Jay Ratliff, who is one of the best 3-4 NTs in the game.

I gotta think Pickett will hit the market. They just drafted Raji and need to tag an OL, Clifton I believe.

Two years ago, Ted Thompson franchised a much desired player, DL Corey Williams, only to trade him to Cleveland for a second rounder. I don't doubt for a moment that GB's plan is do the same with Pickett, a player who'll get significant attention on the open market. And that's even with a player who'll start at NT next season in Raji.

Good front offices know the market and get a return on something. Thompson did it two years ago, and if he's serious about starting Raji, he'll deal Pickett for a 1st or 2nd now that NT's are in serious demand.

I don't think this is any reason to panic.

The great NTs come from all rounds of the draft. Looking at the upper-echelon NTs in the NFL right now, you have:

V. Wilfork (1st rounder)

K. Jenkins (2nd)

J. Ferguson (7th)

C. Hampton (1st)

S. Rogers (2nd)

K. Gregg (6th)

J. Williams (2nd round supplemental pick)

A. Franklin (5th)

R. Pickett (1st)

J. Ratliff (7th)

And this year is particularly deep at the position. Plus, I happen to believe that Kyle Williams wouldn't be the worst NT option in the world. I think he'd even be adequate if the rest of the DL rounded into form, which is not to say we shouldn't draft a NT, I just think it's not as big an issue as many on this board believe it to be.

I don't think this is any reason to panic.

The great NTs come from all rounds of the draft. Looking at the upper-echelon NTs in the NFL right now, you have:

V. Wilfork (1st rounder)

K. Jenkins (2nd)

J. Ferguson (7th)

C. Hampton (1st)

S. Rogers (2nd)

K. Gregg (6th)

J. Williams (2nd round supplemental pick)

A. Franklin (5th)

R. Pickett (1st)

J. Ratliff (7th)

And this year is particularly deep at the position. Plus, I happen to believe that Kyle Williams wouldn't be the worst NT option in the world. I think he'd even be adequate if the rest of the DL rounded into form, which is not to say we shouldn't draft a NT, I just think it's not as big an issue as many on this board believe it to be.

How many teams run the 3-4? I saw a list that said the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Jets, Chargers, Cowboys, Packers did. Most of those teams are pretty set at NT- so that helps the possibility of Cody or Williams being there for us in round 2

How many teams run the 3-4? I saw a list that said the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Jets, Chargers, Cowboys, Packers did. Most of those teams are pretty set at NT- so that helps the possibility of Cody or Williams being there for us in round 2

Good point. Off the top of my head, here's who runs the 3-4 and who they have at NT:

Patriots (Wilfork and '09 2nd round pick Ron Brace)

Dolphins (Paul Soliai and Randy Starks, who manned the position when J. Ferguson went down in week 7 last year...Ferguson will be an UFA)

NY Jets (K. Jenkins and S. Pouha)

Ravens (K. Gregg and H. Ngata, but backup D. Edwards will be an UFA)

Steelers (Hampton and '09 1st round pick E. Hood)

Browns (S. Rogers...not much behind him)

Broncos (Ronald Fields and Marcus Thomas...yuck)

Chiefs (former Bill Ron Edwards and '08 1st rounder Glenn Dorsey, whom they supposedly want to trade...another yuck)

Chargers (J. Williams--coming off a knee injury--and Travis Johnson and Ian Scott, both of whom will be UFAs)

Cardinals (B. Robinson--an UFA--and '07 2nd rounder Gabe Watson)

49ers (A. Franklin and '08 1st rounder Kentwan Balmer)

Packers (UFA R. Pickett and '09 1st rounder BJ Raji)

Cowboys (Jay Ratliff...not much behind him)

I love this plan. Draft Cody in the 2nd and he and Williams split time at NT. They are the perfect combo and would be a beast to block. Kyle Williams is about the same size as Jay Ratliff, who is one of the best 3-4 NTs in the game.

Once again, I agree with you. It is a good plan to draft a nose tackle in round two or even to trade down from our #9 spot (for more picks) in round one to draft an offensive tackle and nose tackle in the first and second rounds (Cody or possibly Williams). The can rotate Kyle Williams in there or even Marcus Stroud with our new NT, whoever that maybe. As much as I would have like to get Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton, it just didn't seem realistic when it came down to it.