Why does EVERYONE hate Gailey?

Some would hate anybody. Some would like anybody. And some, like me, are ambivalent.

Chan Gailey Career NFL Record: 18–16–0

Basically a .500 guy in the past. Assuming he hasn't somehow become a lot better over the last year, expecting the same in Buffalo sounds reasonable. So we would be looking at 8-8 seasons, give or take a game or two. Nothing to hate or jump off a bridge about, but nothing to get overly excited about either I'd say.

But then again, he does want the job which earns him bonus points.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-brian-billick/ = read the comments

Every team he has ever been on had a winning season...

I don't understand why this was a bad move!

Someone please fill me in :blink:

Personally, I don't "hate" Chan Gailey at all. But what Buffalo Bills management doesn't understand is that they have "lost the benefit of the doubt" with most observers (fans and across the NFL). Virtually everything Bills management has done for the past 10 years looks like short-sighted, "let's make money, we don't care about winning, and if we do we're too stupid to know any better" type decisions. Let's look at the last 10 years. Buffalo's drafts? Disastrous. GM's? Disastrous. Head Coaches? Disastrous. Toronto-Fiasco? Unbelievably Disastrous. Free Agent Record? Disastrous. You add that to the league-wide perception that Buffalo is a "small market" and it's "damn cold up there" and you have a major image problem. With a major image problem you can't get good people to come turn it around (players AND coaches). You have to "settle" for people that won't be considered for "more attractive options".

Bottom line. Ralph Wilson has meant a lot to the NFL and the city of Buffalo. But he is currently "part of the problem" for allowing the above to happen on his watch. Russ Brandon is an absolute disaster. Promoting him during all this is laughable. Maybe Chan Gailey can get it together and deliver. If so, fans will come back. But for now, the Bills have forfeited their right to the benefit of the doubt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-brian-billick/ = read the comments

Someone please fill me in :blink:

I don't hate the hire. But if reports are true that Marty ball and Billick wanted to come, it's going to come off as hatred towards Gailey, when it's just frustration from who we could have had.

Folks don't hate Chan Gailey - at least I don't think they do - but rather they hate the choice of Chan Gailey, probably because the Bills FO stupidly raised everyone's expectations so high we were under the impression that a real 'marquee name' coach was on the way.

When the Bills started dropping names like Shanahan, Cowher, Harbaugh, etc., they were not expecting to be rebuffed by all of them, and - probably unwittingly, like most decisions at OBD - set the fans up to be disappointed. And Nix can deny this, or spin things 'til he's blue in the face, but Bills fans are not stupid - when Nix says that Gailey was the only candidate he invited to meet the owner, that was because all the other candidates said, "No thanks," not because the Bills wouldn't extend the invite. (BTW - Harbaugh also declined the Raiders HC opportunity, if that makes anyone feel better - link)

My gut reaction to the Chan Gailey announcement was disgust & disappointment, probably because wishful thinking had me believing that with each candidate's refusal, we were getting closer to at least interviewing...

Mike Leach

...but also because RW/RB fed us delusions of grandeur, a expectaions for a marquee name, and hopes for a quick fix.

A day after the announcement, I've looked more closely at Chan Gailey's history and coaching resume - especially his experience as a QBs coach and OC - and I don't feel nearly so bad. I'm back on-board, and think Chan Gailey might just be the guy to 'right the ship'...

19 and 0 baby!!! :unsure:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

The Buffalo Bills are CHAN-TASTIC!!!!! :unsure:

Guest dog14787
Folks don't hate Chan Gailey - at least I don't think they do - but rather they hate the choice of Chan Gailey, probably because the Bills FO stupidly raised everyone's expectations so high we were under the impression that a real 'marquee name' coach was on the way.

When the Bills started dropping names like Shanahan, Cowher, Harbaugh, etc., they were not expecting to be rebuffed by all of them, and - probably unwittingly, like most decisions at OBD - set the fans up to be disppointed. And Nix can deny this, or spin things 'til he's blue in the face, but Bills fans are not stupid - when Nix says that Gailey was the only candidate he invited to meet the owner, that was because all the other candidates said, "No thanks," not because the Bills wouldn't extend the invite. (BTW - Harbaugh also declined the Raiders HC opportunity, if that makes anyone feel better - link)

My gut reaction to the Chan Gailey announcement was disgust & disappointment, probably because wishful thinking had me believing that with each candidate's refusal, we were getting closer to at least interviewing...

Mike Leach

...but also because RW/RB fed us delusions of grandeur, a expectaions for a marquee name, and hopes for a quick fix.

A day after the announcement, I've looked more closely at Chan Gailey's history and coaching resume - especially his experience as a QBs coach and OC - and I don't feel nearly so bad. I'm back on-board, and think Chan Gailey might just be the guy to 'right the ship'...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I share your sentiments on all accounts...

When the Bills started dropping names like Shanahan, Cowher, Harbaugh, etc., they were not expecting to be rebuffed by all of them, and - probably unwittingly, like most decisions at OBD - set the fans up to be disappointed. And Nix can deny this, or spin things 'til he's blue in the face, but Bills fans are not stupid - when Nix says that Gailey was the only candidate he invited to meet the owner, that was because all the other candidates said, "No thanks," not because the Bills wouldn't extend the invite. (BTW - Harbaugh also declined the Raiders HC opportunity, if that makes anyone feel better - link)

Mike Leach

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I am with you there. I am a least going to give the guy a chance.

I dont hate Gailey, I just hate the hire in general. He hasn't been an NFL head coach in 10 years, he's 58, and I had dreams of Cowher and Shannahan swirling in my brain.

It's kinda like when the really hot chick starts talking to you, and then she want to hook you up with her very plain friend.

Chan Gailey is a better choice than an unproven Frazier, B. Schott, Harbaugh or some dude from the CFL. If Cowher recommends and JJ regrets letting him go, then you cannot discredit him just on that fact he's not Cowher, Shanny, etc.

Be realistic. This guy was one of the most coveted OC's/HC's and chose college instead. This choice is better than any coach we've had in the past decade, and if this were 5 years ago we'd all be praising this selection.

And as for not picking Marty or Billick. Good call on that b/c that had disappointment written all over it.

I like the the decision, and just waiting for the final assessment on his coaching staff, the draft and FA pick-ups. Plus, you know he's going to have a fire under his butt to prove everyone wrong. I like a guy who needs to prove himself -- not like Mularkey, Williams or Jauron.

Chan Gailey is the Dick Jauron of offense. That is why I personally hate it - I won't generalize. He is a mediocre retread. He is "safe." He probably won't lose 13 games but he probably won't win more than 8. He is a good enough coach not to be embarrassing but not good enough to be elite. I hope I am wrong.

I am also upset because my guess is that he comes on the cheap and that was a big factor. He is probably still getting paid from KC and with no OC to pay it is even cheaper.

It's frustrating. This offseason promised hope. The Nix hire is also "safe." Not even considering someone outside is lazy bordering on reckless. If for nothing else to get some perspective from someone outside the circle of trust. Now it appears he doesn't even have authority to fire Guy and Overdorf (Modrak would stay till the draft) because you guessed it they would have to pay their salary and a replacements. Thoughts?

Someone please fill me in :unsure:

I'm OK with the hire, but if it's really true that Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job and was turned away, I'd have to rethink my opinion.

I don't hate Gailey or Jauron, or Mularkey or Gregg Williams. Calling it "hate" is an attempt to make it seem "irrational" to not like his hiring. It's not personal. We just didn't deserve another mediocre hire after putting up with the three aforementioned failures the last decade. As I've said before, if he's always winner he will win this year. If not, move on and institute some real change...like firing Modrak and John Guy for instance. No more continuity for the sake of continuity.

OK.. Read this carefully. People don't hate Chan Galey. Nice guy, decent coach. The problem is that once again the Bill's choose not to hire the best available coach. There are several more qualified coaches who would have come to Buffalo if interviewed and asked.

Marty S., Brian B., Leslie F., I'm positive that there are several other qualified coaches available. But once again. We are forced to settle.

Chan Gailey is a better choice than an unproven Frazier, B. Schott, Harbaugh or some dude from the CFL. If Cowher recommends and JJ regrets letting him go, then you cannot discredit him just on that fact he's not Cowher, Shanny, etc.

Be realistic. This guy was one of the most coveted OC's/HC's and chose college instead. This choice is better than any coach we've had in the past decade, and if this were 5 years ago we'd all be praising this selection.

And as for not picking Marty or Billick. Good call on that b/c that had disappointment written all over it.

I like the the decision, and just waiting for the final assessment on his coaching staff, the draft and FA pick-ups. Plus, you know he's going to have a fire under his butt to prove everyone wrong. I like a guy who needs to prove himself -- not like Mularkey, Williams or Jauron.

Sorry to add to my own response, but don't be surprised if Buddy doesn't bring in Marty for consulting aide. Their relationship is much stronger than has been reported. In my view, that's the best way Marty can be utilized to help the Bills.

I think that we were all pumped up for the possibility of the team landing a big name coach that anything less than a Cowher/Billick/Shotty is viewed as some sort of failure.

I actually think its the best move we made in a long time.

I think that we were all pumped up for the possibility of the team landing a big name coach that anything less than a Cowher/Billick/Shotty is viewed as some sort of failure.

I agree completely. I like the combo of gm and coach that are in place. I also would have liked Billick...not so much with Cowher. I think no matter what the case, even if it were Billick that was hired, the masses would still grumble. When his name was mentioned a couple weeks ago there were quite a few here that hated that idea. For some it was Cowher or Shanahan or nothing.

I agree too - and we would have been disappointed by any of these guys with unrealistic expectations. My problem is I always get faked out by thinking we are always a couple of years away from a good team. We do need to rebuild, but we have to have a short plan!

Quite simply, too many people don't like the Chan Gailey because he is not a marquis name. He's not Marty Schottenheimer, he's not Bill Cohwer, he's not Knute Rockne, he's not this season's hot coordinator. In other words, he's not the "easy" choice. A few years ago, the Washington NFL team with the racist name hired Joe Gibbs for a second go-round. That was a great marketing move. Everyone in DC envisioned a return to the glory days. Unfortunately, it was a terrible decision for the team and for Joe Gibbs, who only tarnished his reputation. In a way it reminds me of what corporate IT people called the "IBM" syndrome back in the 1980s. Corporate types would pick IBM for their computer needs and if it turned out badly, they'd say "But it was IBM, how could we know they couldn't do the job?"

As for me, I'll wait and see. Gailey seems to be a decent offensive mind. If he and Buddy pick a good defensive coordinator and staff, pick some good talent in the draft and free agency, then we could have a good team again.

If that happens I'll be happy. If if doesn't -- as Scarlett O'Hara says in Gone with the Wind, "tomorrow will be another day."

OK.. Read this carefully. People don't hate Chan Galey. Nice guy, decent coach. The problem is that once again the Bill's choose not to hire the best available coach. There are several more qualified coaches who would have come to Buffalo if interviewed and asked.

Marty S., Brian B., Leslie F., I'm positive that there are several other qualified coaches available. But once again. We are forced to settle.

Devil's advocate here: It is a good thing to have a HC/GM combination that can work together, has the same vision, and will work together -- you know teamwork -- than hire a "big name" coach that could not work with the GM or hire a newbie HC that is basically a puppet of the dictator.

The Buffalo Bills have a massive image problem, with the NFL in general, the media, and even with their own fans. It wouldn't hurt if their front office bought a clue on that major problem and tried to correct it. Smithers is supposed to be the slick willy salesman, why isn't he mugging for the cameras and front and center for the press?

I think there is backlash because (i) Bills fired Jauron early and trumped up significant changes were on horizon; (ii) Bills went on marketing mode to pitch the possibility of Cowher, Shanahan, etc and a bunch of other big names; and (iii) in the ultimate let down, they chose a guy that fell far short of what they were marketing. Kind of like saying you'll buy your girl friend a Ferrari and ultimately buying her a Pinto instead.

It's the Bills fault for promoting the promise of a new day with big names that ultimately didn't want to come here and the possibility of a GM that would change the culture. Not sure if they accomplished either of those promises.

But I am going to support Nix and Gailey come what may and hope for the best (Pintos did have a good 10 year run back in the day).

I`m old enough to remember the Levy hiring. Let me tell you it wasn`t well liked either. Hiring and old worn out coach from canada.Yeah some KC coaching exp. Give the man a chance. It`s not like you can do anything about it. He is here until Ralph is gone . All I can say is deal with it OR find another team.

Even the Imus in the morning show has been mocking the hire. Personally, I think it's going to work simply because the entire world thinks it won't.