Free Agency Target Jarvis Green

billsfan89

I would like to clear something up just because we sign Jarvis Green doesn't mean we can't draft or sign a NT. I am merely saying that we need to add in some proven 3-4 personnel to go along with the 4-3 guys that are making the conversion. Also Tully Banta-Cain would be a nice depth pickup as well (not a bad ST player as well).

Also going after Green doesn't inhibit us from getting offensive help as well.

But would having 2 stud 3-4 DE's (5-techniques) make it all right if we don't get a stud NT? What if we had Kyle Williams as our NT, but we had 2 stud pro-bowl 3-4 DE's? How would our line fare?

Personally, I still say we'll suck, but it's an interesting idea.

I like Sullivan's article today calling on the Bills to go after the Steelers NT Casey Hampton.

We have Modrak, Gailey, and Whaley in our program, and Whaley is familiar with Hampton. I'm not sure what Wilfork will be going for, but Hampton might be a nice #1 option for a team like the Bills. Also, he reports that Hampton is not too sure if the Steelers want him back enough to get into a bidding war, and word out of New England is that Wilfork will not be lost easily.

Banta-Cain, I probably would not bother with. Let's remember that last year he was cut from the team, cleared waivers (as he said he would not play anywhere else), and then resigned with the Patriots. He looks good every year against us, but let's consider who he is playing against on the offensive line. Chambers makes everyone he lines up against look like an All-Pro.

Regardless, this should make for an exciting offseason. Schobel is up in the air. Kelsay and his $6 million salary might be gone. Parrish makes $3 million. Trading or moving a couple of these high contract guys that don't produce like their salaries say they should may be gone.

hampton would be a huge signing, and I'd take him over wilfork.

But would having 2 stud 3-4 DE's (5-techniques) make it all right if we don't get a stud NT? What if we had Kyle Williams as our NT, but we had 2 stud pro-bowl 3-4 DE's? How would our line fare?

Personally, I still say we'll suck, but it's an interesting idea.

NT is such an important position for a 3-4. Without a good NT you really expose both your MLB's. So I feel that either with a prime free agent or one of our 1st two picks in the draft we need to address the NT position because without a good NT a 3-4 is very ineffective.

HOWEVER my point of targeting Jarvis Green is that we need to have good DE's because without good DE's you expose your OLB's and it hurts your pass rush. Green isn't a great DE but he is solid and more importantly a fit for our scheme. With Green, Williams, Stroud and Spencer Johnson at DE we would be deeper and have a guy who has played in the 3-4 before.