Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

I did say that a NEW owner would move the team.

If your really under the belief that this team will be here after Ralph is gone than you have your head in the sand my friend.

Did I not say "as long as Ralph Wilson draws breath"???

PTR

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds horrible enough to be true.

F Ralph.

The guy was head coach in the NFL for two years and went to the playoffs both years. All the teams he was a part of seem to have been, overall, successful. He was fired as Chiefs OC and how did they fare with Todd Haley calling the plays? You're all so damn knowledgeable about what head coach we should hire when you don't know jack shite. I like this hire. Cowher likes him and so do I.

I don't think he was at Denver for any championships. He was an qb coach and then an OC for the late 80s Elway teams. They were pretty good.

Yes, you're right. They were playoff teams, but not champs. I was a decade off.

Still, the guy has a long history of being in the playoffs with dynamic offenses. Isn't fixing the offense what everyone has been clamoring for here? Seems to me this guy might have some positive impact on the draft and FA.

So, Gailey was OC for Denver for a SB champion, and OC in Pittsburgh for 2 division champions, became HC in Dallas and got two playoff appearances out of the caucus of the Cowboy dynasty coming off a 6-10 season, was OC in Miami for two 11 win seasons, and had six winning seasons as HC at GT, when recruiting is hugely overshadowed by bigger programs.

So, the guy has been a HC, can fix the dreadful offense and has been in the playoffs countless times.

What exactly are people complaining about other than he's not a "marque name"? Is it just that bitching and whining about the selection is the popular/cool thing to do??

Frankly, this is a better choice than I expected.

This is Jauron but with the offensive background. Jauron was a very good assistant, he even won Coach of the year but he was terrible.

The reason I wanted a NAME is because it commands teh respect of the guys in the locker room and has the chance to lure FAs here. How many of our players are going to look at Chan Gailey and say "Damn were gonna need to shape up" and how many FAs are gonna say WOW Chan Gailey sign me up with the Bills they have something going on there!

I wanted the name for credibility

Apparently on today's Sportscenter, Shefter is now reporting that it's unlikely Frazier ends up Bills coach. I didn't catch it but understand it comes around the 28 minute mark.

Didn't Gailey get stripped of his playcalling duties and get demoted in Kansas City?? Great hire, if true :thumbsup:

Yeah Haley took over as play called and that offense ROLLED -over.

I had heard Cowher was touting Gailey as his OC in his talks with the Bills. In fact that is what put Gailey on the Bills radar in the first place.

PTR

I heard that too.

Logic tree:

- All good coordinators do not necessarily make good head coaches

- Past coordinator success is often but not always a predictor of future coordinating success

- Past head coaching success is often but not always a predictor of future head coaching success

- Gailey had good success as OC, minimal success as HC

- Gailey would be an acceptable choice for our OC but not for our HC

Just bc Cowher thought he'd make a good OC for us (and he might), I'm surprised and disappointed that the front office is overlooking his inability to be successful as a head coach. I wonder how Russ can possibly convince us otherwise.

[sigh]

This is Jauron but with the offensive background. Jauron was a very good assistant, he even won Coach of the year but he was terrible.

The reason I wanted a NAME is because it commands teh respect of the guys in the locker room and has the chance to lure FAs here. How many of our players are going to look at Chan Gailey and say "Damn were gonna need to shape up" and how many FAs are gonna say WOW Chan Gailey sign me up with the Bills they have something going on there!

I wanted the name for credibility

Yeah, because judging a coach by 'name' is always a path to success. :thumbsup:

And what "name" did you want that had any interest in this job? Cowher wasn't coming.

We all want a coach with Super Bowl rings and no losing seasons, but who's also a young up-n-comer who's never been fired, and wants to coach in Buffalo :censored: What's so hard to understand?

PTR

:wallbash:

well we could have easily beaten the Jets twice. They're in the AFC championship game. We can't be that bad.

How does this show that the Bills have a 53 man roster that is better than a fairly large number of other teams? Note: I never said they did or they didn't. At least point to some sort of fact or stat or argument, not just hyperbole.

I never said they had the worst roster. I never said the Bills were the worst at everything. You're just pissed that I called you on your baseless claims. If they are not baseless, pony up the facts that support the claims, not indignant posturing, straw-man building, and changing the subject. In short, grow a sack.

And i did back up my claims. What do you not get? My point has been that they don't have the worst roster in the league. I have already ponied up facts.

If you believe that the Bills are a bottom 2-3 roster, then why are there always 7-8 teams worse than the Bills? I could go through every roster, but it would be completely pointless, as it would take a ridiculously long time to familiarize one's self with the talent of each roster in the NFL.

However, you can grow a sack and either admit you are wrong, or actually perform the analysis, because as of right now, you have no facts on your side.

