Hampton for 3-4 nose

billsevans

"So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay."

and there's the rub.

in a year with no minimum and a lockout expected in 2011, pigs will fly before Ralph spends big money on long term free agent contracts in 2010.

Gailey will need to make do with draft picks and scrubs.

RW's memory is still solid. He knows that all those high priced guys signed by Donahoe and Levy didn't make the team better. Never mind that both of those regimes were terrible at team building, but it's a convenient excuse when they don't pursue someone to fill the all-important NT position.

Most owners, specifically small market ones who cry poverty like RW, will spend less in 2010. Cue up the PR department for some spin on the scrub FA's and hype the draft picks. It's worked so well recently, so why stop now?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a very risky signing, in my opinion.

Hampton is one of those guys who will phone it in right when he gets a big contract. Bad work ethic, fat, lazy, etc. The Steelers--with some strong head coaches, lotsw of successful vets, etc.--were able to push him enough to get him motivated, but I doubt we could do the same.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/st...-hampton/20545/

No idea how reliable this is, but it is a Steelers site that claims a franchise tag is unlikely. Also, Hampton's camp has stated that if franchised he will hold out.

Pickett not likely to be franchised either

So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay.

Pickett really wants to stay in GB, from what I've read, and GB really wants to keep him. IMO, 98% chance he stays in GB.

this would be a dream. i'd prefer him over wilfork

I'd take Wilfork. He's 28 and would help us and really hurt the Pets*.

Riley Cooper is going to play pro baseball for way more money and way less physical abuse

Nope.

01/25/10 - Florida receiver Riley Cooper is setting his sights on the NFL, not the major leagues. Cooper, a 25th-round draft pick of baseball’s Texas Rangers, said Monday that he has decided to focus on a pro football career. He was set to receive half of his signing bonus at a scheduled physical on Jan. 17, which had to be put on hold while he was playing football. "Football’s definitely the route I want to take,” Cooper said. “Toward the last couple of weeks of the football season, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. That’s my makeup, my mentality. I’m just a football player not a baseball player.” --Source

Hampton or Pickett are the only two NT's who even have a chance at coming here. Don't even talk, start a thread, mention in a thread, or even whisper about any of the others. Hopefully we can get one of em', and draft his understudy in round 2 or 3..........

32-year-old Schobel wants to spend more time in Texas, huh?

How about Schobel and Lynch to Houston for their RD2#50?

Houston wants a RB and DE out of this offseason. Source

Get Hampton for DT and you have the best Nose Tackle for 3 years.

Now I want the best 3-4DE in the draft (Odrick) and the best complement to Fred Jackson (Tate).

Trade Down to #17 with San Fran. They want OT and they like Anthony Davis. We get their #17, their RD3#79 this year and next.

RD1#17 Jared Odrick DE 34

RD2#41 Brandon Spikes ILB

RD2#50 Jon Asamoah OT

RD3#72 Dan LeFevour QB

RD3#79 Greg Hardy OLB Mississippi

RD4#104 Ben Tate RBF Auburn

RD5#136 Z Robinson QB Okla St

RD6#168 Riley Cooper WR Florida

RD7#182 Blair White WR Michigan State

RD7Comp Nathan Overbay OT Eastern Washington

Yes, I'm taking 2 QB's and letting them 4 of them compete for 3 positions and a practice squad.

Yes, I know I'm trading Davis for Asamoah. Both will rise after the combine and I like Asamoah.

Yes, I'm taking 2 WR's but I'm thinking that TO and Parrish may be done. Evans-Hardy-Johnson-Jenkins-Reed-White-Cooper.

Yes, I think our LB's will have attitude!

I'd give them both, for a first or a second and third and thats giving them lynch as a constalation prize patriots and oakland set the market last year schobel may stay though.

Pickett really wants to stay in GB, from what I've read, and GB really wants to keep him. IMO, 98% chance he stays in GB.

I'd take Wilfork. He's 28 and would help us and really hurt the Pets*.

The pats don't give a crap what their players think he will be franchised.

When our team came out saying it was making the switch to the 3-4, and considering the hires they made, I wouldn't be the least surprised to see Hampton, Porter, Seymour, and Foote come in, or any combination of them. All of them have connectons with our new staff, and, the draft is considered pretty deep in defensive front seven.. so, I'd say they definately had a F.A. & draft plan, albeit rough, figured out going into the move. Anyway, if they do land Hampton (I'd love it) I agree that we should still draft a high end NT as insurance, rotation, and for replacement. See Packers and Steelers last year, they both grabbed 1st rd NT's and both had good ones, and, no coincidence, both were top 5 defenses.

RD1#17 Jared Odrick DE 34

RD2#41 Brandon Spikes ILB

RD2#50 Jon Asamoah OT

RD3#72 Dan LeFevour QB

RD3#79 Greg Hardy OLB Mississippi

RD4#104 Ben Tate RBF Auburn

RD5#136 Z Robinson QB Okla St

RD6#168 Riley Cooper WR Florida

RD7#182 Blair White WR Michigan State

RD7Comp Nathan Overbay OT Eastern Washington

He is a G.

Good article Buffalo News

Makes sense to go after him. I personally have like Kyle Williams and he does a good job, but he is to undersized to play itin this scheme. Could be a good fit.

I predict Kyle Williams will be a stud DE in the 3-4. Having seen him play these last few years I have really thought that he would be a great 3-4 DE. Pittsburg has made a living with the Kyle williams types at DE. I am all for adding Hampton too.

I predict Kyle Williams will be a stud DE in the 3-4. Having seen him play these last few years I have really thought that he would be a great 3-4 DE. Pittsburg has made a living with the Kyle williams types at DE. I am all for adding Hampton too.

I'm curious to see Stroud, Williams, and Johnson at DE, and a true NT. I don't know if that NT will be Hampton, another UFA, or a rookie.

"So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay."

and there's the rub.

in a year with no minimum and a lockout expected in 2011, pigs will fly before Ralph spends big money on long term free agent contracts in 2010.

Gailey will need to make do with draft picks and scrubs.

Ralph should think long and hard about the phrase "You can't take it with you."