If you could have any job you want

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just quit and do that dream job. Let the chips fall where they may. You will be tons happier.

If I was single, had no kids, then this would be an easy decision.

But, I am married, have a 2 year old running around my house, and have 17 years towards a 25 year retirement.....

If I was single, had no kids, then this would be an easy decision.

But, I am married, have a 2 year old running around my house, and have 17 years towards a 25 year retirement.....

I'm considering going to seminary part time while I'm working fromt here I could work my way into ministry gradually. I don't know for sure, though.

I have always worked in sports, and probably always will. In that sense, I am really lucky. But if I could do anything, I would like to be the radio voice of the New York Yankees.

Wouldn't that be nice! ;)

I've always felt that baseball is well-suited to radio. And for me, it is the best sport to attend. I think football and basketball are better viewed on television.

considering going to full time teaching of law. I enjoy teaching as an adjunct and like the practice of law, but I think full time teaching would let me do a lot more with research in my area of interest. Have taught overseas as well and might enjoy teaching at a foreign law school.

Or play point gaurd for the Knicks...

Well, I've always been told to go to school for something you really want to do. I took 3 and a half years of Physical Education undergraduate work at Canisius College, I've always wanted to be a Phys. Ed. teacher, but I was always thinking in the back of my mind whether I made the right choice and if teaching would be the thing for me. Well, I've finished over one month of student teaching at a local elementary school, and I have to say that I'm very happy with my decision. I was never very good with kids, but always enjoyed being around them. Now that I work with them everyday, I really enjoy what I'm doing and I think I've been growing into the field pretty well. Hopefully this excitement and enjoyment lasts, because right now I'm really liking it.

If I wasn't in this field...

-Writing film scripts or being a part of movie production or development. It's always been something I've been interested in.

-Opening my own restaurant/bar. I think it'd be cool to have my own establishment.

-Winning the lottery, and having no job.

I realize that's not nearly as noble as what you're thinking about, Jim. If you decide to follow through on your idea, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks. What really got me thinking about it was a conversation I had with a friends wife who has done volunteer work in South America in high altitude villages[8000 feet+] Apparently everyone has cataracts[including 6 year old children] because of the high UV levels at that altitude.

My God, people suffering cataracts because of the lack of $10 sunglasses?

Trust me, it is nothing like what the TV represents it to be.

I'm not basing this off C.S.I. and tv shows like that, in fact I hate those kinda shows because they are so far-fetched and unrealistic, but I do watch a lot of Forensic Files and the real shows that are on Tru Tv and it seems very exciting and it would be a career with a real purpose

Hitman.

I thought I was the only one! :beer: Hitman would be a fascinating profession.

Bartender at some open air beach bar would be ok too. Or running my own little winery.

I have a good amount of hours in my pilots logbook[all Alaska time] and have thought of flying for one of the missionary outfits in South America/Africa .

No real point here, but I would love to combine my love of flying with delivering food/medicine to people who desperately need it.

I guess what I am getting at, is do you give up financial security in a job you hate,and roll the dice in a job you love but are unsure of?

I have a friend who does just that on a volunteer basis through this group: http://www.angelflight.org/

Hammock tester. But I'd be the worlds best hammock tester so all hammock companies would beg for my services and because of that they'd have to follow my ground rules:

1. I must spend no less than 90 minutes in each hammock to fully test it for comfort

2. I will only test them outdoors on sunny days with little or no humidity or wind

3. Each hammock company must provide the beverage of my choice, ice cold in a glass, no plastic, so it makes that nice soothing clincking noise when I take a sip

4. And no, I repeat NO rope hammocks that leave those ugly lines on my back and legs.

5. And if the tempurature during my test at any time goes above 80 degrees they will provide not one, but two hot chicks to fan me.

Thanks. What really got me thinking about it was a conversation I had with a friends wife who has done volunteer work in South America in high altitude villages[8000 feet+] Apparently everyone has cataracts[including 6 year old children] because of the high UV levels at that altitude.

My God, people suffering cataracts because of the lack of $10 sunglasses?

Where abouts in South America?

As a job...

I would love to be LeBron James's agent. I think I could be a great agent, and I think that LeBron would be the ideal client. Young, world class talent, transcendant personality, smart, funny, energetic, and a cash cow. Plus, everyone would have to kiss my ass just for the opportunity to kiss LeBron's ass.

As a hobby...

I would love to own a stable of thoroughbreds, to race, breed, and raise them. Main residence and farm would be in Saratoga, NY with wintertime training at Santa Anita in CA.

I have to assume that if I was to make it to that point, I have done pretty well in my life.

well the aspirations early were pro football player and classical music composer..

-now would love to be a jazz pianist/ composer with my own quartet or trio---

--i love what i do for a job--but wish i didnt have to do it for the money-pressure is always on.

would like to start a charity--under my control--directly work with the poor and sick and neglected.

I'm considering going to seminary part time while I'm working fromt here I could work my way into ministry gradually. I don't know for sure, though.

It would be interesting to know what denomination is interested in someone of your pedigree? A man of such diverse talents and virtues will be in demand, I just don't know where. Is this an overseas/third world country gig?

It would be interesting to know what denomination is interested in someone of your pedigree? A man of such diverse talents and virtues will be in demand, I just don't know where. Is this an overseas/third world country gig?

Maybe he's going to start his own religion, and we'll all kneel at the Altar Of Joe.

• 4 weeks later...

My problem is I get bored doing anything too long. I guess my ideal job would be a hired gun consultant, brought on for media startups and then I hand off the reins in a year or so. Then on to the next challenge.

PTR