What Chargers and Chiefs will be Bills next year?

Nanker

It's an historical fact that coaches and GMs frequently bring in talent to their new team from the players they've worked with in the past. Here's who will potentially be on the market from the Bolts and Clovis Points in this year's crop.

Any of these worth getting excited about... I'm not so sure. :wallbash:

From FootballsFuture.com listing of 2010 free agents:

A list of potential QB, OL, LB, DL and other FA candidates from the Chiefs and Chargers 2010 FAs.

QB

Brodie Croyle, Kansas City Chiefs (27)

OT

Marcus McNeill, San Diego Chargers (26)

McNeill isn’t playing at an elite level this year, but is still an above average left tackle. He’s one of the “bigger” names at the left tackle position thanks to his spectacular and deservedly-hyped rookie season. McNeill has also been undercompensated the last few years playing on his rookie contract as a 2nd round pick, which may incline him to ask for more money than he “deserves.” Any of the Chargers could feasibly be had this offseason and McNeill is no different, but with some of the offensive line woes of the Chargers, McNeill may be one of their top priorities. His long-term neck and back problems could be in the back of the team’s mind as well.

Jeromey Clary, San Diego Chargers (26) – Restricted FA

Rudy Niswanger, Kansas City Chiefs (27)

DT

Travis Johnson, San Diego Chargers (28)

LB

Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers (26)

With his first two sacks since returning from injury coming in week 8, Merriman doesn’t seem to be exactly the same player he was prior to his injury, which is to be somewhat expected. He lacks the explosiveness he had in the past, but some of that should return after this offseason as it continues to heal. The Chargers defense has been a large liability so it becomes a question whether or not the team wants to even commit that much money to a player who has been pretty unproductive. What the Chargers do with Merriman will be a decision based on the ultimate risk-reward analysis, as well as a decision reflecting which of their many free agents they choose to and are able to retain. Remember that the team also drafted pass rusher Larry English in the first round last year. The best guess is that the Chargers will place a franchise tag on Merriman, so as to not commit a long-term deal, but also not to allow the former All-Pro to just walk away.

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (27)

Zach Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs (37) - not very likely

Mike Vrabel, Kansas City Chiefs (35) - also not very likely

RB

Darren Sproles, San Diego Chargers (27)

It’s very difficult to measure the importance of Darren Sproles because his greatest value isn’t as a traditional runner. With Tomlinson also struggling to get the running game moving, Sproles’ lack of success pounding the ball can be partially attributed to a below average run blocking unit. Still, Sproles is best when put on a touch count and given most of his work on screens and the return game. He won’t make $6.6 million a year, like he’s making on his franchise tender, but will get a good mid-level contract rewarding him for his explosiveness and unique contributions. Sproles is one of the league’s best back-up or change-of-pace backs. As an unrestricted free agent, I have the hunch that other teams will overpay for his services, while the Chargers will rely on their history of drafting successful running backs to keep the running game alive. It could be fullback Mike Tolbert who sees his share of touches increase.

WR

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)

Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere.

Mark Bradley, Kansas City Chiefs (28)

Chris Chambers, Kansas City Chiefs (32)

Bobby Wade, Kansas City Chiefs (29)

I think that if they franchise Merriman which they should, we should trade Lynch for him straight up... What do you think? Almost feels realistic, then again with Gailey here Lynch is our BUS

Lynch is not going to fetch anything significant in trade, especially not Merriman. Lynch is a backup running back/

marginal starter with off-the-field problems and one mis-step away from another suspension.

I think that if they franchise Merriman which they should, we should trade Lynch for him straight up... What do you think? Almost feels realistic, then again with Gailey here Lynch is our BUS

i just dont think that Merriman has been or will ever be the same after getting busted for the juice. i'd pass on him

Pick up McNeil and the OL is set. If Nix feels he is the right player its worth overpaying if necessary. If the new DC wants to play the 3-4 we needt to also go after a big DT... ideally Willfork. If you get both these players you can go QB and LB in the first two rounds of the draft. If we pick Bradford up at the 9... there should be some really good LBs still available in round two.