He's an awful coach, which is why Bill Cowher chose him to be his successor in Pittsburgh.

Keep in mind that Cowher was touting Gailey as a successor to an already rock solid organization with a QB and coordinators in place.

This is a rebuild. It makes a difference.

Do you really think Jim Caldwell would have done a better job than Rex Ryan if he were hired to run the Jets instead of the Colts? He went 14-2, Rex only went 9-7. My guess is without Peyton, Moore and Mudd Caldwell would have been fired by now. He's nothing special. He was a loser HC who was fired at Wake Forest.

It's all relative, and in this case the Bills are in need of an organization and culture changing hire.

Gailey was just an ex-Steeler who could have transitioned into the job. All that said, the real experts were the Steeler organization and they said no to Gailey. Don't even know if they interviewed him. They seem to understand that you don't bring in coaches who are going to immediately be questioned for their spotty past. A good portion of the job is selling the system to the players, which is why a guy like Parcells comes in, makes a lot of highly questionable moves and still usually comes out smelling like a rose. His teams run thru a brick wall for him(or his coach Sparano) initially and they truly believe in him because of his track record. Gailey was fired in Dallas, run out of GA Tech and fired in KC. The guy blew nobody away with his work the past decade. At best, he is VERY cold product.

If they hire Gailey, the key will be putting significantly better personnel on the field than anyone else in the AFC East. They might have been able to get away with less talent with a better coach, but they are laying it all at the feet of Tom Modrak, John Guy and of course Buddy Nix with this move. Based on track record, I'm not loving those odds.

I've read up on Gailey and I don't see a big problem.

Worked on 11 playoff teams, was OC for Miami during consecutive 11-5 seasons, coached in a Super Bowl w/Pittsburgh.

Reputation as a good teacher, innovative offensive mind.

I agree. Let's face it, he's not a sexy choice, but compared to Dick Jauron's one season of success as a HC, Gailey is practically a Hall of Famer by comparison. I would be far more interested to see who he would bring in as OC and DC, and then pass judgement.

Let me try and put a positive spin on Gailey-

-After a mediocre 96 and 97 Emmitt Smith under Gailey had his 2 best years since the Cowboys superbowl run

-Gailey was 10-6 his first season despite Aikman only playing 11 games

-In 98 Aikman had his highest QB rating since the superbowl years

-Ranked in the top 10 in rushing attempts and rushing yards both years

-Had top 5 defenses both seasons

Now all we need is Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith in their prime!!! :thumbsup::censored::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

If you believe that the Bills will move after Ralph dies, then you have your head in the sand my friend. There is a far greater possibility that the Bills stay in Buffalo.

I'd bet my house this team is gone after he dies*. Anyone who says they're staying has a poor understanding of fundamental business economics and the concepts of debt and return on investment. The NFL, despite what your heart wishes, is not a band of merry owners looking to win, they're investors looking to make profit first, and win second.

* The caveat is that his family sells the team. They're not dedicated Buffalonians like the Rooney clan are Pittsburgers (is the right?)!).

Now all we need is Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith in their prime!!! :thumbsup::censored::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

This wasn't in their prime. Aikman retired a year after Gailey left and Emmitt missed the pro-bowl for 2 straight seasons before Gailey arrived. Prior to that he had made every pro-bowl from 90-95.

Frankly, I usually dip into the kool-aid during the triennial "new coach is a-comin'" season, but this time we're talking about an past-his-prime guy who has been on a steady spiral downward since peaking as the OC in mid-1990s Pitt. He was a mediocre coach for the Cowboys, a team with a great roster (yes, Aikman/Irvin/Smith and the o-line were still good, as was the D). Following that, he was an average OC for Miami, a mediocre coach at GT, and roadkill in KC, bumped off by Pioli et al. Plus he's had a freaking heart attack.

Now all we need is Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith in their prime!!! :w00t::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::sick::sick:

First of all, that was far from their prime, but rather at the end of their careers. Secondly, if you are searching for a coach that can win without talent, you are not going to find one. You can lose with talent, but you cannot win without it. We all want to believe that hiring a name coach would solve the problems because that should have been easier than getting a major talent infusion. Should be easier after all to hire one person than replace multiple players. But it would not have made much of a difference. No coach could win many more than 6 games with this team as it now stands.

First of all, that was far from their prime, but rather at the end of their careers. Secondly, if you are searching for a coach that can win without talent, you are not going to find one. You can lose with talent, but you cannot win without it. We all want to believe that hiring a name coach would solve the problems because that should have been easier than getting a major talent infusion. Should be easier after all to hire one person than replace multiple players. But it would not have made much of a difference. No coach could win many more than 6 games with this team as it now stands.

Chan !@#$ing Gailey is not the !@#$ing answer. I won't waste my time arguing this point with anyone who isn't intelligent enough to understand.