OT - the Perfect Song

Coach Tuesday

Well in that case, let me thank you again for the recommendation.......I love the CD, and I'm really impressed by his talent. Truly a great tragedy that he's no longer around to contribute more. I love this type of emotional, profound music.....

131677[/snapback]

You are VERY welcome Brother! :D

It is my sworn duty too spread joy, through JB, to the World!!! B)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my sworn duty too spread joy, through JB, to the World!!!  B)

131680[/snapback]

Well I'm gonna join you in that endeavor, cause it's a shame that so much crap gets all the air play when there are great artists like JB to listen to, ya know?

Kudos to whomever mentioned Nick Drake.  A big favorite of mine.  John Fahey is also amazing; anyone impressed with Drake's playing would be blown away by Fahey.  I believe Jimmy Page even admits to ripping Fahey off.

131666[/snapback]

That was me. Drake is absolutely amazing. Too bad he had to go so early... :D

Guest Guest_buftex_*
I have been reading some of the Lester Bangs stuff online tonight- good stuff!  One of the sights said he was a cross between Hunter S Thompson, Charles Butowski and Jack Keruac.  I have been surfing Coltrane sights too.  Holy stevestojan- I have never been on www.johncoltrane.com  It cranks out all his greatest works in its entirity.  Coltrane was the smoothest mofo ever!

131613[/snapback]

One of my favorite Lester Bangs lines, while reviewing a Paul McCartney & Wings album ("Wings at the Speed of Sound" I think) "This is the biggest flop by a major group since the Book of Genesis". That line always stuck with me, working in record stores for years, I have found myself repeating that line over and over, like it was mine.....thanks Lester!

Greatest songs ever:

"Lost Highway" - Hank Williams Sr (one of the few songs he did, that he did not write)

"Tumbling Dice"- Rolling Stones

"Whiteman in the Hammersmith Palais"- The Clash

"Don't Let Me Down" - the Beatles

"You've Got a Lot of Nerve"- Bob Dylan

"Here Comes A Regular"- The Replacements

"Going Mobile"- The Who

"A Man You Don't Meet Every Day"- The Pouges

"No Sign Of Water"- The Damnations

"Brandy"- Looking Glass

Guest Guest_buftex_*
One of my favorite Lester Bangs lines, while reviewing a Paul McCartney & Wings album ("Wings at the Speed of Sound" I think) "This is the biggest flop by a major group since the Book of Genesis".  That line always stuck with me, working in record stores for years, I have found myself repeating that line over and over, like it was mine.....thanks Lester!

Greatest songs ever:

"Lost Highway" - Hank Williams Sr (one of the few songs he did, that he did not write)

"Tumbling Dice"- Rolling Stones

"Whiteman in the Hammersmith Palais"- The Clash

"Don't Let Me Down" - the Beatles

"You've Got a Lot of Nerve"- Bob Dylan

"Here Comes A Regular"- The Replacements

"Going Mobile"- The Who

"A Man You Don't Meet Every Day"- The Pouges

"No Sign Of Water"- The Damnations

"Brandy"- Looking Glass

131715[/snapback]

Oh, and how could I forget:

"The Harder They Come" - Jimmy Cliff

Right on ! Old Genesis....nothing else past or present can or will compare. Love that whole 70's progressive rock era. King Crimson, ELP, Yes great concerts, great memories.

Did anyone ever go see Pegasus, mid seventies prog band in Buffalo. McVans?

131645[/snapback]

Yeah, Mark Freeland's old band, one of many...I could never stand the guy....

It is my sworn duty too spread joy, through JB, to the World!!!  B)

131680[/snapback]

Hey Jeff Buckley is alread a big enough rip-off of many predecessors, don't steal James Browns' nickname (JB) too! I miss the old days when an artist had to have a body of work to be considered a genius. Buckley had one good album, and loads of outtakes and covers. Nick Drakes' three albums blow him away! Chicks dig 'em though!