Regardless of Merriman pre- or post- injury/'roids, I'd take him over Mitchell or Ellison, combined!

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but outside of rushing the passer from the OLB in a 3-4, what else is he good at? Can he play the run or cover a TE or RB with speed?

I always thought of him as a 3-4 rush LB who really didn't play the run that well, but I may be wrong...

I'm not so sure about Merriman either. McNeill could be a good pickup.

It'll be interesting to see what the Chan Man does regarding Lynch. Coach does emphasize the running game and that's something that we haven't focused on IMHO very well since Thurman left.

Pick up McNeil and the OL is set. If Nix feels he is the right player its worth overpaying if necessary. If the new DC wants to play the 3-4 we needt to also go after a big DT... ideally Willfork. If you get both these players you can go QB and LB in the first two rounds of the draft. If we pick Bradford up at the 9... there should be some really good LBs still available in round two.

Wilfork will never want to come here. He will be on a contending team. I mean really, Who do you think will want to come here. No big name products. Just like the coaching search.

Wilfork will never want to come here. He will be on a contending team. I mean really, Who do you think will want to come here. No big name products. Just like the coaching search.

Players will come here, but we will obviously need to have the best financial offer. Players are different than coaches, especially entering their second or third contract. While winning is important, they understand that they need to maximize their earning during their short playing career. Not too many will walk from a contract that will clearly pay them more.

I am not saying that Willfork is our guy, but to say no big name free agents would come to Buffalo is incorrect and typical cry baby mentality that our fan base has.

I don't think they will franchise Merriman, he was all but invisible this year, especially in the playoffs. He hasn't been the same since his injury, and maybe since being forced to get off the juice. With that said, we still couldn't get him for Lynch, who won't get us crap. He is a backup running back, who is declining already, and is one more Lynch like off season screw up from being suspended for an entire season. One Charger who will be available and I think it would be great to bring him in behind Jackson is LT. No way they bring him back to S.D.

Not so sure about that. In the NFL you have to make the money when you can. Wilfork already has rings. He might like to play against the Pats*? He might like the challenge? I think if we have DC with a good rep you never know. He will go were the money is. Time to open the vault Ralph.

If we dont move to a 34 than I would like Derrick Johnson as an OLB. He was a good player getting better before they changed systems. He struggled in the 34 so I wouldnt want him if they make the switch.

I wouldnt mind Malcolm Floyd for the right price. We are goign to need a ton of WRs this offseason. We may go into the offseason with only 3 on the roster (Evans, Hardy, Johnson) cause TO is gone, Reed is gone, and Roscoe should be gone.

I know I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I'd like to see Croyle in an open competition for the QB job next year. If we don't resign TO (as is most likely the case), Chambers or Bradley would be a nice addition because Hardy will need some time to get into a rhythm, assuming he gets it together at all.

Players will come here, but we will obviously need to have the best financial offer. Players are different than coaches, especially entering their second or third contract. While winning is important, they understand that they need to maximize their earning during their short playing career. Not too many will walk from a contract that will clearly pay them more.

I am not saying that Willfork is our guy, but to say no big name free agents would come to Buffalo is incorrect and typical cry baby mentality that our fan base has.

Totally agree. The only players that you will usually see choosing winning over money is veterans who are on the downside of their career.

Lynch is not going to fetch anything significant in trade, especially not Merriman. Lynch is a backup running back/

marginal starter with off-the-field problems and one mis-step away from another suspension.

Hey here's an idea ? We need D line help and may be going to a 3 -4 & Seymore wants out of Oakland so let's send Lynch close to home in the land of misfit toys (for Uncle Al) and bring Seymore back east to good ole Buffalo & there's a start for our 3 - 4 . What about it ??

Hey here's an idea ? We need D line help and may be going to a 3 -4 & Seymore wants out of Oakland so let's send Lynch close to home in the land of misfit toys (for Uncle Al) and bring Seymore back east to good ole Buffalo & there's a start for our 3 - 4 . What about it ??

It's fun to speculate. What if we do sign Pees as DC. That - and a ton of bucks might get Wolfolk and Seymore here. I rather think the Patsies would not like to be lining up twice a year against that trio. Of course it won't happen, but it's fun to think about.

Well if Lynch seems so undesirable to us..just imagine with our perception around the leaugue just how undesirable Lynch or anyone from the Bills probably would be. It's takes two interested teams to want to trade..and I think that we would be all for a trade like that...but I doubt San Diego would! I would put 100/1 odds against it if I were to place bets on sports. I like the idea...but just don't see it happening. Do you see any trades anymore in the NFL?? Maybe during the draft but I'm trying to remember any big trades recently?? Most teams cut undesirable players anymore it seems like...or don't resign them when they become free agents. I can't stand Lynch and think there may be some trade value there but I doubt anyone would jump for Lynch if it meant surrendering a viable player or sacrificing a draft pick in the first 3 rounds...maybe even 4 with his continious legal problems and poor personal conduct. The next suspension he receives for any law violations will probably be substantial 6 games to 16 games depending on the severity of the infraction. Lynch has also not been as a very productive running back in comparison to previous years. His average yards per gain has declined and giving that he plays a bruising style with little run support from the offensive line his body has been battered. He may be viewed as a player on the decline as the average running back only has a 4-5 year shelf like ie: Terrell Davis (Denver)..a world beater for a few years and then he disintergrated! Likely value would be a 5th round pick on the trade market! Lynch is not our BUS either! There is little comparsion between Jerome Bettis and M. Lynch! I hate pittsburgh (miami, Dallas, skins, giants, patriots,) but you have to respect their team play and player contributions over the years. When Pittsburgh needed Jerome Bettis to get two yards at the goal line, he would get it in and get the touchdown...You just cannot say that about M. Lynch at all ! As a matter of fact it's just the opposite...that is why we have such red zone (one of many reasons) problems for the past several years. We don't have the big back to punch it into the endzone! This is a long blog as it's necessary to squash blogs that don't make much sense and although I love what you are hoping for and hope for the same..I also am football savvy enough to know that it isn't likely to happen...and that although we have inflated value over some of our players (I do as well), that M. Lynch, P. Poluzsny, R. Parrish, T. Edwards, R. Fitszpatrick, R. Denney, S. Johnson, (on and on) don't have much star power and are not household names in this leaugue outside of the Bills Nation! We are two to three drafts away from possibly having a good football team! Don't count on much in the way of free agency as Buddy Nix immediately squashed that notion in his acceptance speech as GM. He mentioned that the best way to build a team is through the draft and something to the effect that he doesn't believe in going after your big name big price free agents only one or two middle of the road players to fill some personnel gaps in the roster. This team is unfortunately several players away from expecting immediate results on the field. Don't be surprised if the Bills don't take a step backwards before they can take two steps forward! There is some housecleaning to do yet! (In my opinion that should include Tom Modrak, but don't anticipate him getting the ax this year.) I think M. Lynch could be a player casualty during the off-season and T.O. as well. But don't look for the Bills to purge too much as they can't fill all their holes in the draft! The defense is solid enough to help the Bills be respectable in 2010 providing they can get a DT that can stuff the middle..With a solid draft, one average f.agent QB, one good left tackle in the draft or f.agent, the Bills could be a 7-9 win team, but realistically and based on previous acquisitions and drafts I am going to predict 6 wins once again for 2010 !! :wallbash:

Totally agree. The only players that you will usually see choosing winning over money is veterans who are on the downside of their career.

We can get alot of good players in for interviews, just like Shanahan coming here, they do it to raise their asking price around the league. This organizaton for the most part, gets used as a pawn to bargain a players contract higher.