Upstate New York

Chef Jim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Upstate New York" is the only phrase that can encompass all of the state north of the Bronx. People use it all over the state even in WNY. "Upstate" works because everything North of the Bronx is "Upstate" to New York City and Long Island.

Why are people upset about this?

That's why. 7th grade Social Studies was all about NY state for the school district I went to. The first day we learned how to draw the state freehand (I still can almost 30 years later) along with learning what the different regions are. Just a little education can have a lasting impact in life.

That's why. 7th grade Social Studies was all about NY state for the school district I went to. The first day we learned how to draw the state freehand (I still can almost 30 years later) along with learning what the different regions are. Just a little education can have a lasting impact in life.

Sheeeeet! I can draw every state free-hand... Probably every province of Canada and country of the world.

:worthy::D

Actually, that would be a great quiz!

I don't know what the big deal is anyway... At least upState NY is above those douches down there. **** rolls downhill! :doh:

It's not drawing but it can still be difficult...

Place The State

Fun, but it's fairly easy because once you place the first few, the boarders make it obvious where adjoining states fit.

But you do have to be pretty precise -- I got Nebraska and WV 'wrong' in the very beginning for being slightly off course.

Fun, but it's fairly easy because once you place the first few, the boarders make it obvious where adjoining states fit.

But you do have to be pretty precise -- I got Nebraska and WV 'wrong' in the very beginning for being slightly off course.

True. I know where they all go... But if you are a even just slightly off... Say a cm, it won't give it to you. Everybody knows where say Kansas goes... And can generally space it out... But without the borders first... That site will mark it as a miss, even if you are just slightly off.

Anyway... Very cool Jack! :doh::worthy:

I've had that happen, if I get alot of the border states first, I can get almost 100%, but give me one in the middle part of the map like Colorado or Wyoming first, forget it.

I didn't know it timed you... I was worried about slightly misplacing the states in the middle of the country they gave me early on... That is cool.

I still scored 2 misses (they were sligtly off because of being smack dab in the middle of the country... Early on I was given AR, NE)... 96%... With an average error of 3 miles @ 464 seconds.

That average error stat is cool and really is a good indicator. 3 miles! Damn! :doh:

I've had that happen, if I get alot of the border states first, I can get almost 100%, but give me one in the middle part of the map like Colorado or Wyoming first, forget it.

Exactly! It is luck of the draw. That is where error miles come in... I can't believe I was only 3 miles off on NE and AR when they gave them to me with no other states around! :doh:

I was unclear. I was not referring to a feeling; I was referring to the fact that geographically everything is upstate to NYC and Long Island. People want a way to distinguish the rest of the state from NYC and Long Island. The term "Upstate New York" allows one to do that.

I was unclear. I was not referring to a feeling; I was referring to the fact that geographically everything is upstate to NYC and Long Island. People want a way to distinguish the rest of the state from NYC and Long Island. The term "Upstate New York" allows one to do that.

I agree. There really is an upstate and downstate with reference to where NYC and population density is centered. I don't know why people take umbrage? Could it be the NYC-centric thing?

I agree. There really is an upstate and downstate with reference to where NYC and population density is centered. I don't know why people take umbrage? Could it be the NYC-centric thing?

When is the last time you heard someone say they were from "Downstate New York"?

It is most definitely a NYC-centric thing.

I'm amused when someone says something along the lines of "Brian, meet Dave, he's from Upstate New York, too." Of course, it turns out the guy is from somewhere like New Paltz, about 90 miles from NYC. But, to the person introducing us, we are both from the same area. :doh:

When is the last time you heard someone say they were from "Downstate New York"?

It is most definitely a NYC-centric thing.

I'm amused when someone says something along the lines of "Brian, meet Dave, he's from Upstate New York, too." Of course, it turns out the guy is from somewhere like New Paltz, about 90 miles from NYC. But, to the person introducing us, we are both from the same area. :doh:

True. But there is Upstate Farms (Dairy)... Upstate Niagara Coop... Makers of fine Bison dips! That is based in BFLO... :worthy: