Nix Gets Nice Slam On "Whitey"....

BillsPhan

He's never been a GM, he's always been a role player. He finally gets a GM job at 70 and he is acting like a bully who was hired by Ralph to DEFEND the franchise, not run it. Again, what other GM says these things? The task at hand is monumental for him; rebuliding a franchise that is in utter turmoil, has limilted asssets and is thin on personell. I'm thinking that would humble you a bit. Good luck Buddy, ask Lil Donte how quickly the fans turn on you when your mouth writes checks that your a** can't cash.

:unsure:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I welcome Buddy's no-nonsense approach. He reminds me of the difference between book-smart and street-smart. Book-smart (Levy, Jauron) didn't work out too well over the past four seasons. Let's see what street-smart can do.

Nix, especially after taking a shot at the Raiders, reminds of an un-polished crude classless individual. He's a perfect fit for Buffalo. :unsure:

Link: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/938892.html

Buddy Nix defended his hiring of Chan in the excellent article above. As he was doing so, he made an awesome backhanded insult that fit Tom Donahoe's hiring of Greggggggg Williams perfectly. He said:

"A guy who hires off of interviews is going to get himself in big trouble," Nix said. "There are some guys who interview well. Check their history. That tells you what you need to know."

Who can forget Donahoe raving about the interview Williams' gave back then? It was so long ago, I don't even remember the better qualified "hot" coaches out there we all hoped Whitey would bring in. I do remember that none of us were "rooting for" Gregg freakin' Williams. I am really starting to like Buddy. I think he's a hell of a lot smarter then he makes himself sound. It would not surprise me if he was intentionally slamming Williams and Donahoe, based on Gregggg shooting his cocky arrogant mouth off about "freezing Buffalo" these days!

Wait, this would mean that all those Leslie Frazier "blew the Bills away" in his interview and was the leading candidate for the Bills HC position rumors weren't true. This just can't be...

I love the guy and this article further shows why. He doesn't give a damn what 'experts' or some hyper depressive fans have to say about his hire. So he didn't beat Georgia, you don't fire a coach with a winning record and 6 bowl apperances because of that. As for as KC is concerned, their HC wanted to run his offense and call his plays. To do so he had to fire Gailey. And lets see isn't KC drafting ahead of us? Yeah that offense really lit it up after Gailey was fired :unsure:

I just wish we had Nix running the show way back instead of Donahoe. I am convinced we would be contenders by now.

Nix was busy making the Chargers into contenders at that point :w00t:

We shall see, in the next couple of years, who is right! Nix and Chan or the rest of world! Coaching and talent wins championships, not GMs who are street smart.

uh, yeah, but it takes the street-smart GM to FIND the coaching and talent.

I Like the way that most people on the TSW claim they want the team to have an attitude and how it all starts from the top. Well, now the attitude is starting from the top and all of a sudden we aren't happy with it? I think it shows the players and coaches that he isn't going to take any BS. I personally like the attitude that he is displaying and it is a nice change of pace from the whole "let's have class" and "we don't want to offend anyone" approach. If Nix is a good leader then everyone else will follow. Hopefully we will see some fire from this team that we haven't seen in a long time.

Whitey?

Tom Donahoe

Terry Donahoe's nickname on TSW (don't ask me why).

Who's Terry Donahoe? :w00t:

I Like the way that most people on the TSW claim they want the team to have an attitude and how it all starts from the top. Well, now the attitude is starting from the top and all of a sudden we aren't happy with it? I think it shows the players and coaches that he isn't going to take any BS. I personally like the attitude that he is displaying and it is a nice change of pace from the whole "let's have class" and "we don't want to offend anyone" approach. If Nix is a good leader then everyone else will follow. Hopefully we will see some fire from this team that we haven't seen in a long time.

:unsure: What he said.

Nix, especially after taking a shot at the Raiders, reminds of an un-polished crude classless individual. He's a perfect fit for Buffalo. :unsure:

To me, Nix is the GM version of HQ Rex Ryan. His abrasive attitude set the tone this season by turning the hapless team culture of the Jets around. Whether its something lasting time will tell.

If and how Nix translates this street figher attitude to acquiring the necessary talent to produce wins on the field is something we'll all be watching. Winning is going to be the only measure of success that counts.

Even if the Bills won the SB, someone on this board would complain about something they didn't like in the game of after the game or some crap. Look at when the Bills beat Miami this year, some people were actually complaining that the Bills ran the score up. Miami called a timeout late in that game, if they don't call a time out, the Bills probably take a knee. But they called a TO and told the Bills staff that they weren't giving up, so why should Buffalo. That's just the mentality of some of yahoo's on this board, you're never going to make everyone happy here. If the Bills hired Bill Cowher, this board would have been split as well. As far as Nix, I love the attitude! I want a GM that says what's on his mind and doesn't act all PC as to not offend anyone. If he's straight forward with the media, you can bet that he's straight forward with the coaches, owner, and players as well.

