Free Agency Target Jarvis Green

billsfan89

Ok everyone is going to be calling for us to sign Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork to build our 3-4 with. But honestly both those guys are likely to be franchise tagged (Before someone mentions Wilfork doesn't want a tag I am not saying New England will keep him but rather that they would tag and trade him rather then let him hit the open market) or resigned.

Now even if both guys are on the open market I doubt we will be high on the list of either one of them. But I still think there is a guy we can poach from New England to try and build our 3-4 D-line around. Green has been very solid for New England's front 7. He isn't super old (31 years old for the upcoming season) and won't come at a huge price either (A modest price as he has been a good performer but he isn't coming off a great year).

Now I know a lot here are saying we need a NT right away and I agree BUT we don't exactly have locks at the DE positions either (Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson and Stroud might be able to do it but they aren't locks) and Green would bring some sure fire 3-4 talent to the team rather then completely rely on 4-3 guys making the conversion. And even if Williams and Stroud make good conversions we still need guys to rotate into the mix.

as long as we're looking at Patriots free agents who can play the 3-4, what about Tully Banta Cain as an OLB?

That's a big yes on both Green and Banta-Cain. I personally think Banta-Cain should be our #1 target coming into the first few days of free agency.

And speaking of free agency, I feel that it's a lock that Chris Chambers will be coming to Buffalo. If he makes it to FA without the Chiefs re-signing him, he'll sign within 48 hours.

Ok everyone is going to be calling for us to sign Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork to build our 3-4 with. But honestly both those guys are likely to be franchise tagged (Before someone mentions Wilfork doesn't want a tag I am not saying New England will keep him but rather that they would tag and trade him rather then let him hit the open market) or resigned.

Now even if both guys are on the open market I doubt we will be high on the list of either one of them. But I still think there is a guy we can poach from New England to try and build our 3-4 D-line around. Green has been very solid for New England's front 7. He isn't super old (31 years old for the upcoming season) and won't come at a huge price either (A modest price as he has been a good performer but he isn't coming off a great year).

Now I know a lot here are saying we need a NT right away and I agree BUT we don't exactly have locks at the DE positions either (Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson and Stroud might be able to do it but they aren't locks) and Green would bring some sure fire 3-4 talent to the team rather then completely rely on 4-3 guys making the conversion. And even if Williams and Stroud make good conversions we still need guys to rotate into the mix.

3-4 defenses fail without a dominant NT. Period. That is the 800 lb elephant in the room this year. screw that position up from a front office standpoint and we will get run on just as we did in the 4 -3 tampa-lose defense

FREE AGENT TARGET = QUARTERBACK

Without that forget the playoffs EVER.

even with a good qb, the bills will not be in the playoffs for several years. this is pretty much a rebuild. new players at key positions, new defense, new offense....AFC East will be tremendous for years... its going to be a while

J. Green is an under the radar player. He's very good in the 3-4.

Banta-Cain is another experienced guy who could help. Another under the radar player.

I'd love to see us steal Green and Banta-Cain from the Pats (helps us/hurts them), but the biggest move of all would be to steal Wilfork from the Pats to be our mountain in the middle of the 3-4. Now THAT would really hurt the Pats.....and really help us.

Word is that Wilfork has already told the Pats that he would be very upset if they franchise-tagged him.

even with a good qb, the bills will not be in the playoffs for several years. this is pretty much a rebuild. new players at key positions, new defense, new offense....AFC East will be tremendous for years... its going to be a while

Nope. Worst to First is very possible. It's been done before. Miami went from 1-15 to Division champs in a single year.

Think positive. This is not your old Buffalo Bills football team anymore.

Jarvis Green will be 32 next season. His production has been going down the last couple of seasons. he is a backup at best. Tulley Banta Cain was a ST player the first seasons in NE then went to SF where he did nothing and was cut. he had a very surprising season this year but I do not think he will repeat it this season. He was set to sign an extension this then backed out at the last minute and demanded more money. I think this season has gone to his head.

I like Sullivan's article today calling on the Bills to go after the Steelers NT Casey Hampton.

We have Modrak, Gailey, and Whaley in our program, and Whaley is familiar with Hampton. I'm not sure what Wilfork will be going for, but Hampton might be a nice #1 option for a team like the Bills. Also, he reports that Hampton is not too sure if the Steelers want him back enough to get into a bidding war, and word out of New England is that Wilfork will not be lost easily.

Banta-Cain, I probably would not bother with. Let's remember that last year he was cut from the team, cleared waivers (as he said he would not play anywhere else), and then resigned with the Patriots. He looks good every year against us, but let's consider who he is playing against on the offensive line. Chambers makes everyone he lines up against look like an All-Pro.

Regardless, this should make for an exciting offseason. Schobel is up in the air. Kelsay and his $6 million salary might be gone. Parrish makes $3 million. Trading or moving a couple of these high contract guys that don't produce like their salaries say they should may be gone.

We need to sign UFA NT Casey Hampton.

Hampton wouldn't be a bad idea either. And if we could land Hampton and Seymour? WOW! I'm not sold on Green though. Hasn't he had some nagging injuries efecting his play?

FREE AGENT TARGET = QUARTERBACK

Without that forget the playoffs EVER.

I agree with the bolded, but the UFA crop is awful this year (mostly due to the CBA situation):

Charlie Batch

Kyle Boller

Mark Brunell

David Carr

Daunte Culpepper

A.J. Feely

Jeff Garcia

Rex Grossman

Josh McCown

Chad Pennington

Chris Redman

Brian St. Pierre

Seneca Wallace

About the best you're going to do is Jeff Garcia, and hoping for him to turn things around would be--in my opinion--asking a lot. About the best shot this team has to get a veteran would be to trade for a guy like Tyler Thigpen, Donovan McNabb, or maybe a RFA like Jason Campbell or Bruce Gradkowski, but for a rebuilding team where draft picks are at a premium, that doesn't seem like the best strategy.

Just my 1 cent.

3-4 defenses fail without a dominant NT. Period. That is the 800 lb elephant in the room this year. screw that position up from a front office standpoint and we will get run on just as we did in the 4 -3 tampa-lose defense

The Jets lost their dominant NT in week 6 and still went on to have the best defense in the NFL.

The idea that it's all about the NT is overblown on this board. The 3-4 is about gap responsibility, gaining leverage, and tying up blockers.

Plenty of worst-to-first examples prove this sentiment wrong. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that the 2008-09 season had 3 of them: Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore. A good QB will solve a lot of problems.

Hampton is getting up there in age, and word is that his play has been starting to decline. Regardless, he's still one of the best out there, and I would love to have him, if we could possibly draft a replacement that could take over that role in a season or 2 (Dan Williams or Terrence Cody anyone?). Maybe with him as a mentor, that would lower the chance of one of those guys eating themselves out of the league. :worthy:

I would like to clear something up just because we sign Jarvis Green doesn't mean we can't draft or sign a NT. I am merely saying that we need to add in some proven 3-4 personnel to go along with the 4-3 guys that are making the conversion. Also Tully Banta-Cain would be a nice depth pickup as well (not a bad ST player as well).

Also going after Green doesn't inhibit us from getting offensive help as well.