sully's newest article

rpcolosi

funny how he points out all the blunders under Modrak, yet doesn't give any props to the fact that the year Buddy Nix came back to the organization we hit 3 out of 4 in the first 2 rounds... hearing that Modrak wanted Cushing over Maybin, also makes you wonder how much RW or DJ had to play...

I know this has been talked about at length on here, but figured if Sully is going to bash modrak for "his drafts" as the irishman puts it, then he sure as heck better give credit to our best draft class in awhile thanks to Buddy...

It doesn't matter who the GM, HC, or College Scouting Director is. If RW has any input into picks beside signing the check, the franchise will not move forward.

It's far too early to say the Bills have hit on 3 out of 4 picks and reminds me of those who proclaimed the 2006 draft as stellar. Four years later, the 06 and 07 drafts have produced exactly one starter. And truth be told, I expect guards picked in rounds 1 and 2 to be very good. Now, let's see if they can find a QB, LT, and or pass rusher. Those are the hardest positions to draft, with G, RB, and LB being easier.

funny how he points out all the blunders under Modrak, yet doesn't give any props to the fact that the year Buddy Nix came back to the organization we hit 3 out of 4 in the first 2 rounds... hearing that Modrak wanted Cushing over Maybin, also makes you wonder how much RW or DJ had to play...

I know this has been talked about at length on here, but figured if Sully is going to bash modrak for "his drafts" as the irishman puts it, then he sure as heck better give credit to our best draft class in awhile thanks to Buddy...

I would say that Maybin was RW. When Nevergiveup was posting about the draft, he mentioned that the Ohio State/Buffalo Bills connection was no mistake (see Whitner, Donte.) He made this comment in reference to somebody suggesting Tressel as our HC. It would not surprise me if RW has a friend in Happy Valley, and determined that Maybin was going to be a star.

I think that with this comment "Modrak has been running the draft since 2002" Sully's article belongs in the trash bin. I guess "commentary" is synonymous with making things up at TBN.

I think that with this comment "Modrak has been running the draft since 2002" Sully's article belongs in the trash bin. I guess "commentary" is synonymous with making things up at TBN.

Not only that, how is it that they get to pick both DeAngelo Williams and Nick Mangold (from the 06 draft), both of whom went in the first round right after McCargo? Who's making that trade (the 27tn and 29th pick for the 26th pick) to the Bills?

exactly... it is not "modrak's draft" nor has he been running it. the people running it were - Donahoe, Marv and Russ. Sure he is head of college scouting but he had some big honcho's above him. It would be a mistake to fire one of our most well respected talent evaluators simply because he has never been in position to always get "his" guy.

I would say that Maybin was RW. When Nevergiveup was posting about the draft, he mentioned that the Ohio State/Buffalo Bills connection was no mistake (see Whitner, Donte.) He made this comment in reference to somebody suggesting Tressel as our HC. It would not surprise me if RW has a friend in Happy Valley, and determined that Maybin was going to be a star.

Hint: Ralph's friend has beautiful hair.

Makes me sad to think how good the Bills "Could have been"

I think that the Bryant McKinnie "miss" and the big swing and a whiff on McCargo really hurt. How does a team consistently blow first round draft picks?? Are they taking lessons from Detroit? (Ralph does live there you know...)

maybe Jerry Sullivan reads this message board......i posted this days ago:

Jan 24 2010, 01:14 PM Post #20

heres hoping we do better this year.........

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( #4 NT in NFL))

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

2004- Lee Evans (#13) or Vince Wilfork (#21) ( #3 NT in NFL)

2004- #43 traded to Dal or Bob Sanders (#44) (All Pro Safety)

2003- #14 traded to NE for Bledsoe or Troy Polamulu (#16)

2003- McGahee (#23) or Dallas Clark (#24) or Nnamdi Asomugha(#31)

2002- Mike Williams (#4) or Dwight Feeney(#11) or Albert Haynesworth (#15) or Ed Reed (#24)

thats enough pain......

what an assinine article. since none of the players we didnt take were #1 overall, that means other teams had the chance to take them too and passed .... to be fair then you'd have to do an analysis of how each team's alternate pick fared. it also fails to ackowledge that all teams draft for needs. when we traded a pick for bledsoe, for example, it's because we needed a QB. and everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot anyway.

no i'm not happy with some our picks, especially mccargo of the more recent ones. but this type of "journalism" would likely get a "D" grade in any decent journalism program.

if anyone is looking for that negative POS sports writer wannabe to give buddy nix any credit for anything - you will waiting for a long time - especially after buddy slammed the media, and that idiot in particular (albeit in a polite way), at the presser introducing coach gailey.

in fact if you watch there will be more and more press releases banging buddy nix because they dont like to be made to look like the fools they are - not that anyone has to help them - they do a pretty good job of looking the fool all by themselves.

I find it amusing that he tries to portray this as if we could have had ALL those guys. Some of them were not "needs" at that point in time either. But, I just really get a kick out of the fact that this idiot makes it sound like ALL of those guys "could have been" ours.

For example...we could have either had Nnamdi Asomugha OR Dallas Clark. NOT both of them, like he makes it sound.

And did anybody else notice that he claims we got Mike Williams, JP Losman AND Lee Evans ALL in the 1st round of 2004?

That is not correct...or did I miss something?

(This newspaper reporter, "Sully", sounds like quite the D double O ess H - BAG!

I love how the McCargo pick is blamed for not getting three of his "All Sullen" team: Nick Mangold, DeAngelo Williams and even Demeco Ryans. It's like the loaves and the fishes. Instead of a single bust - we could have had all three wonderful players. Brilliant!

Sully is a weathervane with no recollection of what he writes one day to the next. I once e-mailed him after he bashed the Bills for drafting Mike Williams. I pointed out to him how he praised the pick the day it happened. He wrote me back saying that if I didn't understand how the "newspaper game" worked I should get a clue. I guess I shouldn't hate the playa' but hate the game?

PTR

exactly... it is not "modrak's draft" nor has he been running it. the people running it were - Donahoe, Marv and Russ. Sure he is head of college scouting but he had some big honcho's above him. It would be a mistake to fire one of our most well respected talent evaluators simply because he has never been in position to always get "his" guy.

Our drafts don't belong to any one person, they have been collaborative efforts. Pick by pick, we can't possibly know the precise degree of Modrak's or anyone elses input. Modrak however can't escape some responsibility for what has been an almost unbroken string of disasters. He plays a role in our drafts, exactly how big a role year to year we just don't know but he is obviously a major player.

Sully is a weathervane with no recollection of what he writes one day to the next. I once e-mailed him after he bashed the Bills for drafting Mike Williams. I pointed out to him how he praised the pick the day it happened. He wrote me back saying that if I didn't understand how the "newspaper game" worked I should get a clue. I guess I shouldn't hate the playa' but hate the game?

PTR

It seems the guys in the "newspaper game" can dish it out, but they can't take it. After I went to a UFL game where I basically counted the fans in the stands by using the fact that most of the people were in 2 sections and I knew how many seats were in each section, then was able to count the rest of the fans, I came to the conclusion there were between 1,500-1,800 in attendance. I also verified my count by reviewing photos I took of every section when attendance would be at its peak, the middle of the 1st quarter (a ton left at halftime). When I saw the paper had stated there were over 5,000 fans in the stands, I e-mailed the guy, questioning his motivation for reporting his number because I felt he was reporting it since Hartford wants a UFL expansion team. The guy went totally balistic because I questioned his journalistic integrity. At one point in his reply he claimed I couldn't have estimated the attendance any better than he did. He asked if I had counted every person in the stands. I agreed to disagree because I saw this was going nowhere, and apologized for questioning his integrity, but I did state in my reply, as a matter of fact, I basically did count the attendance. I also offered to send him my photos, but he didn't reply and ask for them.

what an assinine article. since none of the players we didnt take were #1 overall, that means other teams had the chance to take them too and passed .... to be fair then you'd have to do an analysis of how each team's alternate pick fared. it also fails to ackowledge that all teams draft for needs. when we traded a pick for bledsoe, for example, it's because we needed a QB. and everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot anyway.

no i'm not happy with some our picks, especially mccargo of the more recent ones. but this type of "journalism" would likely get a "D" grade in any decent journalism program.

Thank you.

I find it amusing that he tries to portray this as if we could have had ALL those guys. Some of them were not "needs" at that point in time either. But, I just really get a kick out of the fact that this idiot makes it sound like ALL of those guys "could have been" ours.

Folks: It's a thought experiment. It's not like he's saying we could've had all of them... but if you stack up all the misses, you've got yourself a damn great team. And while Joe_the_6_pack is right that other teams didn't take these players either, I think that we can't protest too much with the results: Most of those other teams have made the playoffs since 2002.

I know it's fun to trash Sully here, but that article made me pretty sad. (Almost as much as papazoid's post did a few days ago! I would worry more about Jerry stealing good ideas for articles on this board rather than dissing his larger point here.)