He's never been a GM, he's always been a role player. He finally gets a GM job at 70 and he is acting like a bully who was hired by Ralph to DEFEND the franchise, not run it. Again, what other GM says these things? The task at hand is monumental for him; rebuliding a franchise that is in utter turmoil, has limilted asssets and is thin on personell. I'm thinking that would humble you a bit. Good luck Buddy, ask Lil Donte how quickly the fans turn on you when your mouth writes checks that your a** can't cash.

I've been looking at a variety of NFL info sites to find an exceptional GM who was a GM before he became a GM. I've found a few who were GM's for other teams before they got a job for another team, but haven't been able to find one who was always a GM before he was a GM. I haven't wiki'd yet.

and, um, it seems Bill Polian says those kinds of things (or worse).

I understand the hesitation to jump on the Buddy bandwagon, but knocking him for being a role player seems a bit harsh. he was an assistant GM for a successful team, and while assistant does not guarantee success at the next stop, he likely would have gained some valuable insight into what happens at that level.

I'm not a guy who assumes that things automatically work just because a change has made, but as a fan my options are pretty limited. support the team and hope for the best, or just be miserable. i've done both.

Buddy Nix is who he is. Chan is who he is. I could personally care less how they says what they say. WIN SOME FOOTBALL GAMES.

end of story.

Even if the Bills won the SB, someone on this board would complain about something they didn't like in the game of after the game or some crap. Look at when the Bills beat Miami this year, some people were actually complaining that the Bills ran the score up. Miami called a timeout late in that game, if they don't call a time out, the Bills probably take a knee. But they called a TO and told the Bills staff that they weren't giving up, so why should Buffalo. That's just the mentality of some of yahoo's on this board, you're never going to make everyone happy here. If the Bills hired Bill Cowher, this board would have been split as well. As far as Nix, I love the attitude! I want a GM that says what's on his mind and doesn't act all PC as to not offend anyone. If he's straight forward with the media, you can bet that he's straight forward with the coaches, owner, and players as well.

Too true. After a SB win I'm sure we'd hear; "They were lucky that so and so call didn't go against them.", "The other team wasn't even trying.", "The Bills didn't win the game. The other team gave it to them." "Did you see Gailey after the win? What the hell expression was that on his face for?" and on and on.

You have to realize that Nix being the Bills new GM is taking many shots from the media (both local and national) and some fans. It's better that he fires back sometimes then just sits there and takes it
"Better" in what way? I can see that it makes the franchise look like it is run with a dash of premature pompous buffoonery with the drive-by blasting of bystanders.
uh, yeah, but it takes the street-smart GM to FIND the coaching and talent.

Where did you come up with this nugget of "net wizdem"?

Buddy Nix is who he is. Chan is who he is. I could personally care less how they says what they say. WIN SOME FOOTBALL GAMES.end of story.

This is my point. Win some games and then you can say whatever the hell you want. Until then, Nix just comes off as clueless when he slams the Raiders. Last time I checked the Bills are just as big of a debacle as the Raiders, in fact, I believe the Raiders went to the Super Bowl in the last decade.

Speculate all you want on Nix's role with the Chargers, guess what, he's gone and the Bolts had another solid draft. So while all the Bills myiopians on this board want to give him all of the credit and rope to hang himself, I think he comes off amateurish and tackless and I have my doubts.

BTW, I think Polian has earned the right to say whatever the hell he wants, so please leave Good Ol Buddy's name out of the same sentence with the greatest football GM of all time please.

Very Well Put Sir..... if he takes shots at other organizations out in the open about poor players, I don't think he is going to pull any punches behind closed doors about his own. Much needed.

Nix feels the same way I do. Having worked with way too many "interview well" types, they're mostly all talk and no show.

Gregggg can say what he wants about Buffalo but I notice he's very quiet about Washington. I think that's beacuse even a dumbas* like Dan Snyder saw thru all his BS. Remember Dan took Jim Zorn over Gregggg! Dan Snyder also likely has connections that would shut Greggg up permanently, if Dan wanted to. So keep running your mouth AND looking over your shoulder Gregggg!

Link: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/938892.html

Buddy Nix defended his hiring of Chan in the excellent article above. As he was doing so, he made an awesome backhanded insult that fit Tom Donahoe's hiring of Greggggggg Williams perfectly. He said:

"A guy who hires off of interviews is going to get himself in big trouble," Nix said. "There are some guys who interview well. Check their history. That tells you what you need to know."

Who can forget Donahoe raving about the interview Williams' gave back then? It was so long ago, I don't even remember the better qualified "hot" coaches out there we all hoped Whitey would bring in. I do remember that none of us were "rooting for" Gregg freakin' Williams. I am really starting to like Buddy. I think he's a hell of a lot smarter then he makes himself sound. It would not surprise me if he was intentionally slamming Williams and Donahoe, based on Gregggg shooting his cocky arrogant mouth off about "freezing Buffalo" these days!

This isn't a slam against anybody.

It's a slam against a method, a method of hiring which is fairly prevalent in the NFL and everywhere.

Hearing that as a slam on Donahoe is like listening to a guy slamming presidents building up the deficit. Liberals hear that and say "Yeah, way to slam Bush, baby." Conservatives hear it and say "He's talking about Obama." Economists hear it and say "He's talking about the political system itself."

And even though they may all have a case, the guy was just speaking generally.