Metal Church, Metal Church. I dusted that off a few weeks ago. Friggin Classic!

Just one???

Because I can't follow instructions...

Alice In Chains "I Stay Away"

Jeff Buckley "Lover, You Should've Come Over"

For all you Metal Heads, and you know who you are, I always thought Metal Church's "God's Of Wrath" was the perfect Metal Song...

P.S. I LOVE these Threads!

131620[/snapback]

saw them open for Ozzy in 92 I think. Layne had a broken leg and was in a wheel(Angry) chair. Great show. My girlfriend has old headbangers ball on VHS with a lot of them, including the water park episode.

Alice In Chains "I Stay Away"

---------

It's amazing how many people absolutely love their stuff. My favorite band ever as well. Never got to see them in concert but I got to see Jerry Cantrell with Metallica in 1998. He rocked.

131650[/snapback]

I had never heard of him before I posted on this forum soliciting music recommendations.....a few people mentioned him, so I went ahead and picked up a copy of Grace. The whole albumn is very good, and he's amazingly talented......his rendition of 'Hallelujah' is so emotional that I never tire of listening to it. Now that I understand the lyrics better (reference the story of King David), the song is a masterpiece in my mind. He did not author it, but he made it all his own in his delivery.

131657[/snapback]

I was who seconded "Grace" at the time. They've since done a 10-year anniversary release, expanded with B-sides and a DVD with his four music videos and a short documentary-style "Making of..." He was going to be one of the greats.

That said, there's a lot more to "Hallelujah" than you're taking from it. The man's own words:

"Whoever listens carefully to "Hallelujah" will discover that it is a song about sex, about love, about life on earth. The hallelujah is not a homage to a worshipped person, idol or god, but the hallelujah of the orgasm. It's an ode to life and love."

-- Jeff Buckley

I don't know if I should recommend reading a lot about his life and death b/c it can become an all-consuming thing and leave you with more questions than you start with. Connections to the mythical Orpheus, E.A. Poe, Rilke, etc. "Mystery White Boy" was apt, that's for sure.

JB: In Words

The FAQ section is extensive.

I've been to the following states.

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan

Kentucky

Tennessee

Louisiana

Alabama

Florida

Minnesota

Illinois

Pennsylvania

New York

New Jersey

Arizona

California

Texas

Oklahoma

Nevada

Wyoming

Iowa

Missouri

Georgia

Utah

Colorado

Kansas

Wisconsin

By my count that's half the Union.  I might even be forgetting a few, so yes I've been out of Indiana.

131539[/snapback]

I tried... I really did, to ignore BF in this post... but i had to step in. First of all, making fun of Darin (and you know how me and Darin get along :D) for living in Alaska is the most ig.norant thing I have heard on this board to date (and that includes anything I have said). Then, you list all the states you have "been to". Brandon, there is a distinct difference between "driven through" and "been to". By your account I have been to NY, PA, West VA, VA, NC, SC, GA and FLA. However there BF, at the most, I stopped to take a piss in three of those states, and slept in a motel off of I-95 in GA. I would never say I have "been" to SC. If taking a piss in a port-a-crapper on the side of the road constitutes being well traveled, well, then call me Jacques f-cking Cousteau.

I tried... I really did, to ignore BF in this post... but i had to step in. First of all, making fun of Darin (and you know how me and Darin get along :D) for living in Alaska is the most ig.norant thing I have heard on this board to date (and that includes anything I have said).  Then, you list all the states you have "been to". Brandon, we there is a distinct difference between "driven through" and "been to". By your account I have been to NY, PA, West VA, VA, NC, SC, GA and FLA. However there BF, at the most, I stopped to take a piss in three of those states, and slept in a motel off of I-95 in GA. I would never say I have "been" to SC. If taking a piss in a port-a-crapper on the side of the road constitutes being well traveled, well, then call me Jacques f-cking Cousteau.

131891[/snapback]

:flirt: