Marty Schottenheimer

Wing Man

This is seriously unbelievable. I think I mentioned on here the day Jauron was fired how much I wanted Marty. He was the perfect coach for us.... perfect coach for Buffalo weather. Perfect coach for a small market team. A Buffalo guy. A tough guy. A winner. Best friends with the new GM, with the same philosophies on how to win and build a team. And most of all, a good, respected coach who WANTED TO BE HERE.

But old, cheap, senile Ralph Wilson "wasn't comfortable with him." UNBELIEVABLE. Seriously, unbelievable. Pathetic. A joke.

Whatever you want to call it... even if Gailey does well... just terrible. Totally, utterly, as the internet kids say, EPIC FAIL. I'm such a big homer that I convinced myself that Gailey might be the right choice. I'm such a big homer that I truly believe the games in Toronto are just to create extra revenue so that they can stay in Buffalo. I'm such a big homer that I still think JP Losman will be good. But holy crap... at the moment, this one seems unforgivable.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great minds think alike?

I don't think so. Ralph does not like Marty. I don't know exactly why, but I remember when the Bills beat Marty's Chiefs in the AFC Championship at Rich back in 1993 and Marty was not pleased about how the fans treated he and his team and he dissed the Bills and their fans after the game.

I was there, and that crowd was lit that day, and they did shock the relative peaceful and cordial KC fans who rolled in in buses to cheer their team with pom-poms in hand. Some of the worst behavior I have ever seen from Bills fans, but that's football and Bills fans have a reputation for being rude and obnoxious when they are winning. If Ralph is still hung up about that, I would not be surprised, but get over it.

boo hoo.

I don't know how closely you followed the Bills back then, but the two times we faced the Chiefs prior to that night were both in KC (one earlier that year, the other a MNF game a few years before that), in which we got our shorts handed to us and we had to suffer through that stupid tomahawk chant through the fourth quarters of those games. All of Arrowhead standing in red doing that stupid chop with the stupid chant while the Bills are getting smacked around on the field.

So, to this day, I will bow down to the genius Bills fan who started the chop at Rich when the AFC Championship game was in hand. It was like the entire stadium reacted in unison to the Arrowhead taunting from earlier in the year, standing as one and essentially saying @#$% off Arrowhead. It was a beautiful moment and it was quite funny. Ahh, the memory of it still brings a tear to my eye.

I don't think so. Ralph does not like Marty. I don't know exactly why, but I remember when the Bills beat Marty's Chiefs in the AFC Championship at Rich back in 1993 and Marty was not pleased about how the fans treated he and his team and he dissed the Bills and their fans after the game.

Thanks for this, although I recall Marty (also) bringing up Bills fans treatment of Shula as (another) reason. The time frame

you mention jibes with my memory of it. It was definitely mentioned in the newspapers.

Say goodbye to the bills Ralph's time is short and we are doomed...No ownership group will save this national joke now...! What a f'n legacy!

It sounds to me like Ralph Wilson just guaranteed the playoffs with Chan Gailey, because otherwise, there's no freaking way he lives this down.

For all that wish a "dirt nap" upon Mr. Wilson, please see this thread, and take extra notice of the OP's identity:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=106501

RELIABILITY METER

#1- nevergiveup

#2- kelly blue book

#3- farmers almanac

#4- nostradamus

#5- TMZ

#6- punxsutawney phil

#7- weatherman

#8- economist

#9- ESPN Insiders

#10- psychic

#11- Thurman Thomas

I'm calling BS. Marty had said very recently and very publicly that he was done with coaching...

Schottenheimer is going to say he wasn't interested the next time he talks about it publicly, too. That's the gamesmanship involved in these matters.

And Joe Mesi didn't suffer a brain bleed.

I've never been more comfortable with my sourcing, folks. Choose to believe what you want.

Schottenheimer is going to say he wasn't interested the next time he talks about it publicly, too. That's the gamesmanship involved in these matters.

And Joe Mesi didn't suffer a brain bleed.

I've never been more comfortable with my sourcing, folks. Choose to believe what you want.

Thanks Tim. Well done!

This is the most upsetting news of this whole hiring is that we could have had Marty Schottenheimer a great head coach for rebuilding teams. I can't believe the incompetence of this organization. Marty Ball works he has only been out of the league for 3 years and in his last stint the Chargers were pretty damm good.

HEY RALPH AND BRANDON YOU WANT TO SELL SOME SEASON TICKETS HIRE MARTY THE MONEY YOU SAVED BY HIRING GAILEY (A COACH WHO WOULDN'T HAVE EVER GOT AN INTERVIEW WITH ANY OTHER TEAM) WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE THEN MADE UP BY THE SALES MARTY BALL WOULD HAVE BROUGHT. THIS IS THE SADDEST HOUR FOR ME AS A BILLS FAN. WE WERE PROMISED CHANGE AND ALL WE GOT WAS THE DJ ERA PART 2.

Look at Gailey's work since his only real successful run with the Steelers look at his resume. He had a very mediocre run as HC with the Cowboys (He had the tail end of the Dallas dynasty to work with and he had a 10-6 and 8-8 season) Now was his run with Dallas a bad one no but had Gailey really been a good coach he wouldn't have gotten fired by Jerry Jones after an 8-8 season.

So an OK run with Dallas what did he do after. He went to the Fins and never had a very good offense AND THE OFFENSE GOT BETTER ONCE HE LEFT. So a bad run as Fins OC what did he do after well he took the Georgia Tech job. GUESS WHAT HE WAS VERY MEDIOCRE AND THE TEAM GOT BETTER ONCE HE LEFT. OK so what did he do after that he went to KC and became the OC.

Lets look at his run in KC they were ranked 22 when he was there and when he left they plummeted to 25 which was more likely due to Tony Gonzales leaving then anything else. So after a bad run with the fins, a mediocre run with GT (I would argue a bad run), and a bad run with KC who fired him we trusted him to be our HC over a guy like Marty Schottenheimer whose track record far exceeds Gailey's. I COULD RUN THIS TEAM BETTER AND THAT'S NOT HYPERBOLIC AT ALL.

Nix is a good football man. and he has direct experience with little marty. and he said no thanks bud. what does that tell you?!!!

It tells me that Nix wanted Marty and the antiquated, xenophobic, control-freak, sphincter of an owner squashed the idea.

The report, if true, does not say that Nix was not comfortable with Marty, it said that Ralph wasn't.

Nix is a good friend of Marty. Marty knows enough about football and the league to stand up to Ralph and/or Russ if they go in a bad direction. Ralph likes spineless yes-men.

Evidently, Schottenheimer wanted the job, but Wilson pulled the chicken switch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...anted-bills-gig

"...the Bills couldn't consider Schottenheimer a candidate because Wilson wasn't comfortable with him, the sources said." un-effing believable... :w00t:

That's like being uncomfortable with General Schwarzkopf when you have a war to win. Ugh. Ralph, please turn the team over to someone who is "comfortable" with running it. Sheesh!

I hope this story shows those who rant and rail against our front office that nothing happens without Ralph's blessing. Sadly nothing will change until Ralph passes on...and then the team will be sold and moved. Game over.

PTR

I am officially on that bandwagon now Promo - unfortunately. It was nice when I believed that Ralph was simply disinterested and dysfunctional... now I realize that he is a meddling, dysfunctional, source of this team's demise.

Crappers... maybe when he passes away his wife will sell the team to the Kelly-consortium.