Upstate New York

Chef Jim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would it bother you if you live in NYC?

It's just silly as a "general descriptor". Referring to what has to be about 90% or more of the state as "Upstate" is not only relatively useless, it is arrogant as well. At best it is just lazy. Can you imagine referring to the entire state of California north of San Diego as "Upstate" or "Northern California"? How about calling the entire state of Florida north of Miami "Upstate"? It is preposterous as it has almost no communicative value. It says almost nothing about where the area you are referring to actually is within the state.

You mean it's not? :doh:

That everything north of the Catskills is upstate NY. Sure there is a gray around those regions. No big deal. Just take the northern PA border and extend it across NYS... Everything above that I consider "upstate." Below, "downstate." Is BFLO upstate? Sure!

That's exactly where I draw the line, too. And, basically it's two different states - two different economies, so what is the problem with the two names.

I never heard of the Adirondacks being the only place called Upstate. When they had the big ice storm, didn't everybody refer to it as North Country?

Inferiority complex.

That may be. I don't know why? :doh: Isn't it considered to be superior to be on top? That is why I brought up the Illinois thing and how everything is opposite here. Here I could see it being an inferiority complex by looking "down"state on everybody. Then on top of it all, Chicago is literally sending all their sh*t downstate... :D:worthy:

Oh well... You can't please everyone. I find no problem with it, as you can tell. :worthy:

Peter Griffin: You know what really grinds my gears? This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.

Peter Griffin: You know what really grinds my gears? This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.

Lindsay Lohan is from Long Island-she wants to be known as being from Downstate.

I was unclear. I was not referring to a feeling; I was referring to the fact that geographically everything is upstate to NYC and Long Island. People want a way to distinguish the rest of the state from NYC and Long Island. The term "Upstate New York" allows one to do that.

And that's the problem. If they tell me they're from Brooklyn, and I say "oh, the City", that would bother them. I've taken the time to learn the different boroughs, so they can learn the different regions.

Yeah, like they're going to do that............What I think is funny is that I can tell a client in California 100 times that we are 7 hours from NYC. I give them the SF to LA analogy, etc...........And, then the next time I'm on the line with them and say that I went to the hockey game last night, I have literally had them say Oh, at Madison Square Garden?

I was in the midwest for work once and mentioned I was from Buffalo, and the person responded with something about me being a yankee fan. He was surprised when i mentioned there were 5 MLB teams closer to me than the Yankees....

(though I just checked and i lied to the guy...it's only 4. nyc is officially 399 via yahoo maps, while philly is 406 and even cinci 429. good thing he didn't call BS on me)

I think a contributor to this topic is NYS's odd shape, kinda like a distorted Virginia with a high top on the right side. It certainly suggests east of Oswego and north. NYCer's do refer to all the rest of the state as 'upstate' and there are more of them than anyone else from the state.

As a displaced WNYer, the NYCer's got here first and convinced the other states that anywhere other than 'the City' is Upstate NY, so a lot of other national regions think this as well.

JMO.

I think a contributor to this topic is NYS's odd shape, kinda like a distorted Virginia with a high top on the right side. It certainly suggests east of Oswego and north. NYCer's do refer to all the rest of the state as 'upstate' and there are more of them than anyone else from the state.

As a displaced WNYer, the NYCer's got here first and convinced the other states that anywhere other than 'the City' is Upstate NY, so a lot of other national regions think this as well.

JMO.

I think you are correct, on how it started and why it is widely used. As has been mentioned several times, it is a NYC-centric view of the state and a relatively uninformed one at that.

I think what some (including me) are saying is, when we use that term about Buffalo, or when those from Jamestown, Elmira, New Paltz, etc use that term about their towns, we contribute to the ignorance and reinforce this sloppy label.

JMO.

And rightly so. BFLO and some of NY was/still is considered the Niagara FRONTIER. Even along the Erie Canal... One goes UP 572 feet from sea level (NYC).

:P

I think you are correct, on how it started and why it is widely used. As has been mentioned several times, it is a NYC-centric view of the state and a relatively uninformed one at that.

I think what some (including me) are saying is, when we use that term about Buffalo, or when those from Jamestown, Elmira, New Paltz, etc use that term about their towns, we contribute to the ignorance and reinforce this sloppy label.

It is a sloppy label... But so what? I don't think it is a big deal seeing that the state and NYC share the same name. Historically, it is justified... Everything else in the state was the wilds or frontier and technically "up." I don't know why people take umbrage to this out side of what KD said. NYC is a very geographically diverse state, I sure don't expect people to get it straight. Yes again, sloppy... But easy!

Oh... Sloppy and easy... :P

OK. Guilty :P